Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Guys
I have been looking into a hotrod build on a prewar four door sedan and was thinking of putting a Jaguar rear end under it, the whole unit, rear end, axles, suspension, disk brakes, wheels the whole nine yards, this seems as though it would eliminate a lot of fabrication and space issues and give you independent rear suspension to boot, has anyone thought this through or done this and if so what are the issues related to this conversion?... Tedd
Good to hear from you Tedd. All rear end swaps have their issues in common The biggest one in my mind is width. Another biggie is frame geometry and can you reasonably fabricate crossmembers, hangers etc. in the room you have. To figure that out you need your frame and ideally the type of rear end you intend to use and measure every possible angle, width etc. and then plan your install carefully before. Someone with experience is a big help if you can discuss your ideas and approach to the project with them.

I have installed Corvette C4 IRS and IFS in my 1936 Chevrolet Sedan. It was a major sub-project and I'm still working out some of the issues but it is a driver. I'm thinking Jaguar might be easier but that is a relative term. I tried to attach a wheel spacing chart which, if used right, will give you the information you need concerning fitting the Jaguar IRS into your Olds.

There is a guy in Salem, Oregon who does these installs and sells Jaguar suspension stuff. I lifted this and the pics in the thumbnails out of his CL advertisement . Sorry the wheel space chart is kind of weak
Jaguar suspensions front and rear. These are great in your street rod. With independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 piston calipers and power rack and pinion steering, your street rod will drive like it never has before! Installation is also available. I have done installations on 1937 plymouth, 1941 chevy, 1941 ford pu, 1947 Ford pu, 1949 Ford pu, 1950 Chevy, 1950 Chevy Wagon and a 1957 Chevy pickup. The pictures are of a 1957 Chevy pickup frame. I can also supply all of the rebuild parts for your project. If you are interested give me a call a 503-302-5222. Check out my website at www.affinity-imports.com Troy
A call to him with the measurements from the wheel spacing chart in hand would be a great place to start. At the very least you need to know widths from inner side of outer fender to same on the other side and width of inner fender to inner fender or frame rail to frame rail whichever is wider. With that he can tell you if the Jaguar IRS is even a possibility.
Note: I have never met or talked to this guy so I don't know whether he is helpful or good at what he does. I'm just passing him along as a possible place to get information you want.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jaguar IRS-2.jpg (163.1 KB, 108 views)
Jaguar IFS.JPG (148.4 KB, 72 views)
scan0005.jpg (37.4 KB, 62 views)
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Put me on your list

I have two 1948 68 Deluxe woodys. Neither is running or out of storage. It's my bucket list. One will be restored and the other a hot-rod I think. I don't have many photos at this time, but wanted to tell you that I'm out here.
Thanks for this thread.
Mike
Attached Images
P1070879.JPG (155.7 KB, 74 views)
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by MontanaMike
I have two 1948 68 Deluxe woodys. Neither is running or out of storage. It's my bucket list. One will be restored and the other a hot-rod I think. I don't have many photos at this time, but wanted to tell you that I'm out here.
Thanks for this thread.
Mike
Mike, Thanks for chiming in. You have two rare finds in those Woodys. Here's hoping you will post some more pics as you get time. I will add you to my list of contacts and hope you will go through the thread and add those who have contributed to it to your list of contacts.

I've had the pleasure of visiting Bozeman MT a few times while touring on my motorcycle and always found it to be friendly and in a beautiful setting. Don't wait too long to start working on that bucket list.
Jerry
Old March 24th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Maybe another 46-47 in S. Idaho for Sale

Originally Posted by MontanaMike
Thanks for this thread.
Mike
Mike and others who have subscribed to this thread, there is a new post on the Vintage forum from restoman in S. Idaho who has a 46 coupe and a 4dr. parts car and is looking to sell. I sent him a reply and hope he jumps on this thread at least as long as he has the two cars.
Jerry
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:45 AM

'47 Trim Clips

I'm looking for some of the trim clips that hold the trim on around the door and quarter windows, '46- to '48. Anybody got any extras or a source they know of for these? The quarter window trim was held on with "track type" fasteners and they are toast, so I will use regular clips.
Doug.
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:49 AM

'47 trim clips

Try these guys

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/Products.html
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by D.Mac
Those Sanderson headers are nice, but I like cast iron exhaust manifolds, so I picked-up a set of Thornton Reproductions W-30 style manifolds. They fit in the '47 real well, no issues on either side and plenty of room for steering.
Right now I'm jigging-up the rear axle, getting ready to transfer the '47 mounts to the new housing. Next will be finalizing the rear shock location and mounts. I'm leaning towards rear mounted shocks as on the early '60's Chev pick-ups that also used trailing arm suspension. Anyone have any other ideas or pictures of finished shock installations?
Doug
The 63-68 Chevy pickup rear suspension is very similar to the Old's setup. The Chevy swing arms, and mounting hardware is pretty simple to mount into the Olds frame.. The pickup suspension will also provide lower mounting brackets for the shocks... The Chevy swing arms will mount directly to the axle housing using U bolts.

I know this thread is aimed at the '48 and earlier cars, however, maybe since my '49 is a close cousin, you will let me tag along... After all the '49-50 grille is just a refinement of the earlier grilles..

I am currently restoring a '49 Old's 88 2dr club sdn..
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM

Doug, don't know if it is workable for you but if you look on Craigslist.org for Seattle, there is a guy in Puyallup that has a 46 he is parting out. From the pics he has a bone yard of old cars. I found it by going to car parts and then typing 1946 in the search window. If I'm wrong about the year try 1947.
Jerry
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Anybody need a parts car?

I found this car on Craigs list for Helena Montana. Looks like a rust free Montana car. You can probably get more photos if you contact him.

If interested contact information is below:

1947 Olds Model 76 Hydromatic - $1800 ?????

John Parry
Email: tjnparry@wildblue.net
Phone: 406-437-2087
Attached Images
100_1947.jpg (106.6 KB, 94 views)
100_1949.jpg (119.4 KB, 108 views)
100_1950.jpg (116.7 KB, 89 views)
100_1951.jpg (106.6 KB, 95 views)
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:37 AM

Good find. My eyes went right to that excellent grille and front bumper. You don't see those very often.
Jerry
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:13 PM

Smile Portland Oregon Swap Meet 46-48 Oldsmobiles

Just finished four days at the Portland Swap Meet. The best part was meeting Doug from Central Oregon in person and some who had 46-48 Oldsmobiles but weren't members. I gave them the link to the site and hope they come on board.

We had a space on the race track site (PIR) and I had some stuff from various projects including the 47 convertible. Anyone with early 50s Olds stuff could have sold a pile of it. I also got a line on a couple of potential 46-48 parts cars close by and will call the owner and go take a look.

If you live in the Pacific NW and like swap meets this is one of the best. 4,000 or more spaces, two adjacent sites, right off I-5. Put it on your to-do list for the second weekend in April next year. Motels nearby but you gotta reserve months ahead. Yup, it's that popular.
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Hi All -- Great thread!!

I'm brand new here -- picked up a '46 66 coupe over the weekend from my Dad. He put a fat Boy front end on it and dropped in a V-6 and 5-speed from a '96 camaro. Beyond that, it's a basket case. First step is to finish a 260Z in my shop so I have room. Then I'll be getting the engine to run -- computer hooked, necessary wiring, fuel pump, etc. Then rig up the steering linkage, get a drive shaft, off for an exhaust.....

The fun never ends.

Thanks!
Glen
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ncolz
Hi All -- Great thread!!

I'm brand new here -- picked up a '46 66 coupe over the weekend from my Dad. He put a fat Boy front end on it and dropped in a V-6 and 5-speed from a '96 camaro. Beyond that, it's a basket case.

The fun never ends.

Thanks!
Glen
Hi Glen and welcome. Glad to have another 40s owner. Post some pics of where you are starting from and keep us up to date as you make progress.
I'm trying to keep this thread active so we have somewhere to turn for parts and ideas for our 46-48 cars. Keep on writing in.
Jerry
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM

Welcome to the group. All of us here seem to be in different stages of putting our rigs together. First conversion I have heard about with a V6 conversion. What size is the V6
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by blucar
The 63-68 Chevy pickup rear suspension is very similar to the Old's setup. The Chevy swing arms, and mounting hardware is pretty simple to mount into the Olds frame.. The pickup suspension will also provide lower mounting brackets for the shocks... The Chevy swing arms will mount directly to the axle housing using U bolts.

I know this thread is aimed at the '48 and earlier cars, however, maybe since my '49 is a close cousin, you will let me tag along... After all the '49-50 grille is just a refinement of the earlier grilles..

I am currently restoring a '49 Old's 88 2dr club sdn..
It took me a while to pick up on your post. Sorry. I've noticed the similarity of the trailing arm suspension on Chevy pickups to the Olds trailing arm/coil spring rear suspension. Do you have any pics of such a conversion? Please post them if you do.

I don't run anything around here and that is a good thing but I'm reasonably certain all who have chimed in on this thread would be happy to have you as a contributor and observer. I'm looking forward to any pics you have.
Jerry
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM

v-6

It's a 3.8 liter V-6 from a '96 Camaro. I tried to convince my Dad to use an LT-1.... but he was thinking better fuel economy, as if the car will be driven enough for that to really matter. Oh well, it should motor the car around just fine, so maybe he had the right idea.

I posted some pictures of it into my gallery.
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:49 PM

It's a 3.8 liter V-6 from a '96 Camaro. I tried to convince my Dad to use an LT-1.... but he was thinking better fuel economy, as if the car will be driven enough for that to really matter. Oh well, it should motor the car around just fine, so maybe he had the right idea.

I posted some pictures of it into my gallery.

I looked at the gallery pics and left a comment. As far as the 3.8, Olds used the 3.8 for several years. I had a big white whale of an 88 with the 3.8 and it had a surprising amount of torque. It went for 175,000 miles before getting pretty tired. A friend has the supercharged version out of a 95 Bonneville in a chevy coupe and it puts out plenty of HP. Find someone who can tune the engine computer and you can pick up another 20 or so HP. plus you won't have to deal with the troublesome "opti spark" distributor on LT1 engines.
Jerry
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:42 AM

Jerry -- Thanks for the comments. As I move along with it, I'll talk with an engine computer guy and see how he can tweak it. I like the V-6's -- rock solid engine. (I'm a long-time datsun guy, so real comfortable with the OHC straight 6 )

I hope to roll this in the shop next week and get started on it. I have another car to finish up so free up the room.

I'm looking for front and rear bumpers and trunk handle / latch. I know I'll run into more part needs as I stumble through this.

Thanks!
Glen
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM

Glen,
Interesting about your parts needs. I sure would like to see someone on this thread grab this car before it's gone. http://montana.craigslist.org/cto/2986771444.html

Looks to me that this 4 door sedan has all the parts you need plus more to sell. I see you live in N. Colorado - just a short 8-9 hour drive with your flat bed trailer to . Give the guy a call and talk to him and I encourage you to make him an offer.

I posted pics of the car in an earlier post on this thread.

Montana Mike
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:25 AM

Hi Montana Mike -

I've looked over that post. The car is interesting -- the drive is not though. unless the bumpers for these are 100% pure un-obtanium I figure I can find the few parts I think I need much closer. If this was closer, I'd be all over it though.

Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM

Parts for Your Oldsmobile

Bumpers can be found. What is darn near impossible are driver quality that wouldn't need rechroming. I just sold three fix-up bumpers at Portland swap meet. The rears are specific to the model of the car. My rear bumpers were for Model 66. The 70 and 90 series cars have a longer wrap around that protects more of the rear fender.

I think fronts are the same for all models but am not 100% positive on that. What is also hard to find are the bumper guards in any kind of decent shape. The fronts with the park light built in are tough to find.

I still have one set, front and rear, with bumper guards but would have to look to see if bumper brackets were on them. They are fixable and would require some dent removal and certainly rechroming.

You should probably look around locally/regionally to save shipping.

Jerry
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Jerry -- thanks for the additional information!! Yeah, I'll be hitting up all the local sources I can find to see what I can find.

As for rechroming, while I always cringe at the cost, I'm just an hour drive from Denver Bumper -- they do incredible work. I've used them on several Datsun Z-car bumpers and the finish is exceptional!

Glen
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM

1947 Model 76

I have a 1947 Model 76 that I've had for awhile. It's a project car but it runs good and drives (about 2200 miles since I've owned it), so with the exception of a front/rear disc brake conversion, it's been on the back burner for several years.

It was just moved here from storage in Kentucky and the NC DOT Inspector came and checked it out Thursday. Hopefully, I'll get my NC title (and tags) in a couple of weeks.
Attached Images
Olds_Side.jpg (61.2 KB, 112 views)
Olds_Rear.jpg (48.9 KB, 115 views)
Olds_Dash.jpg (79.1 KB, 127 views)
47_Olds.jpg (71.7 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Chevillac; May 6th, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Welcome to the forum

Nice 47. We are growing group.

If any has or knows where I can find a complete trunk latch, handle, etc. I need the whole set up from the parts that are on the trunk lid to the parts the fit to the floor of the trunk. Please let me know been on the hunt for a while now
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM

[QUOTE=Chevillac;402390]I have a 1947 Model 76 that I've had for awhile. It's a project car but it runs good and drives (about 2200 miles since I've owned it), so with the exception of a front/rear disc brake conversion, it's been on the back burner for several years.

Looks like a real solid project. Welcome and I hope you will stay in touch and keep us all posted on progress.
Jerry
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Radiator cowel

With all the parts cars and rodding going on i wanted to post this request:

i am in need of the sheet metal cowl that mouts between the front fenders, under the hood, in front of the radiator and holds the hood latch in place.
my car is a 48, 78 model

leave a post or a phone call 612-554-0300
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM

underhood piece

If you look in Craigs List for Seattle, Cars and Trucks section, and put 1946 Oldsmobile in the search window there is a wrecker in Puyallup, WA. who has a 46 Olds parts car. It is a 4 dr. and a 46 but I think that piece ahead of the radiator is the same for all models 46-48.
Jerry
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks ever so much for the help. i will contact the seller.
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Here is my 1947 Olds Dynamic 76
Attached Images
47 Olds.jpg (170.2 KB, 108 views)
eddiek1.jpg (84.5 KB, 116 views)
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Dynamic '47 Looks Great

Originally Posted by Eddiejr
Very cool looking car. I like the long, low look and the skirts. Chrome on this one looks super. How did you get it so low?
Jerry
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Very cool looking car. I like the long, low look and the skirts. Chrome on this one looks super. How did you get it so low?
Jerry
I had it bagged all around. Best part no cutting just removed the springs and installed airbags. The chrome was all redone took a drive to Montclair CA and had all chrome done
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Well, my project will be taking an interesting turn. I picked up a Jag rear-end similar to the one in post 41 - though not as shiny (yet). I'll contact Troy at Affinity Imports once I get to that point.

Happy weekend everyone!
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Jaguar rear end in 40s Oldsmobile

Well, my project will be taking an interesting turn. I picked up a Jag rear-end similar to the one in post 41 - though not as shiny (yet). I'll contact Troy at Affinity Imports once I get to that point.

Happy weekend everyone!
That should be a real interesting sub-project. Lots of us will be curious how it goes so please document with notes and pictures to this thread and to major builds forum once you get going on it.
Jerry
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:24 PM

V8 Exhaust manifolds WTB

Checking with you guys in the 46-48 sub group hoping someone has a dirty, rusty, not very nice set of exhaust manifolds that will fit my 455 when I first start it up as a rebuilt engine. They don't have to be for any particular model as the engine is going in the 47.

Low price and ability to bolt them on are main criteria. I don't want to risk the new coated headers in case things get a little warm setting things like timing correctly. I don't mind if the old ones glow for a bit.

I've been told 350 Olds manifolds will also work but don't know that for a fact.
Thanks for any help including leads.
Jerry

This will be cross posted in the parts forum.
Old May 19th, 2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 47 convertible
checking with you guys in the 46-48 sub group hoping someone has a dirty, rusty, not very nice set of exhaust manifolds that will fit my 455 when i first start it up as a rebuilt engine.
Jerry

this will be cross posted in the parts forum.
ignore message. A decent set of manifolds offered and purchased.
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eddiejr
beautiful olds!!!! i saw pictures of your ride and thought it was awesome. PLEASE provide details on build specs.
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:24 AM

47 oldsmobile club coupe series 66

Thought that I would add to this tread. I have a Stock 1947 Oldsmobile series 66 Club Coupe. It still has 6 volt; 238 cubic in. flathead and the Hydra-matic drive transmission. I take to around Hillsboro Or. where I live and also: Vernonia; Woodburn; Beaverton; Gaston; and once to Dan's Classics in Portland. Going through the 26 tunnel was and experience. The 47 did not let me down and got me back home without using AAA on speed dial. The 47 shows approx 45,000 miles and I think that it is true. Nothing has been changed out that I can tell and the body is solid and no patches. It isn't a powerhouse, but it does like the cruisins. People comment that they still enjoy seeing the orginial engine; the wood look a like dash; and the glass windshield washer. Still works with the vacuum wipers. I'll attach some pictures and also pictures can be seen under the 47 Coupe gallery. You gotta love them 40's Oldsmobile.
Attached Images
100_0757.jpg (80.2 KB, 85 views)
100_0753.jpg (89.4 KB, 74 views)
100_0760.jpg (112.7 KB, 68 views)
100_0759.jpg (97.0 KB, 81 views)
100_0756.jpg (85.6 KB, 74 views)
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:06 AM

47 Coupe,
Sweet! Very nice original. I viewed your gallery posts from 2008 and I have one question. I noticed that since then you have upholstered the seat in leather. Other than durability, what mede you decide to go that way ? If you ever have it judged as an original, will it have any sway on the judging? I ask this because I am in the process of restoring a 48 woodie and I too would like to go with leather, but would not wish to compromise the originality if it will affect judging decisions. What do you think?
You have a beautiful car sir! For me it's nice to see original cars even though I know it is next to impossible to get some on the road without some customization.
Montana Mike
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:31 AM

The 6 & 8 cylinder flat head engines that Old's and Pontiac made up through the '53 model year in the Pontiac's was a very reliable engine.. It is probably a little known fact to many of the Old's lovers that The GMC trucks up to '38 used Old's and/or Pontiac engines.
I use to have a '37 GMC 1/2 ton that had a Old's 6 in it. I replaced the Old's engine with a later model Chevy 6 and a 350 trans. I kept the Old's engine because it was a very good running engine. I now have another '37 GMC 1/2 ton so I have a spare engine for it...
The big drawback to the old flat head engines is the cost to repair/rebuild them.. I had a '53 Pontiac 8 several years ago.. The engine started knocking so I had it rebuilt... It cost me almost $5k to get the engine rebuilt.. Of course the early V8's can be very expensive to rebuild also, that is why I opted for a newer engine in my '49 Old's....Bill
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:13 AM

Bill,
I hope you don't think I was knocking those who don't go original. I too face the same dilema. I have two cars, both straight 8's. One I will rebuild for sure - but the other is questionable and I won't make that decision until after I rebuild the first. Affordability is a big question. So is reliability So I can see where a nice little Old's 215, 307 or 350 could come in play. Then there is the front spring question, and brakes, - and - and - and - and -
You see what I mean. Engine swaps make for interesting nightmares too.

Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?