Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Why is it so hard to find info and parts?

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Why is it so hard to find info and parts?

I have a 1951 Olds 2dr sedan. Not sure if it's a super88 or a super deluxe 88. It seems like there's parts out there for a 49-50 and then 52 and newer. Anyway I need some help with this body tag.

Style # 51 3611D
Body # 9780
Trim # 3
Paint # 530
Top. ACC
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Oldsdruid

You're dealing with a 50 year old car that was a transition year for Olds. To start, an AACA www.aaca.org or National Antique Olds Club www.antiqueolds.org membership will help you.

I'm trying to get out the door to an auction right now, but I'll try to work on your cowl tag a little later.
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM

I will try that. Thanks for your future help
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by 1951Super
I have a 1951 Olds 2dr sedan. Not sure if it's a super88 or a super deluxe 88. It seems like there's parts out there for a 49-50 and then 52 and newer. Anyway I need some help with this body tag.

Style # 51 3611D You have a 1951 Super 88. 3611 was the 88A which was based on the 1950 car.
Body # 9780 It was 3611D body # 9780 at the Fisher Assembly plant
Trim # 3 Dark Gray Striped Nylon Pile-Cord with Light Gray Nylon Cloth in Super 88 and 98 closed cars.
Paint # 530 53 is Sand Beige but 53C Canto Cream was also available and was a carryover color from 1949-50.
Top. ACC Not sure what this one is.
Hope this has helped.
Old July 19th, 2012, 05:30 AM

<<Originally Posted by 1951Super
I have a 1951 Olds 2dr sedan. Not sure if it's a super88 or a super deluxe 88. It seems like there's parts out there for a 49-50 and then 52 and newer. Anyway I need some help with this body tag.>>

Agree - you should try owning a '51 98. It's even worse! The Fusick catalog is especially frustrating.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:37 AM

I have a 51 Super 88 and it does seem I can find '48-'50 stuff and '53-'57 stuff fairly easy...
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:05 PM

We all live in our own world of hard to find parts, try finding convertible parts for a 55, few and far between.

I have found that if you ask everyone you know about your part and if they don't know then ask if they know of someone else who might know, the lead list gets substantially longer and you build up your own data base. The parts are out there you just gotta look and ask.

I have a close doctor friend who restores brass era cars( he has seven of them) you talk about patience all his cars are made of unatainum....Tedd
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1951Super
I have a 1951 Olds 2dr sedan. Not sure if it's a super88 or a super deluxe 88. It seems like there's parts out there for a 49-50 and then 52 and newer.
Have a look at USA Parts Supply - they have lots that go back into the 40's.

http://www.usapartssupply.com/upload...75_catalog.pdf

Here's a link to identifying your car
http://classiccardatabase.com/specs....51&model=27767

I already posted a link for the glass you were looking for on your other thread.
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM

40s and 50s OLDS parts

And I have MOUNTAINS of parts for you all -- but my parts are limited to NEW, N.O.S., and all mechanical parts -- Brakes, Front End, Water & Fuel Pumps, Motor Mounts, Ignition & Electrical & more....

Sorry no "Used" parts -- or effectively "Pieces of car"............

Some of the parts themselves will tell you what year it is..... the one "smaller" distributor cap was used until 1950, then the larger pre-window distributor cap was used 1951 - 1956, for example.....

Some old timers in the Olds hobby will remember Rex Hall of Soldier, Kansas --- and You newerbees are indeed sad he's no longer with us -- and you don't even know it...... he was a demi-god for the Olds hobbyist, years gone by..............
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:48 AM

I just sold my rare '51 88A 2 door after 18 years owning it.
Prior restorations were always Chevys.
I found the Olds restoration much more rewarding/enjoyable as it was so much more difficult and a challenge finding the rare Olds parts..... Maybe that's just me.
Of course it helped living only 20 miles from Fusick Auto.
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
And I have MOUNTAINS of parts for you all -- but my parts are limited to NEW, N.O.S., and all mechanical parts -- Brakes, Front End, Water & Fuel Pumps, Motor Mounts, Ignition & Electrical & more....

Sorry no "Used" parts -- or effectively "Pieces of car"............

Some of the parts themselves will tell you what year it is..... the one "smaller" distributor cap was used until 1950, then the larger pre-window distributor cap was used 1951 - 1956, for example.....

Some old timers in the Olds hobby will remember Rex Hall of Soldier, Kansas --- and You newerbees are indeed sad he's no longer with us -- and you don't even know it...... he was a demi-god for the Olds hobbyist, years gone by..............
yes, i bought a door and a fender after an accident decades ago from Warren Hall in Kansas, had it shipped by truck to Canada. This was before the internet and it meant a conversation by telephone and I had an idea of what the man looked like in my mind, and I thought of him to be a character. I have seen recent pictures on the HAMB of what seems to remains of some vintage oldsmobiles all collected together somewhere there, surprised that someone isn't actively peddling the parts.
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by pete324rocket
yes, i bought a door and a fender after an accident decades ago from Warren Hall in Kansas, had it shipped by truck to Canada. This was before the internet and it meant a conversation by telephone and I had an idea of what the man looked like in my mind, and I thought of him to be a character. I have seen recent pictures on the HAMB of what seems to remains of some vintage oldsmobiles all collected together somewhere there, surprised that someone isn't actively peddling the parts.

Sadly most of it got scrapped. The auction was not well attended, but I understand the best of the NOS and used parts were saved. I have some 1952 bumpers and engine parts from Hall's hoard. Too bad, he was before the current 'popularity curve' for Oldsmobile cars. Should a point in time arrive when future owners wish to 'un sub frame' Oldsmobile cars, then the gaping hole in needed parts left by shredding what Hall's had might be realized.
Old October 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM

COOL Olds cars

Originally Posted by kcars
I just sold my rare '51 88A 2 door after 18 years owning it.
Prior restorations were always Chevys.
I found the Olds restoration much more rewarding/enjoyable as it was so much more difficult and a challenge finding the rare Olds parts..... Maybe that's just me.
Of course it helped living only 20 miles from Fusick Auto.
Hey Guys:
It is much more rewarding working w/ an Olds vs. other GM cars. I live in Central Ohio and after you go to 2-3 cruises, you have pretty much seen the traveling circus. We are starting a major resto on my 66 Cutlass, the car is still in drivable condition. We would drive to the cruise as spectators, next thing you know there is a crowd around the car and people are asking questions, even w/ body rust exposed and all the other ugly stuff exposed. The major comment was "this is way cool, not your everyday chevelle, camaro, mustang or whatever. Finish that car and be proud of it, ther are not many of us out there and we need your help!
Thanks Ron
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:05 AM

Just curious, why are these old posts showing up at the top of the forum list.?
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:35 AM

Finding parts for older Convertibles

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
We all live in our own world of hard to find parts, try finding convertible parts for a 55, few and far between.

I have found that if you ask everyone you know about your part and if they don't know then ask if they know of someone else who might know, the lead list gets substantially longer and you build up your own data base. The parts are out there you just gotta look and ask.

Tedd
X2 what Tedd says. Go back another decade (almost) to mid and late 40s Oldsmobile convertibles such as my 47 Model 68. and the mid 40s convertibles about a half dozen other CO members own. The problem just gets worse. Now imagine you were in Europe and owned a 40s convertible! Perseverance and creativity are a required qualities if you want to get from start to finish plus a long time line. I think I must have come from the masochist school of old car enthusiasts.

I've located a few old wrecking yards that have some parts and I guard their identity tighter than a great fishing stream. I've also discovered that for the 60 model Oldsmobiles some things from Chevys and Pontiacs of the same years will interchange. Hollander Interchange and some old GM Interchange manuals are your new best friends.

I've even resorted to making some parts and more than once have had more skilled craftsmen than myself make things like the convertible top latches and the wooden bow for the top and rubber pads for taillights. On my car some previous owner made his own fulcrum arms where the top mechanism bolts on. Unfortunately they were not accurate. It took weeks of trial and error re fabricating finally solved that.

As Tedd says "we all live in our own world of hard to find parts." But the sense of accomplishment is so much greater than if you just pick up the phone and call "Joe's House of Camarostangs" for a box full of newly manufactured items. At least that is my rationale. And no, I don't dislike Camaros or Mustangs or belittle their enthusiasts. Its just not my thing.
Jerry