1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them? - Page 25 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Vehicle Lineup > Vintage Oldsmobiles
1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them? >

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Old October 12th, 2018, 02:58 PM

'48 98 Futuramic Convertible

I'm currently restoring a one owner car. Just got the body back from paint and an starting the reassembly process. The car is black and I will install a burgundy leather interior and black top.

Regards,
Mark Desing

Old October 12th, 2018, 03:26 PM

Talking Photos. Post lots of photos of your build

Originally Posted by Mark Desing View Post
I'm currently restoring a one owner car. Just got the body back from paint and an starting the reassembly process. The car is black and I will install a burgundy leather interior and black top.

Regards,
Mark Desing
Mark, Post Photos. Everyone loves to see photos.
Jerry
Old October 12th, 2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sporty45 View Post
Can anyone tell me what they are using for a hood to cowl seal for the 46-48 Olds? I can't find anything online that resembles what I removed from my 47. Any pics?

I appreciate any help.
Chevys of the 40's offers a hood to cowl seal. Could that be the same ?
Old October 13th, 2018, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by okie88 View Post
Chevys of the 40's offers a hood to cowl seal. Could that be the same ?
Unfortunately the Chevy one is different, as it would appear, all the GM marks used a different seal.Not sure why, but that's the way it is.
Old October 13th, 2018, 07:23 AM

Hood to Cowl Seal 46-48

Unfortunately the Chevy one is different, as it would appear, all the GM marks used a different seal.Not sure why, but that's the way it is.
Here is a possible work around: My hood tilts forward and at first I tried a reproduction factory seal. (Don't remember where I got it. That was about 5 years ago) The little "nipples" on the bottom side of the reproduction seal were supposed to fit into the holes in the cowl. They were off by as much as 3/8 in. in some locations. This was a one piece seal. It might have been right for some car of some make but not the 47 Oldsmobile.

I gave up on that seal and turned the job over to the body and paint shop. They came up with a fix which was a piece of 3/4 x 3/16 seal material. Holes in cowl for factory seal were plugged and strip was glued down onto cowl with 3M Super Adhesive. The seal is soft enough to follow the contour of the cowl and hasn't pulled loose in a couple of years of use. It does peek out beyond the edge of the hood just a little but the line is nice and even and is hardly noticeable.

Note: This may not be a fix for your car if you have a normally opening hood. But if your hood sits up from the cowl a bit you could try a thicker piece of seal. This is just a generic and fairly inexpensive seal you can buy by the foot. I believe Steele Rubber carries it.
Jerry

Old October 13th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks Jerry. You wouldn't happen to have a pic with it on your car, would you? I'm probably stressing over this way too much, but that's me!
Old October 13th, 2018, 08:42 AM

No Worries

Thanks Jerry. You wouldn't happen to have a pic with it on your car, would you? I'm probably stressing over this way too much, but that's me!
Dennis, I found one. If you need closer photo I can try that later today. I do remember when the seal was applied that it was started in the middle and cut so that it would follow the angle of the cowl but still look like a single piece.

Attached Images
Old October 13th, 2018, 09:48 AM

Jerry, that does look good. Nice and neat! That 455 looks right at home too . I noticed you filled the cowl vent, mind if I ask why? I kind of like keeping mine and am curious why you didn't.

Edit: oops, after looking closer it seems you did keep it!
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:25 PM

Dennis, thanks for compliments.
Jerry
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:59 PM

Well earned compliments!
Old November 4th, 2018, 07:29 AM

I just purchased an 1946 98 Club Coupe. She has been modified with Mustang ll front end, Nova rear end, disc brakes, power steering and airbags. But she has retained her straight 8 and manual transmission. Most of the hard work has been done with the interior needing to be completed and finish the bodywork. This photo is before the previous owner did bumper deletes and made the hood hinge on the front. I would have prefered this look, but it is what it is.

I have a few other vintage vehicles and I prefer as close to original as possible. But the price was right and she still had the original flathead and manual. I thought I would see how it is driving a vintage car without the 80 year old technology.

I would ask the forums opinion on manual for interior and body work. I found this and it looked promising, opinions on this one or any other recommendations is appreciated

https://www.faxonautoliterature.com/...t--P23913.aspx

Regards, Nick
Old November 6th, 2018, 10:58 AM

Hi Nick and welcome to the Vintage Forum of Classic Oldsmobile. This thread, 46-48s has a lot of information if you have a little persistence and can dig through the various threads. In addition to the manual you noted, there is also a 1948 Master Chassis Parts Book from Faxon which I have and have found useful. The best reference I have is the Hollander Parts Interchange, Edition 16 which covers our Oldsmobiles. 16th Edition is out of print but can be found on eBay from time to time. Hollander now has out a single old car interchange manual covering a lot more years. Maybe its OK, I haven't looked and doubt it could be as complete. One of the things I like about Hollander is the tips that were sent in by the mechanics of that era indicating how a part can be adapted to your vehicle even though it isn't listed as an "interchange."

I think it is cool that you are sticking with the Straight 8 Olds engine (and presumably the original Hydramatic transmission). The latter was a true four speed but lacked the Park position. As I recall "reverse" did the same thing and acted as a parking gear...sort of. The best thing about them was the double oil pump which allowed a push start if needed. Later hydramatics did not as they went to a single pump.

Post some current pics and stay active here at CO and in the 46-48 thread of the Vintage Forum. Glad to have you along for the ride.
Jerry.
Old November 8th, 2018, 05:38 AM

Here are some more recent pictures of the '46 98.

Original straight 8 and 3 speed trans

Old November 8th, 2018, 10:23 AM

Previous owner did do a lot of work/modification. Had I not found my convertible as a project I would have been looking for that fastback style in a 2 dr. Its a great look. I did not read closely enough on your earlier post to see that the 98 has a 3 speed (standard?) transmission. I just presumed it was hydramatic... Oops. I think I read somewhere that about 90 percent of the Oldsmobiles sold in 46-48 were hydramatic so yours is something of a rarity if its original to the car.
My 47 has Mustang II style front suspension and 67 GTO rear with coils all around and maybe 3 in. lower stance. I've only put 1,500 miles on it but am well satisfied with the ride and handling so far. Several told me the MII type front suspension would not hold up the Olds but mine has a very stout front cross member and high quality after market tubular A-arms both upper and lower as well as new coil springs 1.5 in. shorter and 2 in. drop spindles. Rear coils are new springs built with 3 in. drop. I don't see any reason why your suspension set up shouldn't work as well or maybe better since air bags should be more adjustable to "tune" the ride.

Keep on sending photos as you progress. We all like them.
Jerry
Old November 8th, 2018, 04:19 PM

I really like the modifications that have been done. If someone was to describe an air dam on this era Oldsmobile I'd think no way, but the builder really pulled it off. There is a lot of fabrication there. I wonder with the hand made intake and exhaust what else has been done to the engine. It's going to be very cool when done. Keep us posted with the progress.
Old November 10th, 2018, 07:09 AM

Yes there was a lot of fabrication on this car. The previous owner bought it in 2007 mainly to help keep employees busy during 07-08 business slowdown (90% of the car was done back then) as they are fabrication company, mainly pipe bending machines for the auto industry.

The modifications to the engine are the split intake with 34mm Webers which I am sure would not been far off the the original 2 barrel. Ignition is Pertronix and that is it. I did ask him why he did not split the exhuast and he said it was only 110HP, I don't plan to change that as the system is ceramic coated.

The 3 speed is original to the car.