Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

56 air cleaner suggestions

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2019, 08:54 PM

56 air cleaner suggestions

Hey All. I have a 56 Super 88 with the 4 bbl carb. Although I'm not 100% positive, I believe the stock air cleaner is the oil bath. I took it off recently and found quite a bit of rust inside. I bought the reproduction air cleaner with the paper filter you see all over the internet.

The repro does not fit directly, but you can get an inexpensive gasket that will fit quite well (I used Mr. Gasket # 2082). With the gasket, the repro fits right on top of the carb. However, the issue I see is that the repro cleaner sits lower and more forward than the stock cleaner. In other words, this means the side scoop is right behind the transmission/power steering fluid reservoir, which probably isn't ideal. I also have to keep it at a slight angle, or it will actually come into contact with the reservoir. Any thoughts or suggestions? I guess I can go back to the oil bath and figure out the rust situation, but would prefer the paper filter for convenience.

Old January 31st, 2019, 09:23 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You can discard the oil bath on your batwing air cleaner and use the top and the base with a paper element. That is what I did on my 54.
Old February 1st, 2019, 07:51 AM

X2 on the paper filter in the original top and bottom. I think you are over thinking the fiberglass unit though, it's doubtful the power steering location would hamper air flow to the point you would notice. Unless that angle you speak of is very noticeable I wouldn't worry about it..... Tedd
Old February 1st, 2019, 02:21 PM

Also you might be able to raze the height of the base by finding a thicker paper filter. I'm not sure about the new fiberglass unit but it works with the old original metal batwing units..... Tedd
Old February 1st, 2019, 03:35 PM
Frank Ignachuck

jcormier89:

I did exactly what you did about six years ago, including the gasket you describe, with the same results. I thought about gingerly taking off a little of the edge of the "batwing" so it would line up correctly, but after looking at it for a few years, I don't notice that it's a little skewed anymore.

And as mentioned, the slight reduction in airflow because of the obstruction has no effect at all.
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:39 PM

Thanks guys! The gasket came in cracked, so I'm waiting for a replacement. I'll try using the base that came the the repro and the original batwing. That seems like the most likely option. Then I can give the repro to my dad (GlennC on here). If not, I'll just go with the repro completely.

I'll keep y'all updated once the new gasket comes in.

As far as the repro goes, I was pretty surprised by the quality. Its definitely not as solid as the original (or as heavy), but it seems to be steel and not fiber. Bought from Speedway. Their customer service has been great handling the cracked gasket thus far as well.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:18 AM

Didn't know they are now made in steel, very interesting.... Tedd
Old February 24th, 2019, 03:57 AM

Air cleaner

I CUT MINE APART ON MY 56 324CI IT WAS MORE OF A DRY TYPE CLEANER THAN A WET I COULDNT SEE HOW YOU COULD EVER GET OIL INTO IT . SO ANYWAY I RETROED A DRY ELEMENT INTO THE OEM HOUSING SO IT IS OEM & EVERY THING STILL CLEARS THE CHOCK STAT ,& FUEL LINE . LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO SEE PICTURES .MY EMAIL IS mark.carol1997@gmail.com HOPE THIS HELPS ,MARK
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:11 AM

Would anybody here have the number and brand paper filter element that fits the batwing 1956 324. It would save me from trying to match one up. Also would I need the gasket that has been mentioned? I do not want to modify my original.
Thanks,
Rick
Old February 24th, 2019, 08:42 AM

Try Wix # 42088 I think that is what I ended up with. If it is to (the filter) tall your wing nut hold down will not clear the hood when you close it and dent your hood so watch it close the first time..... Tedd
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd, the 42088 is the filter I used in mine and made no modifications to the top or bottom of the air filter and did not change the stud. I remember taking the air filter into O'Reilly's and getting a filter to fit. Then I cut out the part number and put in my glove box.
Old February 24th, 2019, 12:49 PM

Thanks Tedd and Glenn! Glad to know no modifications need to be made.
Rick
Old February 24th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Rick, I have attached a link to a thread that was fun. It may not be for you but it was fun to do.

Glenn

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...luxe-88-a.html
Old February 24th, 2019, 02:56 PM

Glenn, I followed that thread, it was really neat!
Thanks,
Rick
Old February 25th, 2019, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by jcormier89
Hey All. I have a 56 Super 88 with the 4 bbl carb. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Though it destroyed "originality", I substituted an air cleaner from a 1964 Cadillac in my '55 Olds. It fit the 4GC perfectly, cleared everything, uses a fairly large paper element, and has a snorkel which allowed the use of a cold air intake. The cold air intake helps in a hot climate. In the summer it's not really "cold", but still a lot cooler than what comes through the radiator.
Old February 25th, 2019, 11:51 AM

On my 1955 Cadillac I removed the oil bath element from inside the air cleaner housing and installed a paper element. On so doing there was a gap between the top of the paper filter and the inside-top of the housing. I cut out a circular foam gasket ring to close that gap and was good to go!
Old February 25th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The Wix 42088 is tall enough you don't have to do that.
Old February 25th, 2019, 03:33 PM

My concern would be that in-line fuel filter, known to cause engine fires.
Old February 25th, 2019, 04:55 PM

Like Glenn said that number filter will seal without a gasket. If you have doubts put a dab of grease around the top and bottom and check if there are gaps or holes in the rubber seal that the grease would show.

Chris, I'm not sure what the air cleaner and the inline fuel filter would do to cause a fire danger more than what a leaky fuel filter would do by it's self. Just don't use that type of filter, put it down by the fuel pump and use the all metal canister type filter..... Tedd
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:28 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am not sure where the fuel filter issue came from on this thread. I do have one exactly like you mentioned Tedd and it is mounted down by the pump. Never use one of those glass ones that has the replaceable filter.
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:36 AM

I think they are still around because people can see the that you have fuel running through it and they like to check if there is still flow. I always thought that happened when the engine died..... Tedd
Old March 9th, 2019, 04:48 AM

The WIX 42088 Worked perfect ! Thanks Glenn and Tedd.
Rick
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:01 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Glad to help Rick. If you look at the bottom side of the lid to the Batwing air cleaner you will notice baffles that direct the air to an opening in the rear of the air cleaner. I took a cutoff tool and cut most of these baffles out so the engine would get more air. Probably didn't help at all but it made me feel better. Those baffles were probably put in there to make the thing quieter.
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Thanks Glenn, I will look into that suggestion..
Rick