Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 Needle Bearing Kingpins

Old October 25th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Brent in Georgia

55 Needle Bearing Kingpins

After waiting 4 months for Stainless Steel Brake Corp (SSBC.COM) to put together a needle bearing kingpin kit, I got them installed. Kit includes ss pins, 8 ss needle bearings, thrust bearings and a driver to install the bearings. I did modify the pins, the lube hole was between each pair of needle bearings, I drilled 4 extra 1/8 holes in the center of each bearing position so the grease goes directly into the bearings. Also the slot in the pins was milled too deep, when the lock pin was installed the pin was not rigid in the spindle as after 60 years the original pins had worn the hole egg shape some. I added 2 3/8 set screws to each to lock the pins in place.

Install was fairly simple, as I had both front wheel assemblys all cleaned and painted....I had 4 months! The instructions are well written and make it simple. This was a worthwhile $375 and 4 month wait as my manual steering Rocket 88 steers 200% easier. Also replaced all the a arm pivots, new springs and cleaned and painted everything. The springs are brand new but just a little too long. The upper a arm is almost out of travel. But I have been told that they will settle some.

Now I need to find a frontend shop that will align it. First one I asked said he did not do kingpin front ends, guess I need to find an "old timer shop"
It rides real good now, even if a little stiff, I have a spinner **** on the steering wheel and now I can turn the wheels standing still with one hand, it took 2 hands before.

Last edited by blento; October 25th, 2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:58 AM

I'm curious? On a standard kingpin job you install the bushings and then use a long pilot reamer with a centering cone. The idea as I understand it is to be able to size and align the bearing at one time in the field. Did you have to send them the knuckles to have them line bored for the needle bearings?

Jeff K.
Old October 26th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Brent in Georgia

No Machining or reaming needed!

The king pin holes in the spindle and the knuckle are precision bored on the 55, I do no know about the older years. No reaming is needed to install bushings or or needle bearings. Usually all that is needed is maybe a quick hone just to clean out any nicks or buggers. The bores in the spindle casting, for the bushings or needle bearings are 25 mm (.984"). The bore in brass bushings, depending on the supplier, is usually also finished to the correct size. But after driving them into the spindle bores they usually compress a little. It is best to fit them to a nice snug sliding fit, the same hone can be used, the pin diam. is .860". I messed up once by not checking the fit of the pin in the new bushings and by DRIVING in the pin I destroyed the bushings. If they fit too tight it will affect the steering and they will wear much too quickly.The pins and bearings from SSBC are already the correct sizes. All I had to do was lightly hone the spindle casting holes so the bearings would go in with just a light tap. SSBC provides a driver with the kit making the job really easy.

I really recommend SSBC and their "Royal" pin kits, BUT-BUT-BUT, CALL them when ordering and DO NOT buy thru a distributor, they will not give you a delivery date that actually happens, SSBC customers get priority ..I waited 4 months because I ordered thru Autoplicity to save a couple bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said in my original post, the needle bearings reduced the steering effort a lot, maybe not power steering easy but now even a woman could handle the Rocket now.

Hey Guys ......keep them Oldsmobile's rolling!