Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

all 56 owners ck in

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM

Whoooow that helps me very much. The box acc is never filled in.
Now I can put my trim tag together, the only number that I will never find again is the fisher body number!
Anyway, then I need to make one up.
thanks so much!!!!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM

I just looked at trimtag.com, but they only seem to fabricate Olds tags for 65-77 made cars.
I am checking with them now, if they also would come up with a 56.
thanks
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:22 PM

I just got the front clip sheet metal back from acid dipping and epoxy coating. I am very happy with the work. The parts look like new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds 001.jpg (52.7 KB, 31 views)
olds 002.jpg (41.1 KB, 29 views)
olds 003.jpg (48.2 KB, 28 views)
olds 004.jpg (54.2 KB, 27 views)
olds 005.jpg (50.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by 56Super88; February 9th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:02 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by 56Super88
I just got the front clip sheet metal back from acid dipping and epoxy coating. I am very happy with the work. The parts look like new.
is that like a powder coating , they came out great btw
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:13 AM

They turned out nice. Quick and painless? How was it on the pocket book?
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM

It is an epoxy based primer that the parts are dipped in to stop any new rust. I just need to 400 grit sand and paint. I didn't think the price was to bad $600.00 for the whole front clip. It included acid dip, cleaning and epoxy coating.

I am just waiting now for the door panels to be shipped back to me from SMS Fabrics in OR. Then if it ever warms up in Wisconsin I can finish the body work and prep for paint.
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:29 AM

$600 is not bad at all.
I'd love to hear about how your panels turn out.
Old February 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM

I plan on painting the insides of all the fenders and hood with single stage enamel and then assemble the front end finish sanding then 3 coats of red / white base coat and 4 coats of clear coat. I still have a lot of work to do.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:25 AM

Here is an idea of what I am doing with my 56 Holiday. There will be a roof chop, shaving all the handles and most of the stainless. I plan to pancake the hood a bit. I will be lowering the car, but not sure if I will airbag it or not. I will also be changing the rear doors to a suicide door set up. Should be fairly unique when it's done.
Attached Images
before & after small.jpg (76.1 KB, 28 views)
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by 56oldsnub
Here is an idea of what I am doing with my 56 Holiday. There will be a roof chop, shaving all the handles and most of the stainless. I plan to pancake the hood a bit. I will be lowering the car, but not sure if I will airbag it or not. I will also be changing the rear doors to a suicide door set up. Should be fairly unique when it's done.
airbags are a must, there's nothing like driving in at stock height and slaming it at a car show. These cars look great lowered but you also want to be able to drive the old girl. Ck out my brother's buick that he just got bagged.

Last edited by hialeah56; February 22nd, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
1956 holiday coupe

btw the whitewalls got cleaned up with bleach white just not in this picture
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM

very cool, i like the idea. im also goin custom on my 56 just no chop.....
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM

Erit, your bro's Buick looks cool at that height. What type of setup did he use. (i.e. Ridetech etc.) Did he install it himself or did he get it installed? Did he keep the stock a-arms (with mods of course) or did he go with new?...I've got all sorts of questions if he did it himself?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Erit, your bro's Buick looks cool at that height. What type of setup did he use. (i.e. Ridetech etc.) Did he install it himself or did he get it installed? Did he keep the stock a-arms (with mods of course) or did he go with new?...I've got all sorts of questions if he did it himself?
He took it to a friends shop that does hydraulics and bag installs. They used firestone bags with 2 480 vi-air compressors and the brackets were all custom made. The a-arms are stock but they cut something in the front which allowed more travel. I would have to get my brother in a good mood to let me take some pics of the work they did. I like it but I also see that the rear in our cars would have to be done different since buicks have coil springs instead of leafs. I was thinking of getting a 4-link done for the rear of mine but I dare not attempt this myself and I got quoted $800 by a friend, so that might have to wait.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:02 PM

Everybody needs a friend that does hydraulics and bag installs....wish I had one
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:38 AM

@56oldsnub
you should make a trip to winnipeg and i'll introduce you to my buddy,we are in the same club and he is bagging all rides going through his hands.i'm sure he will help you out.
..with your roof chop idea,any thoughts about the front and rear glass already?it seems no one is touching the wrap around windshields.
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:54 PM

the original windshield has delaminated so it's pretty much junk...that being said I thought I would take a shot at using my sand blaster to cut it....I'm told it can be done and I have a basic idea about how I'm going to do it....figured I'd use the delaminated one as a guinea pig until I got my technique down...then cross my fingers and cut down the new one....but if anyone has any easier, or less risky....I'm all ears
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:59 PM

euroman....trust me, I'd love t take it too your buddy...but I plan to do the suspension while I've got the chassis on the rotisserie....looks like I'll either have to bring somebody in to do it, or take a shot at it myself...

Erit....I'm also thinking about doing the 4-link...if I do I'll be sure to take lots of photos for you..
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
1956 holiday coupe

euroman....trust me, I'd love t take it too your buddy...but I plan to do the suspension while I've got the chassis on the rotisserie....looks like I'll either have to bring somebody in to do it, or take a shot at it myself...

Erit....I'm also thinking about doing the 4-link...if I do I'll be sure to take lots of photos for you..
Yeah I've seen them do it with a sandblaster, way too cool. Also have you heard of cutting the glass, then fitting the roof to the glass or is my metal guy full of it? He said it was the easiest and most effective way to do it and get a good seal. That if you do it the other way around you always have to go back and tweek the roof. BTW, I would love to see pics of the 4-link
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Erit..i've heard about it now a few times that the glass should be made before the roof is done so it seems your metal guy is right.
Bret,awhile ago i've found a homepage with a detailed way to sandblast a curved windshield,i just have to find it on my other computer and post the link.

Rainer
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Erit & Rainer...doing the window first is an excellent idea...(one I never thought of)...I'm going to meka sure I do it that way. I'm way better at altering metal than glass ...thanks for the tip.

I'd love to see the webpage if you find it. I've found a couple, but I'm always looking for info.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:09 PM

Here is mine

man, I missed this tread
Attached Images
poorboys3 copy.jpg (118.9 KB, 37 views)
poorboys2 copy.jpg (136.8 KB, 43 views)
engine.jpg (134.8 KB, 37 views)
100_2137.jpg (124.8 KB, 39 views)
101_1105.jpg (77.2 KB, 29 views)
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:06 AM

Nice looking car Darrin....Did you lower it yourself?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM

Hi everyone, new to the forums. Restoring a 56 Olds Holiday Coupe for my dad. Looking forward to learning some great things and meeting some good people.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by 1956OldsDarrin
man, I missed this tread
looking good

Originally Posted by Neto56
Hi everyone, new to the forums. Restoring a 56 Olds Holiday Coupe for my dad. Looking forward to learning some great things and meeting some good people.
welcome to CO don't tease us ,any pics
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM

Hi Hialeah, the front end is off, the engine and transmission have been rebuilt but I have run into some problems with my painter. Needless to say I had to find a new steering wheel and column because they lost the original one it came with. He hasn't returned my calls and still has the fenders and one gallon of paint I already bought. So sadly I'm looking to get a new pair of fenders and cut him loose. I hate to do it but I'm pretty much out of options at this point. I'm behind schedule two years now because of this guy. So if anyone can tell me where I can pick up a pair of good fenders I would really appreciate it.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM

lowering

I cut 2 coils from the front, however the 455/th400 combo is considerably lighter than original.
my suggestion would be start at 1 coil, let it settle and see if you want to go another 1/2.
If you put the floor jack under the frame end of the A arm (with engine in the car) and unbolt the cross piece from the frame you can quite easily drop the coil right out.
I just used belltech lowering blocks on the rear, but I had to modify them, look at my stuff section, for a diagram.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by Neto56
Hi Hialeah, the front end is off, the engine and transmission have been rebuilt but I have run into some problems with my painter. Needless to say I had to find a new steering wheel and column because they lost the original one it came with. He hasn't returned my calls and still has the fenders and one gallon of paint I already bought. So sadly I'm looking to get a new pair of fenders and cut him loose. I hate to do it but I'm pretty much out of options at this point. I'm behind schedule two years now because of this guy. So if anyone can tell me where I can pick up a pair of good fenders I would really appreciate it.
I understand 100% I got robbed out of $4500 from a shop that closed down and left my car outside, don't feel bad keep your head in the game and look forward. I have an extra column but it is only the outside no steering wheel shaft (name?) and it is a manual steering one not a power steering one, meaning it doesn't have the lower bearing like the power steering one. As for the fenders if you don't find any good ones I have some but they are for a four door s88 ( the have holes for the holiday script) and the need a lottttt of metal work but I could let them go for $70 plus what ever it is to greyhound them to you. BTW $50 for the column if interested plus what ever it is to ship. Also have a steering wheel needs work also for $70 plus shipping
Erit

Last edited by hialeah56; March 3rd, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Have a 55 parts car - not sure of the interchangeability of the steering columns but if you need the whole thing complete feel free to PM me.
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:22 AM

wow...Neto...sucks that the painter is screwing you like that. Not sure how much of a hurry you are in, but in about 6-8 months time I will have a whole raft of spare parts. I am taking my 2 56 98's and turning all the best parts into one cool 98...unfortunately right now I'm still picking and choosing the parts I want from both (plus the fact that it's -20 here), and then I will have to reassemble the car, etc. Once that is done I will have parts to let go.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Hi 56,

You know it was kind of my fault. The guy has really become a slave to drugs but man can he get down and paint. He did my 63 Impala SS while he was first starting to get into the habit, and it turned out great. In fact last summer they just stole a 57 Bel Air he painted for this guy who use to have him paint all his Bel Air's but this particular 57 was the owner's baby, they valued it at $150,000, got printed in the newspaper here in LA and everything. I can always have my new painter work on the body and the hood and everything else in the mean time, how much are you looking to ask for the fenders?
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM

It's funny Hialeah, that's exactly what happened to me. Those douchebags left the column in the car and left the entire car outside for months, it was no surprise that it was gone when I went to go pick up the car. Thanks for the offer on the steering column but I literally just picked one up a couple of weeks ago. I'm so sad because the car was complete. It was a desert car, some rot in the rear floor pans because the windows had been shot out and there were newspapers on the floor so with a combination of water and the newspapers the rear floors were eaten out. The rest of the car pristine with no rot through anywhere else, not in the trunk, the rear of the fenders, the rockers, no where. The hood is tweaked though, the spot welds in the rear left corner came undone so the hood is now warped. It had original power windows, wonder bar radio, rear speaker, single exhaust but with the dual exhaust tip ornaments, padded dash, courtesy lights but I've bought a bunch of extras for it, power antenna, power seat, autronic eye, reel out trunk light, view finder, handheld spotlight all kinds of goodies. Thanks guys you are the best.
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:36 PM

about the roof chop.
I saw a 55 olds 4 door, get chopped in a magazine ( custom rodder? ) and they basically took the whole roof, and channeled it into the body.
It gave them hidden wipers in the front, and they filled in a little in the rear deck and trimmed the chrome to match.
It LOOKED good ?
I dont know if It really would be any better but It sure looked easy.
just food for thought.
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:50 PM

Bret,
here is the link for the windshield cutting
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54...indshield.html
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks Euroman...good article

Darrin...I've heard of that before. If you could remember which magazine you saw that in and aprox when it came out would be awesome. I did a quick search of the net and couldn't find anythng.

Neto...not quite ready to part with my extra fenders just yet...have to see which of the 4 fit best before I part with the other 2.
Old March 5th, 2011, 01:00 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Thanks Euroman...good article

Darrin...I've heard of that before. If you could remember which magazine you saw that in and aprox when it came out would be awesome. I did a quick search of the net and couldn't find anythng.

Neto...not quite ready to part with my extra fenders just yet...have to see which of the 4 fit best before I part with the other 2.
found this on the hamb look at about 8 post down and it has pics of the 55 chop article. It says it was march 94 custom rodder.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=55+buick+chop
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=55+buick+chop
Thats the one, dig those 80s mags!

scroll down, to the old article.
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
1956 holiday coupe

someone on here was asking for a set of these, can't remember who
not mine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-...Q5fAccessories
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM

My '56 turn signals auto cancel. I also have a flashing problem but only on the right turn signal. I'm pretty sure it is a ground problem on the rt. rear turn signal. Gotta get it fixed 'cause it has to be inspected here in NY!
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:10 AM

OH! Those 56 Oldsmobiles!

I bought my first 56 Oldsmobile when I was 29 back in 1989, and I still have it along with 3 more since then.
Attached Images
DSCN0679.jpg (158.0 KB, 36 views)

Quick Reply: all 56 owners ck in