Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1948-78
Jerry, Thanks you've been a real help.
Re. 48-78 Fan Control ****: Rats, I thought I had one but it turned out to be the "temp raise" ****.
There is a wrecking yard in Puyallup,WA that has been advertising for quite a while they have a 46 4 dr. Olds for parts. I suspect it has been very well picked over. I've never seen it nor do I have any connection with it. Pic looks kind of ratty but you can always call 253-841-0143
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Re. 48-78 Fan Control ****: Rats, I thought I had one but it turned out to be the "temp raise" ****.
There is a wrecking yard in Puyallup,WA that has been advertising for quite a while they have a 46 4 dr. Olds for parts. I suspect it has been very well picked over. I've never seen it nor do I have any connection with it. Pic looks kind of ratty but you can always call 253-841-0143
Jerry, Thanks for checking. I will try my friend in Idaho that i got some other parts from.
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:32 AM

I am in need of the hood spring bracket the attaches to the body on the drivers side. If anyone has one let me know please. Thanks
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM

hood spring bracket

Originally Posted by citcapp
I am in need of the hood spring bracket the attaches to the body on the drivers side. If anyone has one let me know please. Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:09 PM

I got one!

47 2 door sedanette. Street rod material.

IMG_0736.jpg
I purchased it last summer. LONGGGGGG term project. I won't even touch it until I get more fab tools.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:28 PM

Welome Peganit. Glad you found the 46-48 thread and of course, Classic Oldsmobile. We'll be curious to see the new tools and progress on the 47 once you get going. You can probably get some $ out of the stuff you will discard to help toward fab tools and build. People on this thread are very helpful. This thread sort of sputters a bit. Once and a while it is real active --like the last couple of weeks -- and then things slow down for several days until more news or requests for help show up. Stick with us. The more we have subscribed to this thread the better it will get.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM

Welcome to the thread

Great project car peganit, I have a 48 series 76 that is very similar to yours that is currently in the build process.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Welome Peganit. Glad you found the 46-48 thread and of course, Classic Oldsmobile. We'll be curious to see the new tools and progress on the 47 once you get going. You can probably get some $ out of the stuff you will discard to help toward fab tools and build. People on this thread are very helpful. This thread sort of sputters a bit. Once and a while it is real active --like the last couple of weeks -- and then things slow down for several days until more news or requests for help show up. Stick with us. The more we have subscribed to this thread the better it will get.
A good welder is high on my list. A MUST for this beauty. A premium, high end mig. I'm spoiled at work. Millers and Lincolns only!

Will post when I get one!

Last edited by peganit; January 24th, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:18 PM

My name is John, Lewiston, Idaho, and I have a '48 68 club sedan. Dawn Gray. Sold new in Caldwell, Idaho, to a widow who traded it in in March, 1949. My Dad was the parts manager, and bought the car then with 1800 miles on it. It became mine in 1965, my first car. Still have it. Always will. Retired December 31, 2012. Hope to spend more time driving and "refurbishing" it. It has the 257.1 cubic inch 8 and hydra-matic drive. Bought five new wide whitewalls two years ago from Coker at the Portland Swap Meet. First new tires in 33 years! B F Goodrich as came on the car. I understand why these 46-48s don't get the interest the 49 + Rockets do. But, they are cool in their own right. By the way, the widow who bought my car new traded it in for a red 49 88 convertible.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by gray knight
My name is John, Lewiston, Idaho, and I have a '48 68 club sedan. Dawn Gray. Sold new in Caldwell, Idaho, to a widow who traded it in in March, 1949... By the way, the widow who bought my car new traded it in for a red 49 88 convertible.
Hmm, I bet she didn't intend to stay a widow for long. Took some of the life insurance, bought a new red convertible and went looking.... ( just my supposition) In a little town like Caldwell a new red Olds convertible would really stand out.

Welcome to CO and to the 46-48 thread John. I hope you find a home here for your Oldsmobile interests. As I've mentioned to others, keep looking in on the thread and participate. The more we have subscribed to it the more active it will be and the more benefit we will all get. I try to put everyone who posts here on my 'contacts' list as well.

Send some pics of your '48 68
Regards,
Jerry
Old January 28th, 2013, 08:48 PM

A little step by step and she’s slowly coming together.

Old January 30th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Railroad Mike

Thumbs up cars

Originally Posted by Ornberg
A little step by step and she’s slowly coming together.

Looks like she is already together! Really NICE rides.

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:35 AM

Very nice.
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 55miketn
Looks like she is already together! Really NICE rides.
Thanks 55miketn.
I come a long way since I bought the coupe almost three years ago but it’s a great hobby.

This is how it looks at the time.

47olds138.jpg

Originally Posted by citcapp
Very nice.
Thanks!
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Railroad Mike

Thumbs up "jewel in the rough.."

Thanks 55miketn.
I come a long way since I bought the coupe almost three years ago but it’s a great hobby.

This is how it looks at the time.
That is where we all started. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Trunk handle and related stuff needed for 60 Series '47 Convertible

It turns out the trunk handle and lock assembly I thought would work for my 47 Convertible is the wrong one. I discovered this while organizing my boxes of trim and hardware prior to taking the convertible to the body shop today.

So I did what I should have done to begin with and checked my Hollander Interchange manual. The trunk lid number is the same for Convertibles and Coupes, Series 60 from 46-47 and it looks like 48 Series 60 Coupe would be also. I'm hoping if the lids interchange the handle assembly will also.

I'm needing the whole outside assembly (handle and lock plus the outside plate they attach to and the license plate holder). It appears to be all one assembly and has a slightly curved profile to fit the trunk lid curvature.

I'd appreciate any help in locating one including possible leads. Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:05 AM

Jerry
Is this the stuff you looking for? This is from my 47 coupe and I choose to shave the trunk for a cleaner look so this is left over and I don’t need them. If you can use them I’m happy to give them away as a gift as a reply for the help you give me. The chrome is very good and just some surface rust on the plate holder. Let me know if you think this could work on your 47 ragtop.
Per Ornberg

IMG_1007.jpg
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM

Trunk latch should work

Per, If that was mounted on your coupe then it should work just fine on my convertible according to the Hollander Interchange Manual.

I had no expectation you would be the source of this part. I was glad to be able to help you a few weeks ago and it is nice to see, as we say here, "What goes around comes around."

I will send you a PM and we can work out shipping. I do want to pay for the shipping as it will be more expensive than shipping those trim clips I sent a few weeks ago.
Jerry
ps. My 47 Convertible is now at the body shop. Good friends with a trailer came in the pouring rain and cold yesterday and helped me load and transport it. My shop feels empty with just my 36 Chevy in it now.
Jerry

Jerry
Is this the stuff you looking for? This is from my 47 coupe and I choose to shave the trunk for a cleaner look so this is left over and I don’t need them. If you can use them I’m happy to give them away as a gift as a reply for the help you give me. The chrome is very good and just some surface rust on the plate holder. Let me know if you think this could work on your 47 ragtop.
Per Ornberg

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:10 AM

Jerry, Here’s a photo whit the trunk handle still in place and another pics with the shaved trunk, -50 Pontiac taillights and Olds 98 bumper override.

47olds007.jpg

IMGP2673.jpg
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Hi Per, I hadn't looked at the thread for a few days so just found the two photos of the rear of your Olds Coupe this (Monday) morning. Again, thanks for sending the original trunk handle and latch. I will let you know when I receive it.
Jerry
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM

Assembled 455 ready to test fit in 48 Olds

Just and update. After the test fit then its off to the media blaster so I can finish body work. Long slow process

http://s372.beta.photobucket.com/use...o%20test%20fit

And here is where I started so long ago

http://s372.beta.photobucket.com/use...rary/48%20Olds
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:35 AM

Good to have your update. The engine and transmission is looking really sharp. The test fit will be a much better experience with clean metal too. Ditto your comment regarding a long slow process in building a rod. Fiscal realities slow me down as much as time constraints. Now progress is sort of out of my hands with the convertible being at the body shop where it hasn't been touched in the first ten days it's been there.

I saw the bike in your garage on some of the pics and didn't realize you were into motorcycles as well. I rode from age 15 to about age 60 when I found my depth perception and reaction time were getting way too slow due to some eye issues. I enjoyed every year I did ride and had some great adventures on the road.

I like the progress pics. Keep em coming.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:29 PM

The bike is one I just could not let go Its a 1300 six cylinder Kawasaki Vintage 1985. Sold my road bike to my middle son 8 years ago seldom ride anymore. Started at age 15 as well and yes the reaction time is what got me. Too many close call plus lost 3 friends to the road in less then 2 years.

I plug away on the 48 it'll be drivable this summer I hope. I am going to paint it myself with help from friends. We'll see how it goes
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Is This a 46-48 Rear Bumper filler?

Found this in my pile of stuff at the shop. It looks to be a rear bumper filler or gravel pan, most likely for a 40s Olds or maybe Chevy. It doesn't look like the one that is on the rear of my 47 convertible but it might be for a different year or different Series. Since some Chevy stuff interchanges with the small Oldsmobiles it could be that too. A large stash of parts came with the car and this was most likely among them.

I'm trying to clear stuff out but don't want to toss what might be a scarce part someone could use. It is actually in pretty good shape with no rust through. See thumbnails. Any help identifying it would be appreciated and it will be up for disposal when I know what it is. Thanks.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1001.jpg (41.7 KB, 17 views)
DSCF1002.jpg (110.9 KB, 11 views)
DSCF1004.jpg (43.4 KB, 13 views)
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Need a little help guys.

I am installing a TKO 5 speed in my 48 series 76 2 door slope back sedan. I do not have my seat hardware of seat install (using the original bench) and need to locate the shift handle to clear. can some one give me a measurement from the base of the inside of the firewall to the front edge of the seat with the seat in the forward most position

Anything from 46-48 will be the same

Thanks in advance

Pat
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Found this in my pile of stuff at the shop. It looks to be a rear bumper filler or gravel pan, most likely for a 40s Olds or maybe Chevy. It doesn't look like the one that is on the rear of my 47 convertible but it might be for a different year or different Series. Since some Chevy stuff interchanges with the small Oldsmobiles it could be that too. A large stash of parts came with the car and this was most likely among them.

I'm trying to clear stuff out but don't want to toss what might be a scarce part someone could use. It is actually in pretty good shape with no rust through. See thumbnails. Any help identifying it would be appreciated and it will be up for disposal when I know what it is. Thanks.
Jerry

I don't see that piece in my 46-48 Oldsmobile Body service manual

Might look thru this site. Has lots of information of Oldsmobiles as well. Has the body manuals that you can download

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:04 PM

46, 47 Hood Ornaments

I've seen a couple of what looked like a new plastic "wing" that slides onto the hood ornament on 47s? They were on ebay but it was way early in the build of my 47 and I wasn't ready for it then.

Does anyone on this thread know if someone is reproducing them? The ones I've seen were clear. I really need a nice plastic piece as the one on my ornament is broken.

Also, is the 46 hood ornament the same as the 47

Any information appreciated. Thanks.
Jerry
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:54 AM

Hi all. I'm Don and am new to the forum. My pops and I have a 47 olds that we are trying to find a rearend or just a third member for. Having trouble finding what year ranges Olds or Pontiac third members will interchange. If there is anyone out there that knows alittle something I would really appreciate the response. we are looking into a 53 olds but not sure about it. Thanks in advance.Edit*Reply
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:17 AM

Hi Don and welcome. My Hollander Interchange Manual says 39-48 Oldsmobiles, both 6 and 8 cylinder all interchange. So does Pontiac 39-48 both 6 and 8 cylinder.

You will find lots of help on this thread as well as the rest of the site. Post some photos of your 47 and let us know where you live.
Jerry
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM

My knowledge about what year of a third member will interchange into your '47
differential is limited, however, I can share my experience with you..
I needed a third member for my '49 Olds 88, I found one on eBay for $50. The shipping from the mid-west almost exceeded the purchase price.. The unit was in excellent condition, 3.42 gearing, perfect for my OD trans.. I had new bearings/seals installed at a cost of under $200.
I do know that the pre '50 GM cars have a fairly narrow tread width, therefore, trying to use a later model rear end can be a problem.. I have found that the rear ends from a '63-65 Buick Rivera work well in pre '50 GM cars, especially the large Buick Special/Super .. The Riv's have coil spring suspension similar to the early Olds..
From my experience the pre 50 GM cars have a axle width of 54-1/4" backing plate to backing plate, OD, drum to drum is around 61"..
Another good choice for a rear end is an early Camaro, 10 bolt, '68 to 74, or there abouts.. The later model Camaro's are way to wide.. An early Nova 10 bolt rear end from a V8 car also works well in early cars.. The Nova rear end is 1.5" narrower that the Camaro's... Other than an actual '46-48 Olds rear end, you will have to alter the spring mounts to fit your car on any later model, etc. rear end..
I'm quite sure that there will be many other people chime in on this topic.. Be very careful, do your home work before you spend your money.. Bill

Last edited by blucar; February 25th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:26 AM

A good run down on rear end swap possibilities Bill.
You might want to add the 64 to 67 GTO/Tempest rear end to the possibilities list. It is 60 inches and a coil spring/trailing arm type suspension. It's whats under my 47 Olds.

If Don is not modifying his 47 I think the easiest thing would be to find one of the 39-48 Olds or Pontiac rear ends, have any necessary work done to it and just do an R&R. Also replace the bushings on the trailing arms and sway bar links. As you pointed out, this path has the least downtime and you know it's going to fit with no unintended consequences.
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:39 AM

today must have been my lucky day!

Just now I looked on ebay just for kicks and though I did not get as good a deal as Blucar, I found JUST ONE used third member for 100.00. Been looking on there from time to time for 2 years now. Snatched it right up. By the looks of it it has been on a shelf since the fifties but seller says it works and there is a money back garentee so I will let you know how it goes, and I will get those pics. Thanks for all your replies for they have been helpfill. Time to call the local gear shop and see about getting it freshened up.
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:55 AM

Good move Don. I hope it works out perfect for you. Keep us posted on this thread.
Jerry
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:55 AM

I almost fell into the trap of listening to people that thought they know everything, and then throw away the old, replacing it with newer parts, only to back them selves into a corner..
I had picked up an early Camaro rear end for my '49 Olds.. Sounded like a good idea, it was newer and had much larger brakes. Talking to Brett at Fat Man changed my mind, I found out I had a rear end that was very highly thought of by the "speed merchants" of the '60's, more HD than the venerated Ford 9" and the GM 12 bolt..
Since I was not in a big hurry to get the rear end fixed, I just sat back and kept looking until I found a third member that had a good gear ratio..
I was able to obtain new bearings and seals from a company on the east coast, Fusick had all of the mounting bushings for the axle, panhard bar, shock links and roll stabilizer.. Bill
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by dmcadams1973
Just now I looked on ebay just for kicks and though I did not get as good a deal as Blucar, I found JUST ONE used third member for 100.00. Been looking on there from time to time for 2 years now. Snatched it right up. By the looks of it it has been on a shelf since the fifties but seller says it works and there is a money back garentee so I will let you know how it goes, and I will get those pics. Thanks for all your replies for they have been helpfill. Time to call the local gear shop and see about getting it freshened up.
If you are told that the bearings etc., are unavailable let us know, I have a source for the bearings and seals..
You can get the brakes, a complete set from Kanter.. Check the drums you have, you might be able to upgrade them to the 98 2-1/4" shoes..
That's what I did to my rear brakes... There again it was Brett at FatMan that clued me in about that option.. I ordered the whole kit, drums etc., from Kanter.. Telling them I wanted brakes for a 98 Olds.... Bill
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:18 PM

I know someone that has a 47 96 series with the hydramatic and also knows where a 48 model 66 is with a straight 8. They are in the midwest. This person may be looking to sell one or both.
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by drop top olds
I know someone that has a 47 96 series with the hydramatic and also knows where a 48 model 66 is with a straight 8. They are in the midwest. This person may be looking to sell one or both.
PArts cars or what?
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:48 AM

at peganit----

The cars are complete. Can't speak for the owner, but he may want to sell the whole car. It is possible he may part them. I can provide contact information if you send a pm. Probably can get pictures too.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:20 PM

Progress on 47 Convertible Build

Progress has been slow on this build as I was finishing my 36 Chevy when I picked up the 47 Convertible. Chevy now done and progress has been moving faster the last couple of years. Couldn't resist and put in photo of 36. I know its not an Olds but it's a GM cousin.

Now the Olds is at a body shop in Woodland, WA getting some major metal patching, straightening, panel alignment. Biggest two items were the quarter panel replacement just behind the pass. door which is in but not smoothed out and the drivers front fender which you can see from the photo looks pretty grim. Somebody walked on it or their heavy girlfriend or buddy sat their hind end on it. It is however rust free. It will be a challenge. Trunk which fit poorly now fits better. I was surprised to find wood pieces in the convertible top. They are shot but I can make new ones. When the 47 gets out in a month or two it won't need body work but it will need sanding, blocking, more sanding etc. It will just be primed and then come home for engine, trans and drive line fit, glass, seats and enough stuff that I can run it for a year or so while I save up my pennies for painting. Wiring is 98% done and dash panels and gauges have been rebuilt. So a lot of it is assembly rather than repairs.
Jerry
Attached Images
36 August 31 2011 21a.jpg (118.3 KB, 22 views)
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Jerry - Nice work on that '47. That Chevy you did is beautiful as well. Love to see these fat fenders coming alive.

Keep it up

Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?