Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2017, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lartz48
I have a 48 olds series66 I am looking for other owners!!
Welcome aboard. I have a 47 model 66 coupe. It's in about a million pieces right now, though!
Old April 1st, 2017, 03:11 PM

Anyone need stock steering wheel, column, gear selector and indicator?

Working on upgrading the steering column in the 46' 66 series so just checking to see if anyone is in need of stock steering column or it's components before they head to the metal pile.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 12:24 PM

There is an immutable law of old parts that says no one will want them until you toss them. Then two days later they will be desperate to get the parts.

Put it on the classifieds here and bump it up to renew every 90 days or so so it comes to someone's attention who needs it. About 18-24 months ago there were several posts for NOS or rebuildable steering boxes for 40s Oldsmobiles. They were not to be had. Don't know if you are keeping your steering box or not. Good luck with sale.
Jerry
ps. I am so tempted to drive down to Bonneville and watch you run the 46 this Summer. I went in 2011 as it was on my bucket list but didn't know anyone running a car there.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
ps. I am so tempted to drive down to Bonneville and watch you run the 46 this Summer. I went in 2011 as it was on my bucket list but didn't know anyone running a car there.
Way too far for me to go, but I certainly hope you take some vids for us, Jenni!
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:10 AM

Update on 47 Convertible

This is as close as I can get at this date to a whole car. Only the hood and some trim behind doors is left to do. Holes need to be drilled for that trim so back to the paint shop it goes so they can dab green paint in the drilled holes and mount the hood. In the meantime here is the best I can do in showing the whole car:

http://s613.photobucket.com/user/jbi...tml?sort=3&o=0

Hopefully a sunny day or two coming up so I can get a few miles on it before it goes to paint shop. Front end not professionally aligned. I just set 'toe' with string and tape measure. I may not get far on my shake down drives.

With weather turning warmer and in the belief it can't rain forever, I'm looking forward to having a driver and a ton of fun with this car.
Jerry
Old April 10th, 2017, 01:56 PM

Wow Jerry, your car is looking awesome! Take some video when you do your shake down rides, I'd love to see that.
Old April 10th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Phantom Phixer

A real pretty car , Jerry .
Are you going to have it at the OCA nats. in Albuquerque in July ?
Charlie
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the compliment Charlie. I do not plan on being at OCA nats. in QQ this July.
Old April 16th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Help Please: What covered the sill area on 46-48 Olds?

Getting down to the small stuff as I near the end of this build. I'm trying to find out what Oldsmobile used to cover the sill area between the metal piece that covers the edge of the carpet and the outside edge of the sill.

My car was mostly apart with lots of pieces in trunk and inside body when I purchased 6 or so years ago. There was nothing on the sills except some rust and holes and evidence of some screw holes.
When looking through the few parts remaining I found a couple of thin and pitted metal plates that appear they would cover the sill area. They have small raised ribs in the center and some screw holes as well as some small rust holes. They are the right size and the right curvature to fit the sill area.

I find it difficult to believe Olds put these plates over the sills without some kind of protection --maybe dipped in rubber solution?
Just painting them would quickly wear off as shoe bottoms and grit would ruin a painted finish in no time.

Anyone with originals could be a great help by letting me know how Olds covered this area. My Chassis book and my Interior book don't give a clue.

Caution, As I've gone through the parts I've found Chevrolet 'A' body parts mixed in so its possible the plates in the photo are Chevy. Body size was about the same as Olds in many areas. I notice the screw holes in the plates I have don't line up exactly with what's in the sill.

Thumbnails below of the area I'm talking about and another of what I assume is the cover for that area.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
47 left sill plate entire.jpg (390.1 KB, 41 views)
47 Olds sill plates or not.jpg (387.2 KB, 40 views)
47 sill plate cu.jpg (439.8 KB, 42 views)
Old April 16th, 2017, 12:59 PM

Additional Informantion: I checked my Chevs of the 40s catalog and find out this area was called "Sill Plate Outer." and COT40s has them. Sorta makes me think what I have in the thumbnails are the outer sill plates minus the rubber covering which wore off or was sandblasted off at some point.
Still would like to have information on Oldsmobile outer sill plate covers.
Jerry
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:47 PM

Saved by Chevy. A tip for 66 and 68 owners

[QUOTE=47 Convertible;1007934]Additional Information: I checked my Chevs of the 40s catalog and find out this area was called "Sill Plate Outer." and COT40s has them.
__________________________________________________ _____

I wish more problems with finding parts for our 40s Oldsmobiles ended this well and quickly. As noted in my two posts above, I was looking for information on how Oldsmobile covered the outer sill area. Didn't find anything on that. But I knew from my Olds Chassis Parts book that GM had an 'A' body that the 66 and 68 models shared with Chevrolet and Pontiac. Since Chevs of the 40s is located about 15 miles south of me, I went down there with my trashed out outer sill pieces and compared all the dimensions which were practically identical.

COT40s Outer Sill Plates are made in the USA and look to be quality parts. I purchased a set, hurried home and placed them on my outer sills just to be doubly sure. yup, they're a fit. Fastening isn't the same as Chevy had tabs on the outer edges of theirs and Olds has no provision for the tabs. At least my much worked over sills didn't. Not a big problem.

This is the third time Chevy A body parts have come to my rescue when no supplier had 46-48 Olds reproduction parts but Chevy aftermarket suppliers did. A passenger side door from a Pontiac convertible fit; convertible top fastners from a Chevy fit and now the outer sill plates. Thumbnails below of the Chevy/Olds Outer Sill Plates.
Jerry
Attached Images
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:48 AM

Hi guys I just purchased a 1947 convertible last year and I need some help with finding a finding a fender skirt medallion since my fender skirts flew off yesterday. Any leads would really be appreciated. Thanks
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Welcome and parts search

Originally Posted by 47Times
Hi guys I just purchased a 1947 convertible last year and I need some help with finding a finding a fender skirt medallion since my fender skirts flew off yesterday. Any leads would really be appreciated. Thanks
__________________________________________________ _

Welcome to CO, the Vintage Olds forum and particularly the 46-48 Thread. I hope you hang around and become a regular contributor and post photos of your 47 Convertible. We all really like photos.

It sounds like you got a 'runner' instead of a 'project'. Pre 55 or so convertibles are rare and 40s even more so.

You have to haunt the Internet, Ebay; the program that brings up all of the individual Craigs List and amalgamates them so you can do a nationwide search of all Craigs List sites; wrecking yards that specialize in vintage cars. Maybe consider joining the National Oldsmobile Club (can't remember the exact name) and post a wanted on the classifieds here. Also a company or two that have some Olds reproduction parts. Fusick and Kantor come to mind and you can find them on an Internet search.

If you run across a character who poses as "millions and billions" I'd strongly recommend not doing business under any circumstances. There have been numerous postings here on CO condemning his business practices. You might be able to do a posting search on "millions and billions" to get a flavor of the complaints.

Finally take the time to look through the postings/replies here on the 46-48 threads and you will be able to identify a handful of others who own 46-48 convertibles. I think there are at least four or five of us. They might be able to give you leads.

There was a thread just a few months back about fender skirts for our cars which might have included information about emblems. I don't remember since I don't have skirts for my convertible. You can search the thread or the whole site for those.

Good Luck and be patient. It has taken me years to gather all the parts I needed. Definitely not like owning a Ford or Chevy.

Jerry
Old May 13th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Exterior finally complete with hood and stainless trim at door tops

Finally after six years I feel like I have a complete car with the 1947 Model 68 convertible. I got a call from the Body Shop on Tues. and I had to drive it home in the rain (only 6 miles). I have some electric gremlins to sort out and maybe an ignition timing issue. Will be working on those in the coming week.
I couldn't resist and changed my Avatar to show the completed body.
Here is a bigger version of the same photo.

Jerry

Old May 13th, 2017, 02:43 PM

Congratulations! That is a classy looking ride!
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Damn, that is a sweet looking ride, Jerry. I'm ashamed to say that mine has been apart since 1997 20 freakin years!
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Phantom Phixer

Congrats , Jerry . Nice ride !

So what's your next project ?

Last edited by Charlie Jones; May 13th, 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:04 PM

Jerry, Your car is stunning! I'm looking forward to having mine on the road. I'll be moving and will need to build a new shop, so yet more delays...
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:14 AM

It's just a piece of art, I could stare at it for hours.... Tedd
Old May 14th, 2017, 08:09 AM

Thanks to all who replied. To answer Charlie's question, There likely won't be another project car unless I help someone else built theirs. I'm 76 now and would be into my 80s before I finished another project and its getting harder and harder to get up off the shop floor, mount tire/wheel on hubs etc. The Old Car Fund has about been drained and I'd have to sell this one to build another. I believe I will continue to refine, iron out the glitches that are in every major project like this and enjoy driving it like Tedd does with his.

I can't stand to not have my hands on something mechanical and in the last couple of years have been learning machining work at night classes. I have my own old Logan lathe in my shop that I got "well used" and rebuilt it, and would like to add a decent milling machine and maybe a surface grinder. I could be very happy in my own decently equipped little machine shop

So, again, thanks for the "well done" from each and all. They are more appreciated coming from this group because you guys and gals are into your own projects and understand the difficulties, the skill sets involved and the expense of doing a project.
Jerry
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eddiejr
Here is my 1947 Olds Dynamic 76
that's a killer ride my brother!
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Finally after six years I feel like I have a complete car with the 1947 Model 68 convertible. I got a call from the Body Shop on Tues. and I had to drive it home in the rain (only 6 miles). I have some electric gremlins to sort out and maybe an ignition timing issue. Will be working on those in the coming week.
I couldn't resist and changed my Avatar to show the completed body.
Here is a bigger version of the same photo.

Jerry

she's a real beauty! By chance you wouldn't happen to have or know someone with a a rear passenger quarter side window frame? My frame snapped while trying to polish. I'm so bummed. Thanks
Old June 9th, 2017, 08:47 PM

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0082.JPGAnd now for the other side of the tracks. Kinda in limbo 'til I find someone to harness all lighting, gauges and components.
Old June 9th, 2017, 10:26 PM

she's a real beauty! By chance you wouldn't happen to have or know someone with a a rear passenger quarter side window frame? My frame snapped while trying to polish. I'm so bummed. Thanks
__________________________________________________ _______

You're talking about your 47 Convertible quarter window on passenger side?

I looked for probably four years and didn't turn up anything. On mine the vertical piece that butts up against the door window was rusted beyond help.

As you likely know the quarter window frame is made of three pieces plus the roller piece the window pivots on. The bottom and the front are straight and the top piece is the curved. They are screwed together so they can be taken apart to replace broken glass.

A friend who owns a custom sheet metal shop did some very clever bending using two pieces of stainless sheet metal that we glued together with some of the new super adhesive body shops use and I was able to build the vertical piece of the quarter window. If that is the part that snapped I can maybe help you.

I think the bottom straight piece could be recreated using the same method though it would be more complex.

Hopefully its one of those straight pieces that snapped and not the curved piece. And hopefully you have those threaded parts that that are used to align and screw the frame pieces together and the round piece that acts as a pivot.

If you send me more information and photos I will be able to let you know if I can be of any help. Send it via a PM (personal mail). You can do that by left clicking on my site name up at the top left of this replyh and finding the link to send a pm.

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Been kinda busy with finishing up details.
Jerry
Old June 10th, 2017, 07:04 AM

Don't know if this will work but there is a 40's skirt on our parts wanted forum..... Tedd

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...side-only.html
Old June 11th, 2017, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Don't know if this will work but there is a 40's skirt on our parts wanted forum..... Tedd

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...side-only.html
If you need the skirt there are some on Ebay at the moment although they're not cheap
Old August 7th, 2018, 02:10 PM

Wow, as Jerry mentioned in my build thread, this thread has been dormant a long time! I promised to put some info here, and I will show some of the stuff I needed to do on my floor repairs. Some stuff I had to make, and some I could buy.

The first 2 show the piece that extends beyond the rocker pane under the rear quarters and incorporates a drain from the back windows. I was not expecting to have to repair that area, but as soon as I got in there it was obvious I had to. Only on the passenger side, fortunately! I fabbed it up as I could and I'm happy with the way it worked out. And yes, I did put a drain back in the new piece, just didn't get a pic of it! The next 2 pics show the area at the bottom of the cowl that ties into the front of the rockers. Once again, I was not expecting to have to fix that area either! This time both sides had to be done. I don't have pics of the drivers side piece I had to make, but pretty much the same as the passenger side. The last 2 are just pics of the rockers after I cut them out. Thankfully I could buy these panels!
Attached Images
IMG_20180602_103014619.jpg (4.16 MB, 16 views)
IMG_20180602_103032909.jpg (4.72 MB, 13 views)
IMG_20180730_114501969.jpg (4.14 MB, 15 views)
IMG_20180731_100247270.jpg (3.99 MB, 14 views)
IMG_20180607_115521658_HDR.jpg (1.76 MB, 13 views)
IMG_20180607_115549978_HDR.jpg (1.98 MB, 13 views)
Old August 7th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Phantom Phixer

Very nice work ! Your fabrication skills are outstanding .
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Very nice work ! Your fabrication skills are outstanding .
Thank you. I wouldn't say outstanding, but I'm getting better with every piece! Plus, I'm not showing the parts I made that, um, didn't quite turn out so good
Old August 10th, 2018, 09:37 PM

That`s some good work. I have 1946 oldsmobile 66 series that needs some floor work.
Attached Images
20160530_165618.jpg (4.44 MB, 9 views)
Old August 11th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Thanks, and that is a very nice looking car!
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:48 PM

Well, it looks like I might have to fabricate floor brace ends. Mine are rotted out. I bought the ones for a Chevy from Chevs of the 40's hoping they would work, but of course they are different. I've been trying to figure out if I can alter them to work, so we'll see how that goes. In the meantime, can anybody take some pics of what the stock ones are supposed to look like? My car is in my signature.

Thanks in advance
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:32 AM

Talking

I have a 1948 98 with a bunch of factory options
Old October 5th, 2018, 12:16 PM

48 98 with Options

Originally Posted by FuturamicOldsmobile
I have a 1948 98 with a bunch of factory options
Glad to see another post to the 46-48 Thread. We need to keep this thread more active. A little bragging is OK. Lets see some nice photos of your 98. Inside, Outside, trunk, engine etc. and feature those factory options.
Old October 5th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Oh no, not again...

Interesting thread, nice to see those old things still alive or coming to life. Jerry, that convertible is absolutely stunning.
Now I have a 53 Olds, but I also used to own an original condition 1946 Buick Super sedan. If there's any interest to see a few pictures of it, let me know, I'll happily post them here.
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:20 PM

Everybody Likes Pictures of Oldsmobiles

Originally Posted by Nailheadcanuck
Interesting thread, nice to see those old things still alive or coming to life. Jerry, that convertible is absolutely stunning.
Now I have a 53 Olds, but I also used to own an original condition 1946 Buick Super sedan. If there's any interest to see a few pictures of it, let me know, I'll happily post them here.
Post in 46-48 thread if you like. I think a post in a new thread with your photos in Vintage Oldsmobile Forum would get more views and comments. Post yours and ask to see photos of other 1953s. or maybe early 50s Oldsmobiles. I will watch for your post and enjoy your photos.
Thanks for the compliment on my 1947 Convertible. Helps make the hours and dollars more worth it when others enjoy the end product.
Jerry

Old October 7th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Oh no, not again...

The Olds I've already posted to it's own thread. It's available to see further down, and right now it's not much to look at. Here's a shot of a 46 Buick Super sedan in Original (never been pulled apart and original paint)
I owned the car from 1999 to 2014.
Attached Images
46buick706.jpg.JPG (734.8 KB, 4 views)
46buick706a.jpg.JPG (721.1 KB, 9 views)
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:31 PM

That's one great looking car Marc. The only problem I see with it is that I didn't get to purchase it. Maybe heresy on an Olds site but I think the styling is superior to the Olds of the same years. Was it Dynaflow or Standard transmission?
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:40 AM

Can anyone tell me what they are using for a hood to cowl seal for the 46-48 Olds? I can't find anything online that resembles what I removed from my 47. Any pics?

I appreciate any help.
Old October 8th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Oh no, not again...

That's one great looking car Marc. The only problem I see with it is that I didn't get to purchase it. Maybe heresy on an Olds site but I think the styling is superior to the Olds of the same years. Was it Dynaflow or Standard transmission?
It was a standard, the Dynaflow automatic wasn't available until 1948. See? Olds had one over on Buick, they offered Hydramatic drive back in 1941, 7 years before Buick did.

Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?