Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Oil and grease for 56 88

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2019, 05:19 AM

Oil and grease for 56 88

Morning All! Took delivery of my 1956 and it looks great in my cramped garage. Going through it now to get some basic maintenance out of the way, and need some advice on oil. I have experience with Lucas Oil in racing applications, but not in classics. Lucas puts out "HOT ROD & CLASSIC CAR 20W-50 MOTOR OIL" that purports to have the right levels of zinc, molybdenum and phosphorous to help with thicker additive film. I am also looking at Classic Car Motor Oil from D-A Lubricant Company that put the product together in conjunction with the Indiana Region of the Classic Car Club of America, and the write-ups that I've read are positive. Anyone have experience with these oils, or any other oils? Also, anyone have any advice on grease? Thanks!
Old January 20th, 2019, 05:27 AM
Administrator

I prefer oil I can pick up locally if I need it. Valvoline VR1 for street use (silver bottle) meets that requirement and is rated very well for our flat tappet engines. You can use normal change intervals with it. Amazon recently has been selling it extremely cheap and a lot of us have capitalized on it. Keep your eyes open for the sales.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...acing-oil.html
Old January 20th, 2019, 08:35 AM

I have ran Rotella T 20- 40 for years in my 55 and like it a lot. As of the last that I have found it still has over 1000 PPM of zinc and for me it doesn't weep/ leak past the cork gaskets like synthetic oils do in my car and it seems to keep my lifters nice and quiet. There are often multiple reasons why different oils are used in older cars not all of them are lubrication related.

You will find as many answers to this oil question as there are brands of oil and additives so hang on for multiple opinions.... Tedd
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Thanks Gents. Tedd, I did some more digging and the choices are seemingly endless just as you noted. I'm going to go with the Lucas Oil product simply because of my past experience with some of their other products...always high quality and never disappointed. Amazon has some decent pricing on it as well.