Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Friction in steering wheel ???

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2019, 03:31 PM

Friction in steering wheel ???

Hey guys,
while driving my 53 Olds the last couple of days I noticed that it was randomly getting some stiffness in the steering wheel.
it doesnt seem to be the steering itself but the actual steering wheel or shaft. there is even a tiny squeaking noise right where the wheel meets the column. Like it is starting to rub on something or needs to be lubed.
The steering is usually very loose and easy to turn, and theres about 1" of play in it from being old and stock.

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this, and or any solutions - Before I go and take the steering wheel off and dig around in there. =)

any info is much appreciated

Thx
Old March 26th, 2019, 06:47 AM
Administrator

You can disconnect the steering column shaft from the box and go from there to prove your theory and that joint will need to come apart to take the column out if you need to repair it. There is a top and bottom bearing in the column. Normally if one goes bad it leads to lateral play in the shaft.
Old March 26th, 2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can disconnect the steering column shaft from the box and go from there to prove your theory and that joint will need to come apart to take the column out if you need to repair it. There is a top and bottom bearing in the column. Normally if one goes bad it leads to lateral play in the shaft.
Thx for the info.
I hate to take the entire steering shaft out if i dont have to. Is there any way to take the upper bearing out without removing the shaft? Cuz that would be my guess if anything that the bearing is worn or needs to be greased
Ill have to consult my shop manual to see how complicated it is
Old March 28th, 2019, 03:43 PM

Well, without taking the steering wheel off I tried applying some lubricant to the upper bearing at the top of the steering column.
it seemed to help a little, but only for a short while.
Then after stopping by home and taking it out for another spin, it seemed to get significantly worse.
Its much more tight feeling now and making it fairly hard to turn the wheel. and also the steering does not straighten itself on its own going around corners very well now.
its almost as if trying to lube the bearing made it even worse.... i did not actually use grease like maybe i should have.
still scratching my head on this.
may end up trying to take the wheel off and pop out the bearing and see if its locked up or worn...

*sigh*
Old April 20th, 2019, 09:56 AM

well, good news.
solved the riddle last night. I ended up attempting to remove the steering wheel but I got as far as removing the center horn ring & nut holding the wheel on, and also removed the spring and horn pin. The steering wheel instantly freed up and turned normally. thats when I noticed the contact point on the pin was worn down and had a groove in it, which I believe was creating the friction as the steering wheel was turning.
So I removed it and filed the end down smooth so its not binding up anymore, and gave it a little lubricant, then reassembled everything.
works perfectly now. great news because I was worried it might be the upper bearing. I knew it wasnt lower because I could hear the grinding and squeaking coming from up top.

Still need to have the steering box adjusted to rid it of the slop thats in the wheel, but now I can cross one thing off the list and drive it around without having to manhandle the thing.
No power steering is one thing, but having the steering wheel stick on top of that is another
=D