Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Amphicar

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Smile Amphicar

Last year, I had this burning desire for an Amphicar. Seeing what they cost, I had a "Flash of Sanity" and just sat in the corner until my desire for one went away.

But this year the price of gas "flung a craving on me" again cause they get 30 MPG.

Will some one tell me something like.

" Labratroy test on mice have shown Amphicars may cause cancer in California "

I still think I want one.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Past Administrator

Labratroy test on mice have shown Amphicars may cause cancer in California
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM

This may help...

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658498,00.html

...known as world's most aerodynamic anchor.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; June 30th, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Smile Tanks

Thanks for the link. I had to LMAO cause just yesterday I stopped to look at 63 Corvair [that I saw was on the Worst Car list also]
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Frankly, most of those "worst cars" are ones I wouldn't mind owning. The Corvair was perfectly fine, even with the swing axle rear suspension on the early cars (why didn't Nader go after VW, which kept the swing axle long after Chevy changed the Corvair rear suspension?). I've always liked the Gremlin, especially the 401 Gremlins build by Randal AMC in Mesa, AZ.

If you ask Time magazine, I'll bet they put any car with 455 cu in that gets 11 mpg on their list...
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM

I agree but don't remember

I agreee Joe and just yesterday [after seeing the Corvair] I was trying to remember who put straps around the axles [ what I think we used to called Independent rear suspension] to keep them from folding under. Was it Jag XK-E?

I am so old I don't even by Green Bananas
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Registered

I remember an amphicar sitting in the OK used cars lot for 75 bucks, sat forever, I wanted the 125 dollar '57 Chebby convertible. The local top 40 radio station had one for promos with their logo painted all over it. My dad had a boat and we were next to the DJ guy in the car going up the river to the lake, the thing had about a foot or less from the water to the top of the door, panicked every time he hit a small wake. The cool DJ chickened out and turned around before getting to the lake of course, we were really curious to see that thing when it hit the breakers at the mouth of the river. I heard they aren't good cars and are even worse boats. But then again they are cool and it would be rare to see another one out on the mighty sea, let alone driving toward you on the road. Put a sail on it and you could get even better MPG's.

Allan
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Jamesbo - I think you have a rare form of "Spring Fever" I used to get stricken with a similar form when I was in my 20's. (Wanting a bigger bike, motorcycle every summer) Sadly there is no known cure (or pill) for this. Best advice I can give as a "Fever" survivor is: Let the wife hold the checkbook & credit cards till the fever passes. And if you have an eBay account have her change your password! Just till it passes. And Good Luck buddy, I know your pain!!

Joe - I agree with some of yours. I've always liked the Corvairs. And I'm a fan of the Gremlins. Never seen the 401's. But the Gremlin X's with 304's were a blast to drive! Since you mentioned AMC's, I see a few Javelins and AMX's out here.

Don
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
...And I'm a fan of the Gremlins. Never seen the 401's...
Yeah, few were made. Randall AMC was sort of like the Nickey Chevrolet of American Motors. They built and sold 401-powered Gremlins, Jeeps, and even Pacers.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Oldsdruid

Just toddle yo'sef over to www.aaca.org forums and you'll find several folks who own (and drive/sail the snot out of) the little German car-boats.

What does Time magazine know about cars? Like Consumer Reports, a lot of the cars they rave about are about as exciting as a washing machine.
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
What does Time magazine know about cars? Like Consumer Reports, a lot of the cars they rave about are about as exciting as a washing machine.
Hehe... Many of the new cars are even available in "Maytag White!"

Yep, I agree how you feel. They are quite biased and seem to only rate on being practical (and boring), not unique, powerful, etc.
Many cars they have rated poor I have heard rated 'excellent' by people who own them.
I like many of those "worst cars". The Amphicar, Gremlin, Pinto, and Cadillac 8-6-4 in particular...

The Amphicar is neat. Beats storing a boat if you only go to the lake a few times a year!! Just have extra sump pumps ready. Watch peoples' expressions as you drive down the boat ramp yelling that your brakes won't work!

Heck, Cadillac learned a lot from their failure and they reenginered that concept into the Northstar system in the early 90's. My 97 Caddy has it and is flawless. That also made it possible to run 50 miles without coolant. Now, everyone is copying it.

I never rode in a Gremlin, but I heard that those rivets in the authentic "Levi's" interiors caused nasty burns in the summer! A V8 in one would be cool... Kinda like the V8 Vega... Didnt those come with all-aluminum blocks?

And i am (somewhat) proud to admit my 78 Ford IS a Pinto... It will NOT die! Since my mom bought it in 78, it was been the most reliable thing I have seen... I have even taken people at work home when their new jap car would not start... It has also been hit 3 times in the back without incident. After 150K+, I am wondering when the clutch will finally break! If it really was the "worst", how come they sold 380K of them when they came out in 71? In 72-74 sales were over 520K each year. In 75, it was 620K. (76 to 80 are unknown, as my book stopped at 75).
Yes the bumper and gas tank flaw caused some fires and deaths, but in considering the bad wrecks among so many cars, it was blown out of proportion. I have heard of many a newer Jap cars blowing up in bad wrecks, so no vehicle is totally immune.

Anyway, I just get what I like and who cares what they think. Like has been said, they are not for COOL cars!

---Great. Now I am searching the classified for an Amphicar...
Thanks, Jamesbo...

Old July 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I never rode in a Gremlin, but I heard that those rivets in the authentic "Levi's" interiors caused nasty burns in the summer! A V8 in one would be cool... Kinda like the V8 Vega... Didnt those come with all-aluminum blocks?
What all-aluminum blocks? The Vega 4 cyl?

Speaking of V8 Vegas (and bringing this back in the general direction of Oldsmobiles), years ago I built a V8 Vega using an aluminum Olds 215. The beauty of that swap is that the fully dressed 215 only weighs 20 lbs more than the stock Vega motor. Handling was not screwed up the way it is with an SBC swap. I loved driving that car, but unfortunately it rusted out from under me, despite spending it's whole life in Los Angeles county.

My fantasy economy car is another Vega with a supercharged Quad 4 and a 5 spd. My goal is 30 mpg and 13 flat in the quarter. Of course, the problem is finding a Vega...
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM

What would you guess the MPG for a standard 2-2's Corvair would be. Not a Monza, just a plain ole square 63 box? Unfortunately it has the funny dash stick auto in it.
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Jamesbo,
You have one of the best looking garages I've seen for a while. Why are you considering boatcars and 70's economy cars when you already have a great lineup. If I had your car lineup I'd just grit my teeth at the pump and then smile during my 10mpg cruises. Most people only dream of getting a collection like that. If gas prices are getting you down, install highway gears or an overdrive trans. But drive those beauties.
PS - no offense to vega or monza fans. I think they are cool too but not when parked next to Jbo's cars.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Exclamation Amphicar

Believe it or not there is one of those that is floating around in an inlet around here and there is a guy a few towns over that works on them and has one in his garage now. I always thought they were cool.
Doug.
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Amphicars. Interesting.