Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1953 lower control arm spacers

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2018, 09:56 PM

1953 lower control arm spacers

I have been puzzling over something that I hope someone can help answer. I have a 1953 Olds 98 and there are two spacers where the lower control arm shaft on the driver's side bolts to the front crossmember. There are none on the other control arm. Based on appearance, they look to be made of aluminum and original to the car or certainly have been on there a really long time. They are also stamped with an "E" in the middle. I can't find any information or listing on them in my shop manual, chassis parts book, master body parts book, motors repair manual, or other references I have. I can try to post pics later. Any ideas?
Old October 27th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Oh no, not again...

Could it be to correct a bad alignment due to a bent frame? I'm trying to follow your description, perhaps a photo would help if you can get one. Most shims were installed to correct alignment issues, if the car has a history of being in an accident they sometimes did that sort of thing to correct for a warp they couldn't straighten out.
Old October 30th, 2018, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the reply Nailheadcanuck. I considered a possible accident, but I have absolutely NO evidence of any crash, fixes, or other repair work on the car. As you can see from the pics, I have the car disassembled for a frame-on resurrection. I've taken numerous measurements of the frame, inspected all body panels, body mounts, fittings, etc and everything checks out. I also know some of the history of this car back to the original owner. The car is in amazing shape for its age and for spending its entire life in the midwest. It has been garaged most of its life. I recently took the front suspension components apart to check the lever-action shocks among other things leading up to replacing bushings and things and, again, I can't find anything out of measurement. The shims are shiny because I cleaned them. Maybe the shims were simply to adjust camber or something long ago? The car hasn't been driven since the late 1970s or early 80s.

Old October 30th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Oh no, not again...

That's usually what they would have used shims for, yes, to adjust the alignment of the front end. But, if a component was warped or different somehow, or maybe to compensate for a bad kingpin, I'm not sure. I'm also not seeing any pictures, I'm new to this site as well, maybe I missed something... where do you have them posted?
Usually you'd see shims stacked up level meaning the same on each bolt, rarely would there be just one stack on on side and not on the other. Interesting...
Old October 31st, 2018, 12:47 PM

Here are the pics that I thought had been uploaded in the last post.
Old October 31st, 2018, 07:21 PM
Oh no, not again...

Yeah, that's an awfully big shim; it's almost like there's an twist in there somehow. Mine certainly doesn't have that. Spring height and everything still checks out? I would have thought they would done a move like that on a manual steering car for help on the camber, - a quicker return on the wheel to centre in a turn, but not on a PS car. Interesting...or maybe to buck up a failing or loose idler...I don't know, but it's not factory, there's no rust and paint, it's a totally different metal.

At least I get to see what the power steering set up looks like, I'm looking for a set. Could I trouble you for a shot of the pitman arm and the draglink sometime?