Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:42 AM

Nice 36 Jerry, Great to see the 47 coming along as well
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:09 AM

Restoring a convertible can be a very trying/expensive project.. I am just finishing up a restoration/modernization of a '39 Plym conv. cpe.. Been working on the Plym since 1998..The car had sat in an open field in Montana for 38 years.
Looking at the pix of your '36 Chevy, the grilles on the Chevy/Olds in '36 were very similar, I noted that you used what appears to be '40 Chevy headlight pods in lieu of the stockers.. This is always a neat trick.. I have a '36 Ford cpe which I have owned for over sixty years. I put '40 Chevy headlight pods on it in the early '50's, took them off in the early '60's in favor of the stock headlights..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
39 Plym.6-96.1.jpg (50.6 KB, 24 views)
39 Plym 9-09.1.jpg (63.0 KB, 35 views)
39 Plym 9-09.2.jpg (52.2 KB, 21 views)
36 Ford '61.jpg (56.2 KB, 21 views)
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:04 PM

Thanks to Olds Dad, Pat and blucar for the comments. Re. the headlights on the 36, you are very close.They are 41 Chevy pickup with the parking light appendage taken off the top. I will be very happy if the 47 Convertible turns out as nice as that 39 Plymouth.
Jerry
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Thanks to Olds Dad, Pat and blucar for the comments. Re. the headlights on the 36, you are very close.They are 41 Chevy pickup with the parking light appendage taken off the top. I will be very happy if the 47 Convertible turns out as nice as that 39 Plymouth.
Jerry
Thank you for the kind words Jerry.. The '40 Chevy passenger car headlight pods and the '41/48 trk pods are the same except for the "appendage" on the top of the trk headlights.. The car pods only had a small chrome strip.
The modification to the Ford was fairly easy, that is if the pods were not molded (Frenched) into the fender. The GM pod would cover the original headlight stand-off on the fender.. Of course the GM '30's headlights mounted to the side of the grille shell.
The use of Chevy headlight pods on the '35/36 Fords, etc., is generally referred to as being the "Bay Area/San Francisco" style.. It appears as how, that area was the origin of the modification, in the late '40's
My Plym was a very difficult project, of the 5,1k built in '39 there are only 34 known examples left in the world. Probably another fifteen plus sitting in garages/yards that aren't registered to the Plymouth Owners club.. Many parts on the car are '39 Plym conv. only.. It took me over ten years to find the rear quarter panel trim.. The car had been customized, trim removed in the late '40's.. probably in the Bay Area..
I have also ran into the same problem with my '49 Olds Futuramic 88.. Many of the parts needed are '49 Olds only.. Bill
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM

46-48 Rocker Panel Extensions (foot wiper)

This is probably a heck of a long shot but I need some VG or NOS Rocker Panel Extensions for my 47 Convertible. These are the pieces that go under the fender extensions. I need both sides. I thought I could use the existing extensions but after pulling them off yesterday and looking at them closely and more critically it would take several hours of work to get them straight.

According to what I've read they fit all models of 46-48 Oldsmobiles.

I've looked at pics of the reproduction Chevy rocker panel extensions and they are close but not the same. I checked Fusicks and nothing there.

Any leads or offers very much appreciated. Thanks in advance and I will also post in parts wanted.
Jerry
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:03 AM

This is probably a heck of a long shot but I need some VG or NOS Rocker Panel Extensions for my 47 Convertible. These are the pieces that go under the fender extensions. I need both sides. I thought I could use the existing extensions but after pulling them off yesterday and looking at them closely and more critically it would take several hours of work to get them straight.

I've looked at pics of the reproduction Chevy rocker panel extensions and they are close but not the same. I checked Fusicks and nothing there.

Any leads or offers very much appreciated. Thanks in advance and I will also post in parts wanted.
Jerry
Have you checked with EMS for their patch panels? I used EMS panels on my 49 Olds, they claimed that they were for Chevy and Olds, they were very close, needing slight modifications.. Modifying the panels was easier than fabricating the panels from scratch...
I am currently parting out a '47-48 Chevy, the Chevy's had the fender extensions on the doors like the Olds/Pontiac.. I will check to see what the condition is of the rocker/sill extensions... Maybe they would work for you.. Bill
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Jerry
I could not find these either. I am in the process of reworking mine and they are a pain. I am also missing the metal top part with the rubber strip. I am having a friend machine Aluminum tops that I will clear coat this will look sharp and cover some of the rework issues.
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by blucar
Have you checked with EMS for their patch panels? I used EMS panels on my 49 Olds, they claimed that they were for Chevy and Olds, they were very close, needing slight modifications.. Modifying the panels was easier than fabricating the panels from scratch...
I am currently parting out a '47-48 Chevy, the Chevy's had the fender extensions on the doors like the Olds/Pontiac.. I will check to see what the condition is of the rocker/sill extensions... Maybe they would work for you.. Bill
See picture for comparison of Olds and Chevy rocker extensions. What pic doesn't show is that Chevy is also too short. I took my Olds rocker extension to Chevs of the 40s which is about 20 mi. from me and compared it to their 46-48 and the olds is quite a lot different. Mostly it is longer by about 6 inches at 33.5 in. total and 5.5 wide which is not as wide as the Chevy. There are other differences.

I was too late today to call EMS since I'm on Pacific Time and they are Eastern, but I will call them Thursday and check to see what they have for 1947 Model 66, style 3567. Thanks for that tip.
Attached Images
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:18 PM

See picture for comparison of Olds and Chevy rocker extensions. What pic doesn't show is that Chevy is also too short. I took my Olds rocker extension to Chevs of the 40s which is about 20 mi. from me and compared it to their 46-48 and the olds is quite a lot different. Mostly it is longer by about 6 inches at 33.5 in. total and 5.5 wide which is not as wide as the Chevy. There are other differences.

I was too late today to call EMS since I'm on Pacific Time and they are Eastern, but I will call them Thursday and check to see what they have for 1947 Model 66, style 3567. Thanks for that tip.

That chevy rocker panel lacks the lacks the inside curve radius too. Doesn't look similar at all
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:57 PM

Speaking of the rocker arm extensions and related items, and since I'm going mild custom with mine, does anyone know if the Buick fender extensions and rockers bolt on?

Anyone ever heard of putting them on a model 76 and larger Olds of the same vintage?
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:09 PM

I can't recall seeing Buick fender extensions on an Oldsmobile specifically but it was fashionable at one time to put either a Buick extension or a Buick-like extension on a variety of cars to customize them. I'm guessing probably 46-48 Chevys. Here is a link to a 40 Merc convertible with buick-like extensions: http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_c.../dscn2860.html
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:00 AM

I called EMS today and Bob indicated all they make are the Chevy foot wipe piece. He said Olds and Pontiac were a much different shape. He also said they don't do small custom runs of specific pieces.

I am going to check with a friend who runs a custom sheet metal business in Vancouver, WA to see if it is even possible to get a custom set of the extensions made up. If not I'm going to have to keep on looking to see if I can find a parts car that has a better set of extensions.
Jerry
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:36 PM

As a short follow up to the 9 a.m. post on rocker extensions:

Plan B is to have the sheet metal guy cut a new piece that is the part of the rocker extension that shows with the door closed. He will use a shrinker-stretcher tool to make the slight curve plus he will provide a 90 deg. fold top and bottom so I can weld the new piece to the good part of the existing extensions. I will have to figure something out to cover the top part of the extension as I have the same problem as Pat -- no factory top piece with rubber strip and none to be found.

Last edited by 47 Convertible; March 7th, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:16 PM

Steering gear Needed 42-48 Model 76

Renewing the request for someone who has steering gears (shaft, box and gears) for 42-48 Model 76. One of our members, Viktor Lind from Sweden really needs one for his 1942 Model 76. Any hot rodders who have gone to aftermarket steering or anyone with a spare please let me know and I will contact Viktor. I've been looking in all the old wrecking yards I know and getting a big, fat zero for the last three weeks.

Or if you have a lead on a wrecking yard that might have vintage oldsmobiles in your area please pass it along and I will contact them.
Jerry
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:10 AM
STU

Hey guys. I just purchased a 47 olds 76. I know its longer than the 66. But what body pieces are interchangeable? Also the 74 cutlass frame its on is hacked up so iwas thinking of using a 68 -72 vista cruiser frame. Any thoughts?
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by STU
Hey guys. I just purchased a 47 olds 76. I know its longer than the 66. But what body pieces are interchangeable? Also the 74 cutlass frame its on is hacked up so iwas thinking of using a 68 -72 vista cruiser frame. Any thoughts?
The 70 series had a 125 inch wheelbase, quite a bit longer than the 60 series and 2 in. shorter than the 90 series which was 127 in. wheelbase. If you use a donor frame it should have a 125 in. wheelbase also or you will wind up cutting things up to make the wheels center in the wheel openings of the fenders.

Most body things appear to be not interchangable between 60s, 70s and 90s series.

There are just too many things for me to spend all the time required to check interchangeability. You need to get The Hollander Interchange Manual, 16th edition which covers cars up to and including 1948. You can Google it and get the address to purchase. I think they are around $50 now but well worth it for all the information.

Good luck. Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted on progress.
Jerry
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM

Renewing the request for someone who has steering gears (shaft, box and gears) for 42-48 Model 76. One of our members, Viktor Lind from Sweden really needs one for his 1942 Model 76. Any hot rodders who have gone to aftermarket steering or anyone with a spare please let me know and I will contact Viktor. I've been looking in all the old wrecking yards I know and getting a big, fat zero for the last three weeks.

Or if you have a lead on a wrecking yard that might have vintage oldsmobiles in your area please pass it along and I will contact them.
Jerry
I wonder? Could the '49 steering gear setup be the same, or similar enough to fit into a '42-48?
I have the complete steering gear assembly out of my '49 88 that I am not going to use.. I opted for rack pinion in my 88.... Bill
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Hang Onto that 49 Steering

I wonder? Could the '49 steering gear setup be the same, or similar enough to fit into a '42-48?
I have the complete steering gear assembly out of my '49 88 that I am not going to use.. I opted for rack pinion in my 88.... Bill
Bill, thanks for the offer. I don't know if it would work. My Hollander Interchange Manual is pretty specific on 42-48 years interchanging but on the other hand it stops at 1948.

Anyone with a newer Interchange manual? If so could you look it up please? I will try to do some further checking so don't let go of that steering yet Bill.
Jerry
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:31 PM

49 steering gearbox won't fit earlier Olds models

Bill, thanks for the offer. I don't know if it would work. My Hollander Interchange Manual is pretty specific on 42-48 years interchanging but on the other hand it stops at 1948.

Anyone with a newer Interchange manual? If so could you look it up please? I will try to do some further checking so don't let go of that steering yet Bill.
Jerry
It appears 49 will not interchange. I called two wrecking yards and both said they would not interchange. So I am back to looking for 42-48 steering gearbox for 76 series. Thanks for trying Bill.
Jerry
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:46 AM

No intentions to "hijack" the thread, it just seemed the most appropriate group to address. I have a left hand stainless trim piece for the rear fender on a '48 that came with a box of parts I had purchased for my '40. It is nice and would be show worthy if polished, all studs are intact, $30 plus the ride to the destination of your choice. I also have a set of fender skirts for a '48 that came with my '40 when purchased, good condition, $200 plus shipping. More photos available upon request. Just PM me if interested, Thank You.
Attached Images
image.jpg (61.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Funkwagon455; April 28th, 2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:35 AM

Funkwagon, Is that stone guard (trim piece) aftermarket or factory? Decent looking skirts. Not my thing but someone will likely pick them up for that price. You might try posting in the 'parts for sale' forum as well.
Jerry
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Funkwagon, Is that stone guard (trim piece) aftermarket or factory? Decent looking skirts. Not my thing but someone will likely pick them up for that price. You might try posting in the 'parts for sale' forum as well.
Jerry
I did not know that these parts had been reproduced, but based on the construction/weight and mostly the source of the part, I would assume it is original issue. I can send up close and reverse side pictures to folks who are interested.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM

Jerry,

how's your Olds coming along at the body shop?
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Jerry,

how's your Olds coming along at the body shop?
__________________________________________________ ___

The 47 Convertible is making some progress but not ready to come home yet. One front fender and hood to do some metal bumping and blocking. To date the other front fender is done, driver side quarter panel straightened and passenger quarter panel replaced with NOS I picked up a few years ago. Trunk is straightened and level now with quarter panels. Most importantly the gaps between panels are looking much better and are level to the adjacent panels including the doors. As you know, the match up of the fender extension on the door to the fender is really problematic. I think it is the biggest fitting issue on the 40s bodies along with the hood-to-fender gap which will never be as tight as I want it to be. I think it is just the design of the car. The rear fenders aren't in the budget this go around and will just have to be driven as is for a while.

The car will come back from the shop with epoxy primer rather than finish paint as there is still a lot to do under the hood with engine, trans and driveshaft install and I don't want new paint on the car while I'm doing that.

However the engine compartment will be finished gloss black on the firewall and upper under-hood area and chassis black on the lower engine compartment. When I paint the exterior I've decided on gloss black and metallic silver two tone. I gave up on the light yellow on the insistence of the painter who felt it made the darkness of the gaps between panels look even wider.

Still on the to-do list is door and glass hardware, new glass, new rubber seals, dash stuff installed and lights hooked up. Wiring is complete except hooking it to whatever it is going to power. I'm hoping to get enough done to take it to the upholsterer this winter. We'll see. Things always seem to go slower when you are building so much of it yourself. A couple of progress pics attached.

Drop a line and let us know how your's is coming along.
Jerry
Attached Images
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Getting the body panels on the older cars to properly fit together is a very trying process at it's best. All of the body panels, fenders, hood, doors, trunk, etc., are all original to my car (49 88 2dr club sdn).. The trunk lid went right on, with no difficulty, can't say the same for the rest of the panels..
The overall body had a great fit prior to the dis-assembly.. In-light of the extensive rust-out that we found in the floor pan, the body was cross and laterally braced prior to it's removal from the chassis.. For the most part it would appear that the body alignment did not change, however, getting the doors and front sheet metal to lineup has proved to be a chore.
Two things effected the front sheet metal;
We had to roughly assemble the front inner fender panels and fenders with the core support, in order to mount the radiator.. Then the battery was installed in the slightly modified original battery box.. We got the engine running, addressed the few issues that a newly installed engine has and then attempted to install the hood... Wrong!
After over two days of fiddling with the fenders and inner panels trying to align the hood to the cowl/fenders, fenders to the doors, to no avail, the two problems were found; The weight of the battery in an unsecured panel had caused the left side to sag.. Removing the battery allowed the panels to be easier to align. Secondly, The workman that had installed most of the front sheet metal had used fender washers in lieu of body shims when he installed the panels.. DA! I promptly ordered two boxes of assorted body shims...
Interestingly, one of the body men working on the car wanted my permission to elongate several of the holes in the panels and core support, so he could shift them around... I told him absolutely no!!! If the holes were elongated, then in time the alignment could shift, causing the hood to not fit...

A footnote on the steering gears for "Viktor".... I was in the process of preparing the gear set I had for shipment to him in Sweden.. He sent me an email informing me that he had decided to adapt a set gear box from a '70's Pontiac into his car....Bill

Last edited by blucar; May 15th, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:04 PM

Hi Bill, I wondered what became of Viktor and the steering gear saga.
Just as in your case it has been the front sheet metal that has been the most difficult. I attribute some of that, in my case, to the greater 'flexibility' of a convertible body but maybe I'm mistaken.
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:31 PM

'49 hood springs

HELP!!! One of my hood springs broke yesterday, I need a pair of '49 hood springs... I checked with Fusick, they don't have any.. Bill
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:18 PM

Bill, try these guys and ask for Doug:
http://www.rpmmotorsportsmn.com/servlet/StoreFront
They are in Minnesota. I've found them very responsive and they seem willing to look to other sources they know if it isn't at their place.
Jerry
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM

This is my 47 now when all the trim is back. Thanks Jerry for helping me out with the trim clips.

Old May 17th, 2013, 10:37 PM

Hi Per, the coupe is really looking good now. The fender skirts look great on that body. It almost makes me want to change my mind and put fender skirts on my 47 Convertible.

I wish to thank you again for the trunk handle you donated to my convertible project.

Please stay active on this thread and send some pics of your car on the road, at events etc.
Jerry
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Hi Per, the coupe is really looking good now. The fender skirts look great on that body. It almost makes me want to change my mind and put fender skirts on my 47 Convertible.

I wish to thank you again for the trunk handle you donated to my convertible project.

Please stay active on this thread and send some pics of your car on the road, at events etc.
Jerry
Jerry, I will stay on.

Per
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:46 AM

Hood springs

HELP!!! One of my hood springs broke yesterday, I need a pair of '49 hood springs... I checked with Fusick, they don't have any.. Bill
A big thank you to everyone that tried to help me locate new hood springs for my car...
A fellow Olds lover in Eastern Idaho came through with a pair of springs.. He also had a good right grille extension which I needed..
Per, Your '47 coupe looks great...
I had a "tail dragging" '42 Chevy coupe in 1951. I cloned it into a '46.. Used a '46 grille which is very similar to the Olds grilles. I nosed/decked it, removed the side chrome and handles in favor of electric remotes.. The car was painted black primer (suede) with tear drop skirts..
The engine was a modified Chevy truck engine, carbs, Mallory, twice pipes, etc..
The car had been in a roll over accident. I paid $60. for it.. Bought a '41 that had done a header into a tree for $45... Married the two bodies together to make one good car.. I was working part time in a body shop at the time.. Had one of the newest cars in high school..
The good ole days when $50. was a lot of money... Bill
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:23 PM

1947 76 series sedan

Just wanted to join in. New to this site. I have a 47' sedan that runs great, but restoring interior. Has the flat 6 that has 78,000 miles on it. All original. My work is cut out for me, but its so cool. Will post pick soon.
My name is Spencer in Owaaso,Ok.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Daddio47Olds
Just wanted to join in. New to this site. I have a 47' sedan that runs great, but restoring interior. Has the flat 6 that has 78,000 miles on it. All original. My work is cut out for me, but its so cool. Will post pick soon.
My name is Spencer in Owaaso,Ok.
Glad to have you with us Spencer. Two or 4 door sedan?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM

Citcapp it's four door sedan. But I like it.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:21 PM

Spencer, Welcome. I see Citcapp has given the official welcome to CO and I'd like to invite you to stay active on this thread (46,47,48 How many own them) There is a wealth of knowledge among those who subscribe to the thread about 41-48 Oldsmobiles and an occasional used part to be found.

I'm looking forward to seeing those photos.
Jerry
Woodland, WA
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks Jerry.
I put together an album on this site.
It should be under Daddio's 47' sedan.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM

Anyone want to buy my 47?

A huge project that I can't do, but maybe you can, or it's an excellent parts car.

About 99% of the hard trim is there, and about 5% of the soft trim. ok body panels. Side glass is there but it's delaminating. Windows work.

It's on a lengthened S-10 chassis with HUGE Mickey Thompson tires. No drivetrain.

If you know someone who wants it for $2300 OBO, message me through this site.

A pic of it is at post number 205 on page 6

Last edited by peganit; June 23rd, 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: addendum
Old June 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM

I cannot part out even one screw.

It's all or nothing.
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:03 AM

My 47 project

I just started restoration project on my 47 olds 4 door custom sedan. The body is off the frame and I'm interested in updating the front suspension and drive train. I'm open to any suggestions and recommendation on web sites I can get more information about what road to take.

Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?