'65 Vista Cruiser conversion project

Old April 26th, 2017, 12:44 AM

'65 Vista Cruiser conversion project

Hello all,

I'm new to the group. I recently picked up a '65 Vista Cruiser that I absolutely LOVE! The only downfall is that it didn't have a third row. My husband recently found one for me at a classic car junk yard and picked it up along with the second row split seats. We are now having a disagreement. We can't find very many interior pictures but from the ones we've seen, he thinks that the bodies are different because of how the 3rd row seat fits in our car and he's hesitant to change out the middle bench seat for the split seats. I think they are the same. Can anyone help me out with this. Can you just convert a Vista that came with only two rows from the factory to a 3 row car or are they actually different?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Vista.jpg (98.6 KB, 84 views)
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Olds Collector

The 65 Vista came with either 2 or 3 seats. So the wagon is the same; however, many parts are different. The seats of course plus the bracket in between the second row seats to attach and let the second row seats hinge back and forth. The whole rear load floor is different, clearly the third seat replaces part of the load floor leaving the storage compartment with a different size to make up the difference of the two part third seat when folded closed. I do think it is a lot of work to get the seats installed correctly and unless you really need the extra seating, I might reconsider the project. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:07 AM

Thank you for the advice Trent! My husband was able to get all of the pieces needed from a Vista Cruiser at the junk yard. He bought the third row, the second row seats, the hatch to reduce the storage size behind the third row. He actually has already put the third row in and reduced the storage size in the back but then he decided he didn't want to replace the second row bench seat because he's convinced that the car itself between the second and third row looks different and it won't be the same anyway. I think it's exactly the same. So I think what you're saying is that the brackets and back is different but if we take the second row bench seat out, the other second row will fit in just fine but may need some re-welding to mount it, correct?
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Olds Collector

Yup, the second row brackets are different because of the two part seat. The middle row in the three seater is a lot more complicated that the middle row in a two seater. With the three seat version the flaps on the back of the middle row seats have hinges to control the flaps on the back to complete the load floor. It think the brackets are bolted to the floor, not welded. With the two seat version, the load floor is completed every time the seat is folded with a simple hinge. The three seat version has the option to either complete the load floor for hauling or using the third seat with the middle row down. You are most welcome for the help. Trent in Los Angeles
Old April 27th, 2017, 08:28 AM

same year as mine, but you have a roof rack. Wish i had one too....
beautiful two tone car.
I only have a two seater.... sorry, cant help you with the conversion

John
Old April 27th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Olds Collector

Hi John: While the roof rack might be useful, I was enjoying the photos of your car without the rack. I do think the window style is more pronounced without the rack. Not sure if you need the storage but you could use a temp rack clamped to the window rails if needed and then remove it for back to styling around town. Just my .02 cents. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:58 PM

love the 2 tone colors
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:50 PM

The bodies are not different. Do you have the floor brackets and all the 3rd seat hardware and brackets from the donor 3 seat car? I converted my 64 Vista from a 2 seat to a 3 seat. My donor car was rusted way beyond repair. First I took pictures of the second seat floor bracket locations in the donor car and removed them from the car by drilling out the spot welds. A lot of work. I just kept resharpening my drill bits. Remove the floor brackets from the 2 seat car because none of them will work with the split second seat.
The donor car brackets will actually fit in the contours of the floor making it pretty easy for proper placement. It was a lot of work but turned out well. Good luck.
Ron
Old December 24th, 2017, 02:12 PM

My question is whether there is a difference in the floorboards or the actual storage well in the way back? Are those componants the same? I thought there was a difference and that the pans would have to be cut out from a three seater car and welded in. To me they look identical. Thanks!
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:57 PM

Yes the 2 seat and 3 seat floors from front to back are exactly the same in the 64. I would bet that all the Vista wagon floors are the same. The only differences are the seat floor brackets that are spot welded onto the floor.
Old December 27th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcwjr
Yes the 2 seat and 3 seat floors from front to back are exactly the same in the 64. I would bet that all the Vista wagon floors are the same. The only differences are the seat floor brackets that are spot welded onto the floor.
The parts book shows different part numbers for the rear pan for 2 seat vs 3 seat Vistas for every year. For 1964, the pan for 2 seats is P/N 4413972. For 3 seats it is P/N 4414005. I don not know if the difference is simply the welded on brackets for the third seat or some other difference. It's called a "pan assembly" and includes cross braces as well as the pan.

For 1965, 2 seat is 4532576 and 3 seat is 4532577.
For 1966, 2 seat is 4545556 and 3 seat is 4545558.
For 1967, 2 seat is 7678846 and 3 seat is 7678847.
For 1968, 2 seat is 7747217 and 3 seat is 7747218.
For 1969-70, 2 seat is 8741375 and 3 seat is 8741414.
For 1971, 2 seat is 9809173 and 3 seat is 9809175.
For 1972, 2 seat is 9885648 and 3 seat is 9885649.
Old December 29th, 2017, 05:47 PM

Hmmm, interesting about the different floor pan numbers. I am definitely an
amateur car restorer but when I stripped the 64 Vista parts car and I stripped the interior bare, I compared my original two seat floor pan to the three seat parts car floor pan and noticed they were identical. Just passing on what I observed. I have a lot of pictures, just need to take time to post them.
Ron
Old December 29th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcwjr
Hmmm, interesting about the different floor pan numbers.
As I said, the different part numbers may only reflect additional welded-on brackets. It may also reflect differences in the braces under the floorpan. The parts book doesn't specify the differences.