Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Difference in 54 Super88 and 88 - and where to find parts?

Old February 27th, 2014, 05:03 AM

Difference in 54 Super88 and 88 - and where to find parts?

I am planning to "restore" a 54 Olds - first problem is that I'm not sure if it's an 88 or a Super88 - or if it really matters in terms of looking for parts.

I have done some digging, and apparently supers had a 4bbl and others had a 2bbl? This car had a 4bbl, but I don't know if it was original equip.

(the car was my father-in-law's - it's been parked in a basement since 1970, and he passed away several years ago. He was a mechanic, so it's easily believable that he swapped the carb)

I've never done anything like this so I don't know where to look for parts - I'd love any suggestions on the best place to look.

Yes, I'm lost... I hope someone can help start me in the right direction.
Old February 27th, 2014, 05:27 AM

It's a super when it takes off it's glasses and rips it's shirt open
Old February 27th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Welcome to the site.

As to your first question - the VIN is your answer...

First 3 digits - "547..." is a 'regular' 88, "548" is a 'Super' 88

for the most part, the regular 88's had 2 bbl carbs, but the 4 bbl was optional as a 'power pac' - or as you said, it could have been switched

For parts, Fusick is the biggest supplier of reproduction parts

http://fusick.com/catalogdownload.htm

Download Catalog 560

If he doesn't have it, you'll have to scour the earth, just like the rest of us!

If you have specific needs, post them - people here are helpful.

And we love photos...

Good luck
Old February 27th, 2014, 05:55 AM

It's got the hood off now, so I guess that's close to ripping it's shirt off

I had looked, obviously not hard enough, for a vin decoder that could tell me a while back. I've started to start on this a couple of times over the past few years - but I'm just now seriously planning to get it done. It spent about 7 months at a shop that was going to do all of the work for me. I found that I was being shafted/scammed/whatever, so a mechanic buddy is going to help me do it "myself" (meaning I find parts and hand him tools LOL)

See if this works for some pics..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=049dbfa2a5

For now I've been told to find radiator hoses, heater hoses, heater blower motor, and electric wiper conversion - the block, heads and crank are at the machine shop, and the trans is at another shop being rebuilt. We are currently just stripping the engine bay to see where we are - the reason for the current strange list of parts he sent me after..
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:57 AM

If you have the old hoses(radiator and heater) take them to your local auto parts store they can match them up with what they have, thats standard stuff and you don't need to buy from a specialty supplier.The blower motor, if not to damaged can be rebuilt or if you have the numbers on it try Granger or an electrical shop. I believe mine is a new motor and is an exact duplicate of the Olds. You can get a new electric wiper motor from Newport Industries. Try a search on this forum on electric wiper motor replacement, there is a thread that will walk you through this with ease and save you some grief ...Hope this helps some of us have been where your are many times, each time it gets easier....Tedd

here are a couple links that should help....https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-electric.html...............................
..https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oday-55-a.html....
https://www.newportwipers.com/index.php

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; February 27th, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:34 PM

1954 OLDS parts

And, if you would prefer an option to Fusick's (off-shore) reproduction items
and not having to scour the earth for endless hours and hours and finding a piece here and a piece there --- I have planty of N.O.S. items in the mechanical world --- brakes, front end, ignition, electrical, engine parts, and on and on...... sorry, no cosmetic, interior, or "used" parts -- fenders, quarters, etc. --- that's where this website is SPECTACULAR -- you're linked with lots of other people who have these cars and parts cars.....

If ever you need me, call Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935... New York .. anytime!!!
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:02 AM

Thanks everyone! I checked and it is a Super.. WooHoo - LOL... It's a neat car with a good family history (my wife was brought home from the hospital in it when she was born).

Now that I am actually working on getting it on the road, I'm getting more and more anxious.

I don't think the facebook gallery link worked, so here are a couple of pics...

This is where it sat from 1970-2005

Engine bay now:

Just had to see what the dash would look like.. spent about 30 minutes with a bottle of all-surface windex:

Old February 28th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

awesome!! love those tri-white walls
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:17 AM

those tires are long gone - they were dry rotted beyond a point I'd attempt driving on them, mismatched front to rear, etc... That is the ONE thing the shop it was at did - replace the tires - It's on new vintage wide whitewalls now.

I kinda looked and didn't see any - but do people ever start rebuild/restore threads to just post pictures and updates of their projects?
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by rctoyguy

I kinda looked and didn't see any - but do people ever start rebuild/restore threads to just post pictures and updates of their projects?
Absolutely start a thread

Here's mine (needs updating, but...)

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html
Old February 28th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I love 54's. This is a special car to your family and it is good to see it being restored. The steering wheel looks like it has power steering on the top of it. I would love to have one of those. They are pretty rare.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I love 54's. This is a special car to your family and it is good to see it being restored. The steering wheel looks like it has power steering on the top of it. I would love to have one of those. They are pretty rare.
I thought that steering wheel was a 53 fiesta wheel only thing, and if that wheel is cracked (looks like it from the picture) it can be repaired like near new even with all the cracks.....Tedd
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM

Great looking car and it looks very solid and complete. That should make the project go much faster and be easier on your budget.

I'm not an expert on these cars but for some reason I was thinking a Super 88 came with a padded dash. But since there is not one on this car I guess that can't be the case?

Honestly, I need to stop looking at threads like this because I start to get too many ideas running around in my head as I really like these 54 88's.

Brian
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by 69442C
Great looking car and it looks very solid and complete. That should make the project go much faster and be easier on your budget.

I'm not an expert on these cars but for some reason I was thinking a Super 88 came with a padded dash. But since there is not one on this car I guess that can't be the case?

Honestly, I need to stop looking at threads like this because I start to get too many ideas running around in my head as I really like these 54 88's.

Brian
I think the padded dash was a lot more common on the 98 than the 88 or Super 88 although I have several on Super 88's but they were not standard. I thought backup lights were standard on the Super 88 but found out recently they were not. I don't remember ever seeing a Super 88 without backup lights. The big thing was the Super 88 basically had the 98 engine with the 4 barrel carb. There were a couple extra outside trim items and the interiors were nicer on the Super 88.
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:43 AM

Nice looking car, she should clean up well!

Mark
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think the padded dash was a lot more common on the 98 than the 88 or Super 88 although I have several on Super 88's but they were not standard. I thought backup lights were standard on the Super 88 but found out recently they were not. I don't remember ever seeing a Super 88 without backup lights. The big thing was the Super 88 basically had the 98 engine with the 4 barrel carb. There were a couple extra outside trim items and the interiors were nicer on the Super 88.
Thanks for the info.