Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Treadle Vac Brake Question?

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM

Treadle Vac Brake Question?

On A '55 With Bendix Brakes ,If Pedal Goes To Floor After Being Depressed
A Minute Or So, And Will Not Come Back Up Immediately, Is The Problem
Inside The Booster/ Master Cylinder Or Could It Be Possible Low Vacuum Or Check Valve? thanks Larry
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:23 AM

I wouldn't think the peddle would go to the floor and stay there unless you have fluid leak down somewhere in the system, could be leaking around the seals in the master cylinder and back to the reservoir and still not show. Are you losing fluid somewhere in the system, wheel cylinders, hoses, lines or proportion valves all dry? Also you can check for vacuum leak by undoing the vacuum tank hose (engine off) and listen for the sound of rushing air as it releases.I am assuming you have good vacuum at the engine....Tedd
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:07 AM

Tedd, Thanks For The Reply.. don't Think I Have Any Noticeable Leaks And Fluid Level Is Staying Up. this Has Only Happened Twice, But The Pedal Is Very Slow To Come Back Up,Unless I Cut The Engine Off , Then It Comes Back Up With Brakes Feeling Normal!
Thanks, Larry
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:28 PM

Tedd,This is Rocketowner With the'55 Super 88 That You And Several Others Wanted Me To Send A Photo..I'm Trying To Send One I have On My Cellphone ,But I Must Have The E-Mail Address Wrong. Just Hoped You Would Be Kind Enough To Help Me With That Information.
Thanks,Larry
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:46 PM

I know little about cell phones and how they send a photo to this site by them, but the regular method is to click on the attachment icon next to the smiley face at the top of the reply to thread, Then when the manage attachment prompt comes up it will display a list of five browse options. Click on this browse window and select a photo from your list of photos (usually found in my pictures in a regular computer), hit upload at the top of the prompt this should attach the photo to your post, if not a problem may have just happen because your photo is to large a file, this is a common problem and your photo will not load . You will now have to reduce the file size of your photo and try again....I know what a pain in the butt but that is the only way I know how to do this...If anyone knows a easier way please chime in......Tedd
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:08 AM

Tedd,Thanks For Your Help About Placing Photos.Sometimes An O'le "Country Boy" from The Hills Of Tennessee Needs A Little Jump Start! Thanks Larry
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:02 PM

Not all country boys are from the hills of Tennessee. if you see where I live you would feel quite at home....From the hills(mountains) of north east California....Tedd
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM
Railroad Mike

Talking country boys

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Not all country boys are from the hills of Tennessee. if you see where I live you would feel quite at home....From the hills(mountains) of north east California....Tedd
Not all Tennessee boys are country boys either. RR Mike-Tennessee
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
On A '55 With Bendix Brakes ,If Pedal Goes To Floor After Being Depressed
A Minute Or So, And Will Not Come Back Up Immediately, Is The Problem
Inside The Booster/ Master Cylinder Or Could It Be Possible Low Vacuum Or Check Valve? thanks Larry

Larry - I have the Moraine unit in my 56. I sent it out to be rebuilt a couple of years ago. When I got it back a tag was attached to the unit instructing me to install a return spring. Maybe that would help you.
Rick
Attached Images
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:51 PM

Hey,That Will Certainly Be Worth A Try. Thanks,Larry
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:17 PM

Hi Larry,
have you found out what's wrong with your Treadle Vac? I assume the return spring will not help on your BTV!
I got quite the same problem. Think I have some problems with low vacuum, when I remove the air cleaner everything works pretty fine. But I'm still on it, because the previous owner did some "modifications" on the wiring :-( and as fare I see by now, he disconnected the vacuum tank valve and used a different Stop Light Switch (this switch has only two terminals, instead of four on the OEM ) .
I’m rebuilding the Vac Solenoid at the moment (was unused at least for 30 years) and if you are interested, I let you know if get a better vacuum after hooking it up again.
Monaco

BTW: Not all Tennessee boys are country boys either. Greetings from Bavaria!

Last edited by monaco; April 8th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:03 AM

To Monoco, No, I Have OrderedA Rebuild Kit And I Think My Master Cylinder Is "Leaking Down" . I Will Repost After It Is Built As To How Everything Went! Larry (Rocketowner)
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:53 AM

I rebuilded my Master Cylinder/Vacuum Pump and the Rochester 4GC (7005900) as well this Winter. And still got not the best vacuum, but now with the repaired Slide Valve (376790) - evey thing works brilliant. Will convert the oem oil bath air filter to paper filter and then, it should be enough for this summer - just cruising around
Wish you good luck, Larry!