Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

47 Convertible Newbie Post #1

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:32 PM

47 Convertible Newbie Post #1

Newbie message 1: Hello to all, glad to be a member. Will probably spend most of my time in the vintage forum as I have a Series 60 1947 Olds Convertible that could be charitably described as a "roller." I would classify myself as an amateur with experience and have built/restored a number of cars. I like the build and do most of my own work but leave off at paint, glass and upholstery for others who are better at it.

I'm not totally new to Olds as I had one in my college years when I drove a 56 88 2 dr. hardtop. Actually it was parked most of the time due to money being super tight.

About 1993 I bought a 1965 Cutlass Convertible with 330 engine and 2 spd transmission. I did a body-on restoration but unfortunately succumbed to an offer of twice what I had in it less than a year after completing it. Truth be known it was sort of a slug with that two speed automatic and a 2 bbl carb.

I am just finishing a 36 Chevy Sedan Streed Rod and have purchased the 47 Olds Convertible as the next project. It was started by a previous owner who is a professional hot rod builder and has the MII front end, GM 10 bolt rear which appears to be Pontiac and it's tied to some of the original 47 rear suspension incl. the trailing arms and a funky looking Panhard bar setup. Frame and body have been blasted and painted with epoxy primer and it was setup for a small block Chevy with 700 R4 crossmember. I did yank the SBC and 700 and sent them to a brother in Idaho. A 68 Olds 455 sits in the shop next to it as piece number one of getting stuff together for the build.

The plan is a sort of resto rod with no major modifications as I like the body lines and intend to keep crank up windows, door handles, original seats etc.
Top parts are mostly there except for cloth and the hydraulic system which is totally missing. All wiring in the car is gone too. So I will be looking at the swap meets and on line for hydraulic cylinders, lines, pump, controller etc. as well.

Thanks for allowing me in. At some point maybe I can contribute as well.
Jerry
Woodland WA
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM

Smile

Welcome!
Sounds like a very cool project Jerry. After you have your 5 newbie posts (anti-spam thing), you'll be able to show us some pictures.
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:47 PM

Welcome to the forum Jerry. Quaint little town Woodland. My sister lives in Snohomish and I lived there for about 6 months before moving to Thailand. My next door neighbor here in Thailand is from Gold Bar, small world.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:18 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Sounds like a great project. Be sure to post some pics when you can.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:49 AM
Past Administrator

Hey, welcome to CO. You want some cool encouragement? Check this thread out. Denise has one fine convertible, it is in about the sixth post down and then following, a nice blue color and done very well.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:01 AM

Welcome to the site Jerry. I am not that far away from you. Its great to see another Washington resident here. I have a 48 Olds 2dr sedan so it will be great to share information with you.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM

Thanks to all who took the time to make me feel welcome to the site. Good to know I have a neighbor in Cittcapp about 2 hr. north of me. Now that my 36 Chevy is in the hands of body and paint guy I can turn some attention to the Olds. I'm not much at multi-tasking so one car at a time.

Still trying to figure out how I want to proceed but do figure I need to be an opportunist when things I know I need come along like a decent grill or is it grille? and hydraulic stuff for the top.

I could use some information or a link to a source for the information regarding the 60 Series in the 40s. The PO (previous owner) said the body was virtually the same as Chevrolet as far as some body panels and convertible parts anyway. He called it an "A series" body. What little interchange information I have seems to suggest 60 series Olds, some Pontiacs and Chevys shared a number of parts.

Thanks for any links or information in that regard.

Jerry
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Hey, welcome to CO. You want some cool encouragement? Check this thread out. Denise has one fine convertible, it is in about the sixth post down and then following, a nice blue color and done very well.
The previous owner actually had a page from a hot rod mag with a pic of Denise's Olds Convertible at an indoor rod show --maybe the big one in Detroit? He gave the page to me along with a couple of build pics he took of my convertible chassis. It is encouraging to see how well they can turn out. I really appreciated the nice one piece bumpers. Any idea what they're from?
Jerry
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM

Jerry,

There are shared parts books available for the Olds, buick, pontic, chevy cars. You can find them on e-bay by typing in the 1947 Oldsmobile. Should be a big help to you. You also find fisher boby books that will help you with the convert top parts. My 48 is a 76 body style and the front bumper and rear bumpers are three piece. I am wondering about the single piece bumpers as well they have a nice clean look.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM

bumpers and other 47 parts

Originally Posted by citcapp
Jerry,

There are shared parts books available for the Olds, buick, pontic, chevy cars. You can find them on e-bay by typing in the 1947 Oldsmobile. Should be a big help to you. You also find fisher boby books that will help you with the convert top parts. My 48 is a 76 body style and the front bumper and rear bumpers are three piece. I am wondering about the single piece bumpers as well they have a nice clean look.
Citcapp, seems I misspelled your site name earlier. Sorry. I was looking on line last night for information on Denise's Big Olds and ran across a story in an older Rod and Custom where they say the bumpers are 47 Chevy but here is the kicker, each bumper is a composite of two Chevy bumpers. I suppose it's a width thing. I will get the two publications you mention and carry the interchange book with me at swap meets. Do you ever come down to the two Portland Swap Meets the first weekend of April? (Expo and PIR are practically side by side) I've always wanted to go to the Monroe meet but haven't put it together yet. Here is the link back to the R&C article: http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...ile/index.html
Jerry
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:57 PM

Jerry,

Haven't made it to the Portland swap. I know several people who have been to it and they all say its great. I have be to tne Monroe swap and it ok, not much Olds stuff though.

These 40's cars are a challenge to find good parts for. I bought my 48 last November and am still collecting parts. I Plan to start my build in the fall. For now I will just enjoy my 57

Pat
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM

Citcapp, I note you are going to put a 455 in the 48. I will be curious to know/see how that goes so I can learn re. motor mounts, crossmembers etc. Do I remember correctly that you are going the std. transmission route? I looked at that in some detail and guess I'm getting more into convenience/ease of driving and think I will go with built 200 or 700 when that time comes. In the meantime I'm doing very little on the Convertible and saving coins in case of cost overruns on paint, glass and upholstery for the 36 Chevy.
Jerry
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM

I will take some pictures of the engine compartment and post them for you to see. The car has the mustang front end with power rack and pinion steering and also has the motor mounts for the 455 installed. I am going with a 5 speed overdrive TKO 600 trans because I wanted a stick in this car. I will flat tow it behind my motorhome when my wife and I travel around. It will make a unique tow car, not your typical Honda
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:18 AM

Thanks. Will look forward to pics. Now with 6 posts how do I get out of the newbie forum?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Past Administrator

I installed the 455 in my '46 with the help from a friend. We fabricated boxes that simulated a stock crossmember which we bolted to the frame rails, then bolted the motor mounts to the boxes and the engine to the mounts. Left the bottoms of the boxes open to enable my hands and tools to get the bolts in. You would not have to do that if you use a modern front clip like Citcapp's. Also had to modify the radiator surround a little bit as I purchased an aftermarket radiator from Summit Racing. The opening is taller and narrower than the modern sizes. I think modern averages about 26" wide and 19" tall. Had to fabricate cross member for the transmission mount too, and modify the existing drive shaft, fits TH400 on one end and original axle on the other. Probably for a manual set up it will require a similar modification.
About the bumpers, it isn't un-heard-of to fabricate or modify a bumper from pieces by cutting/welding/grinding and then polishing before sending it off to be plated. I thought about this but kind of like the allowance for the vertical mini-bumpers which surround the license plate and house the lamps which illuminate the plate. In Missouri we have to have a front and back plate.
To your question, you just navigate there and post....
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the information Dan. I looked at your pics from the insurance man. Your 46 is a real sleeper. I have a long way to go but enjoy every day I get to play in my shop.
Jerry