Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

What steering wheels fit a '48?

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2015, 09:31 AM
zii

What steering wheels fit a '48?

I have no idea what steering wheels might fit a 1948 Series 66.
Do they use the same splines as something else?

Once I get another steering gear on the car, the original wheel will be way too large so I'll probably get some aftermarket steering wheel instead.
Old June 28th, 2015, 11:01 AM

Steering Wheel on '48

Originally Posted by zii
I have no idea what steering wheels might fit a 1948 Series 66.
Do they use the same splines as something else?

Once I get another steering gear on the car, the original wheel will be way too large so I'll probably get some aftermarket steering wheel instead.

If you are talking about changing out the column I'd suggest a GM column from the 70s or 80s then just about any GM or aftermarket wheel will fit. The aftermarket manufacturers make kits to adapt their steering wheel to splines if necessary. My 47 has a mid-70s Pontiac column and while its still a non-driver I've got a steering wheel from a 70s Chevy van. Not fancy nor a keeper but it does to move it around the shop or up and down the driveway for brake checks and such.

You are correct that the original wheel is too large once you go to something besides manual steering on the original column. It would work but just looks and feels awkward. What you might consider if you like the look of the original is cutting it down to a smaller diameter and re-casting the outside rim of the steering wheel or having it done. There is quite a bit of information on the Internet about this option. I'm still considering it and will see when other major expenses like paint and upholstery are done whether the budget will allow it. My original steering wheel does fit on my later model GM column splines.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
47 Olds GM column 001.jpg (185.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
SB Avatar photo.jpg (93.7 KB, 14 views)
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:22 PM
zii

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible

My original steering wheel does fit on my later model GM column splines.
What is a "later model" in this context?
Old June 28th, 2015, 02:06 PM

More Steering wheel information

Originally Posted by zii
What is a "later model" in this context?
By "later model" I meant newer. Poor choice of words on my part.

My steering column is from a 1970s Pontiac according to a Portland, Oregon man, Terry Sorvik, who buys and sells, repairs and installs GM columns including tilt columns. He knows more about them than I ever will. When the time comes that you might need some advice or parts for a used factory GM steering column he would be one source. His email: tonkdejur@earthlink.net

New aftermarket columns are available from companies like Flaming River and some others and for owners outside the USA and Canada, they might be a better option as I imagine there are not wrecking yards full of old GM cars where you live that can be a source of used parts.
Jerry

Last edited by 47 Convertible; June 28th, 2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: clarify