Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2019, 07:29 AM

Harmonic Balancer

Will I need to get a installation tool to install a Harmonic Balancer on my 1956 324. or will the bolt press it on.
Thanks
Rick
Old January 23rd, 2019, 07:56 AM

I've never used anything but the bolt, didn't know there was such a tool..... Tedd
Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:08 AM

Exclamation

NEVER use the bolt to install a harmonic balancer.

You could strip the threads from the crankshaft.

There is a tool that uses a bearing to remove the friction and makes the job simple.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...iABEgKptfD_BwE

Old January 23rd, 2019, 08:28 AM

Thanks Ted and My442- Is that link the correct tool for the 324?
Old January 23rd, 2019, 11:57 AM

May want to check your locate Auto Zone. I know ours had one as a loaner tool.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by My442
NEVER use the bolt to install a harmonic balancer.

You could strip the threads from the crankshaft.

There is a tool that uses a bearing to remove the friction and makes the job simple.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...iABEgKptfD_BwE
Oh yeah Right, I've done it hundreds of times... But now I am a believer! I did strip my crankshaft doing just that. I got a new bolt and tapped the crank and it's ok but it is damaged. So yeah, get a tool that will install it and don't use the bolt.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 02:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The balance on a 324 is not pressed on. You gently tap it on with a hammer and then put the bolt in and torque it. Not hearsay, I have done it.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
The balance on a 324 is not pressed on. You gently tap it on with a hammer and then put the bolt in and torque it. Not hearsay, I have done it.
Yup, you re right. Clean, oiled and started straight.
Old January 24th, 2019, 04:17 AM

Thanks All !
Rick
Old February 6th, 2019, 07:31 AM

I have a parts engine and I was going to remove the Harmonic Balancer to send out for a rebuild. I bought the tool kit to remove the balancer. Now I am uncertain how to proceed.. I removed the crankshaft bolt and expected to see holes for the puller bolts. No holes. Is this a two piece unit? Or is it a pulley with the harmonic balancer behind it? The manual is not clear on this. It says to use tool -J-6100 remove pulley from crankshaft. How do you guys get this off?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rick
Old February 6th, 2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by WHIPOLDS
I have a parts engine and I was going to remove the Harmonic Balancer to send out for a rebuild. I bought the tool kit to remove the balancer. Now I am uncertain how to proceed.. I removed the crankshaft bolt and expected to see holes for the puller bolts. No holes. Is this a two piece unit? Or is it a pulley with the harmonic balancer behind it? The manual is not clear on this. It says to use tool -J-6100 remove pulley from crankshaft. How do you guys get this off?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rick
The FIRST thing to do would be to get some penetrating oil worked in between the crankshaft and the harmonic balancer where they mate. If you can, rotate the crankshaft so the keyway is at the top. This will allow you to squirt penetrating oil in around the key to seep down. I would think a "3 fingered puller" (L shaped fingers that reach around the outside of the pulley) should remove it. Don't force it, it could be rusted together. Others may have good ideas with your type harmonic balancer. Be patient.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; February 6th, 2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: more info
Old February 6th, 2019, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=OLDSter Ralph;1152964]The FIRST thing to do would be to get some penetrating oil worked in between the crankshaft and the harmonic balancer where they mate. If you can, rotate the crankshaft so the keyway is at the top. This will allow you to squirt penetrating oil in around the key to seep down. I would think a "3 fingered puller" (L shaped fingers that reach around the outside of the pulley) should remove it. Don't force it, it could be rusted together. Others may have good ideas with your type harmonic balancer. Be patient.[/Q

Thanks for the reply! I did soak it with penetrating oil. The 3 jawed puller did the trick. I went very easy against the crank bolt , backed out the bolt as it came off. Hardly any pressure was needed. In an earlier post to install Redoldsman said it was not pressed on and he was correct, so installation should go ok. I just did not want to screw it up.
Thanks again
Rick
Old February 6th, 2019, 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=WHIPOLDS;1152968]
Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
The FIRST thing to do would be to get some penetrating oil worked in between the crankshaft and the harmonic balancer where they mate. If you can, rotate the crankshaft so the keyway is at the top. This will allow you to squirt penetrating oil in around the key to seep down. I would think a "3 fingered puller" (L shaped fingers that reach around the outside of the pulley) should remove it. Don't force it, it could be rusted together. Others may have good ideas with your type harmonic balancer. Be patient.[/Q

Thanks for the reply! I did soak it with penetrating oil. The 3 jawed puller did the trick. I went very easy against the crank bolt , backed out the bolt as it came off. Hardly any pressure was needed. In an earlier post to install Redoldsman said it was not pressed on and he was correct, so installation should go ok. I just did not want to screw it up.
Thanks again Rick
GOOD JOB !!!!! There are some pretty smart people on this site. Some scotch-brite to clean things up, wipe clean and oil makes a big difference.

Old February 6th, 2019, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=OLDSter Ralph;1152975]
Originally Posted by WHIPOLDS
GOOD JOB !!!!! There are some pretty smart people on this site. Some scotch-brite to clean things up, wipe clean and oil makes a big difference.
This site is amazing. First thing I do when stalled is go here. You have helped me a couple of times with great advise. I was searching rebuild services and was surprised at the difference in prices. High was $229 Middle was $173.00 and low was $95.00 - shipping extra on all .
Hope to get this done so I can set my timing.
THANKS AGAIN!
Rick

Old February 6th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I used Damper Dudes in California to rebuild mine and was very satisfied. I think Tedd used somebody else and was happy. So it becomes a matter of price.
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I used Damper Dudes in California to rebuild mine and was very satisfied. I think Tedd used somebody else and was happy. So it becomes a matter of price.
Damper Dudes is one of my choices. Good to know you were happy with their work.
Rick
Old February 7th, 2019, 08:15 AM

And I use Damper Dudes also, good people Only about 70 miles from my place and I go by there often.... Tedd
Old February 7th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
And I use Damper Dudes also, good people Only about 70 miles from my place and I go by there often.... Tedd
My damper is off to the Dude's. Thanks to you and Redoldsman for the recommendation. I would say that it should enjoy going to the west coast for some warm weather, but after reading Tedd's post it sounds as bad as here.
Rick
Old February 7th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Probably not as bad as Maryland or for sure not a lot of the mid west, I'm a bit of a whiner baby but cold and wet and snowy is not my style plus and I have to run with the tops up on my convertibles for another month. Poor me!

I called my buddy in South Dakota the other evening complaining about the weather and when I asked him about his conditions he replied that with the wind chill it was about - 30, shut me up. I think I have become a woos......Tedd
Old February 7th, 2019, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Probably not as bad as Maryland or for sure not a lot of the mid west, I'm a bit of a whiner baby but cold and wet and snowy is not my style plus and I have to run with the tops up on my convertibles for another month. Poor me!
I called my buddy in South Dakota the other evening complaining about the weather and when I asked him about his conditions he replied that with the wind chill it was about - 30, shut me up. I think I have become a woos......Tedd
Tedd, AH, South Dakota. That's in the "banana belt". It was -28 last week in Minneapolis/St. Paul. -57 in International Falls, Minnesota, on the Canadian border. I didn't pay attention to the wind chill, it didn't matter.
Stay warm and enjoy what you have out there. We do love our summers.

Old February 8th, 2019, 03:49 AM

The heater in my Olds works pretty good and I sometimes take it out in the winter. The worst part is all the salt and brine they put on the roads. I get tired of the snow because I have over a 1/4 mile driveway to clear. Sometimes it feels like I have given birth to a tractor seat.
Rick
Old February 8th, 2019, 08:38 AM

I have about 50- 60 yards to the main gravel road that gets plowed but I have no tractor to birth anything from. They don't salt the roads around here so winter drives are a common thing for me. if I can get down the driveway..... Tedd
Old February 22nd, 2019, 08:05 AM

Well I got the harmonic balancer back from Damper Dudes. They did a great job and a quick turn around. The core I sent them was off a parts engine and I was able to get that crankshaft bolt out with an impact. I just attempted to remove the crankshaft bolt from the engine in the car and the bolt will not budge. I have been soaking it with PB blaster. I tried using a strong arm bar but the engine is turning. Any tips on how to hold the crank from turning or breaking the bolt loose. I thought I would ask here before I screw anything up.
Thanks,
Rick
Old February 22nd, 2019, 09:18 AM

I finally got it off. Must have held impact for five minutes before it broke loose. Got the balancer off also.
Rick
Old February 22nd, 2019, 10:03 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Glad it worked for you Rick and glad we could help.

Glenn
Old February 22nd, 2019, 10:57 AM

Thanks Glenn,
I just got the rebuilt one back on. A little light oil and a couple of gentle taps with a rubber mallet and it seated. Your advise was spot on!
Rick