Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

New waldron dual exhaust on 1959 Dynamic 88

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2019, 04:15 AM

New waldron dual exhaust on 1959 Dynamic 88

Hey folks,

finally, after almost 10 months waiting, my garage got the new Waldron dual exhaust installed. Its made of stainless steel and got resonators only, no mufflers.

Installation has been almost plug and play, they say. A little bit bending needed at passangers side. Drives side manifold fits perfect, some guessed, I would need another manifold, cause factory has been a single exhaust with crossover pipe.
Some said, manifolds are the same for single and dual.
Lastly I can proofe that. Heat riser stays in place but has no function in my case, I got an Edelbrock installed.

Short sound video is here, I'll make a better one with drive by later in spring. Until now we have too much salt on the streets to drive.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFBN...ature=youtu.be

Next step will be a complete new paintjob, next year maybe. The original paint is rusty on many spots. This car is in germany since 1959. One company boss imported it that days. So... rost is a problem but a good basis, anyway. Frame is in good condition.

Best regards from germany
Markus
Old January 31st, 2019, 05:05 AM

Prima!
Old January 31st, 2019, 04:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice. I put Waldron on my 54 and have been very pleased. I did not use their muffler but used Smitty's instead.
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:23 AM

Stranded today in heavy traffic .... problem has been the mechanical fuel pump. It's sucking the fuel and blows is back in idle. With higher rpm, its sucking more than blowing back but in traffc jam... well...

I think, after 60 years, the pump may be worn out. I choose to switch to electric pump now and let the old one in place just for vacuum. I'll not rebuild the old one.

Last edited by my2cents; February 17th, 2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 04:36 AM

Markus, if you install an electric fuel pump it needs to be mounted as close to the tank as possible. Electric pumps push fuel, if you mount it up front it will eventually burn out pulling the fuel from the tank. I also suggest you remove the old mechanical pump. It's only 2 bolts.
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:03 AM

Hey,

thanks for the advice. The pump goes in the back at the frame, I will pull the tank, clean it, eventually seal it and install a new sending unit and replace all rubber hoses, too. They are 60 years old and if I put 4-6 psi into, they will break, I guess. The steel lines look good, nothing to do there.
What I'll put in, is a relay for the pump, I think the ignition switch would burn, without.

I'll let the old pump in its place, cause the vacuum section still works and I need that for my heater switches.

Anyway, a pleasure to see you guys thinking twice. Help is always appreciated.

Best regards
Markus
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:05 AM

Glad Waldrons worked for you. Years ago also ordered a set for my 59 and one pipe was bent wrong where it goes thru the frame. When I called him he said that was not unusual and just take a torch with rosebud tip, heat it cherry red and bend it... like I have that setup on hand.... Then I called him to see about making a 66 88 resonator with offset tailpipe. I was holding a nos one in my hand as I was speaking to him. He told me there was no bend on the tailpipe and said the one I had was not factory.... I had the box as well and he did not want to hear what I had to say. I have written off Waldrons if nothing else for his poor attitude.
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:30 AM

Markus, I'm not familiar with the mechanical fuel pump on the older Oldsmobiles. My 71 98 just has an IN, an OUT and a RETURN. If you leave the old mechanical pump on the car the diaphragm may eventually fail and then you could pump fuel into your crankcase. It's been known to happen.
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:05 AM

Yes, don't get me wrong, I'll let in in place but not in the fuel System.

I'll just close the "in" and "out" with one short hose together, that no dirt can go in. I do not have a return line. Only thing to care about is fuel pressure. I need just 4-6 psi. Modern cars use ten times that and more.
I'll use a carter pump and see what happens. Somehow I like it original but ignition is already electronics and it just works without worries but that's useless without fuel. The modern electrical pumps are reliable, so... I go that step.
Somehow I like that it happens now, close to my house and not in summer, far away in the middle of nothing.