Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Car Covers, Waterproof and/or dust covers

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Ric

Car Covers, Waterproof and/or dust covers

Hello All,
Any idea where to find a waterproof cover for my 1950 Oldsmobile? Do I need to go custom? Lots of $$$ to do that. Wifey will make me a dust cover out of old sheets. Any ideas?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tell wifey she needs to find a way to make a garage instead of an old cover sheet.....

Seriously? There are lots of covers out there. Some offer triple layer or more. Bottom line is you're leaving your great classic out in the weather. And it's not just moisture that kills the car. It will also be open from below to rodents and such looking for a place to nest over the winter. They WILL find a way to get into the car.....Have you looked into the mini portable garages? They cost around 700-900 bucks for one the size you need. I like the option of the mini garage because you can always go out and check on your car whenever the urge arises.

here are some web links to consider
http://www.portablegaragesandshelters.com/products
http://www.kodiakshelters.com/module...Gallery&cid=13
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Ric

Originally Posted by Allan R
Tell wifey she needs to find a way to make a garage instead of an old cover sheet.....

Seriously? There are lots of covers out there. Some offer triple layer or more. Bottom line is you're leaving your great classic out in the weather. And it's not just moisture that kills the car. It will also be open from below to rodents and such looking for a place to nest over the winter. They WILL find a way to get into the car.....Have you looked into the mini portable garages? They cost around 700-900 bucks for one the size you need. I like the option of the mini garage because you can always go out and check on your car whenever the urge arises.

here are some web links to consider
http://www.portablegaragesandshelters.com/products
http://www.kodiakshelters.com/module...Gallery&cid=13
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Ric

Wifey here, since hubby doesn't use computer. We have the portable garage, and a word of advice, never erect a portable garage with someone you love

The dust cover is for *inside* the garage and the waterproof cover is for when we travel.

Appreciate your words of advice though, thanks. The problem has been finding a cover that will be a good fit for the 1950 Olds. So ... we may have to go custom (which will probably cost as much as the portable garage!!)
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ric
After you go into 'Quote' you post your message below the quoted area. I'm guessing you hit reply instead of preview?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Ric
Wifey here, since hubby doesn't use computer. We have the portable garage, and a word of advice, never erect a portable garage with someone you love

The dust cover is for *inside* the garage and the waterproof cover is for when we travel.

Appreciate your words of advice though, thanks. The problem has been finding a cover that will be a good fit for the 1950 Olds. So ... we may have to go custom (which will probably cost as much as the portable garage!!)
Hello Wifey!
Got it. You probably will have to go custom if for traveling. For in the PG, I'll bet you can whip up something nice pretty fast. I use old flannel bedsheets over top of my car, but it's in a double garage, and sometimes I put stuff on the car, so it gets several layers of old cloth sheets etc over the flannel to keep from denting or scratching. The only disadvantage of the double garage is access to the house door goes by the front of my 72. So I keep several old bedcovers draped over that corner. Seems to work.

Hope you find the solution to your problem at a reasonable cost. Ask around, maybe someone can do this at a discounted price? I know $$$ is tough right now and most shops will give deals rather than lose business.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
2 '66 98's

I keep one of my cars in a portable garage in the winter but I also have it in one of those plastic bubbles with a fan blowing air to ward off moisture. It also keeps vermin out. They can be had for about the price of a decent cover.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Ric

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hello Wifey!
Got it. You probably will have to go custom if for traveling. For in the PG, I'll bet you can whip up something nice pretty fast. I use old flannel bedsheets over top of my car, but it's in a double garage, and sometimes I put stuff on the car, so it gets several layers of old cloth sheets etc over the flannel to keep from denting or scratching. The only disadvantage of the double garage is access to the house door goes by the front of my 72. So I keep several old bedcovers draped over that corner. Seems to work.

Hope you find the solution to your problem at a reasonable cost. Ask around, maybe someone can do this at a discounted price? I know $$$ is tough right now and most shops will give deals rather than lose business.
Thanks Alan R, that is helpful. Need I tell you that wifey would have to sleep out in the elements before the Olds would.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by Ric
Hello All,
Any idea where to find a waterproof cover for my 1950 Oldsmobile?
eBay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-8...item2a11b9589d
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ric

Thanks very much Mak, This won't be a fit for the fastback, but I've sent an inquiry to the company. Appreciate your help.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM

I just bought a size 4 at autozone - they have a 5 whcih probably would work easily for you. I did a lot of research on this and it seams the expensive ones feel nice to us humans but the 50 - 70 dollar ones work just as well for our cars