Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Vehicle Lineup > Vintage Oldsmobiles
Hood to cowl weatherstrip seal? >

Hood to cowl weatherstrip seal?

Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Hood to cowl weatherstrip seal?

Old October 8th, 2018, 02:51 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Sporty45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NH Boonies
Posts: 347
Hood to cowl weatherstrip seal?

Can anyone tell me what they are using for a hood to cowl seal for the 46-48 Olds? I can't find anything online that resembles what I removed from my 47. Any pics?

I appreciate any help
Sporty45 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2018, 07:41 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
6262's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 29
I would appreciate any answer, because I would need one, too.

Last edited by 6262; October 9th, 2018 at 07:52 AM.
6262 is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 07:45 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Russ P in MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland outside the beltway
Posts: 130
No idea what that piece looks like, but see if this place has anything that would work:

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/


Russ P in MD is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 08:31 AM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Sporty45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NH Boonies
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by Russ P in MD View Post
No idea what that piece looks like, but see if this place has anything that would work:

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
Thanks, but nothing there that I could see
Sporty45 is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 12:26 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Russ P in MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland outside the beltway
Posts: 130
If you can post up a picture for anyone not familiar with those year cars, you might get additional feedback.
Russ P in MD is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 12:54 PM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Sporty45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NH Boonies
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by Russ P in MD View Post
If you can post up a picture for anyone not familiar with those year cars, you might get additional feedback.
If you are asking if I can post a picture of the weatherstrip I need I can't, as I have thrown what was left of mine away. It was all dried and brittle and just fell apart when I tried to remove it. I will recognize it when I see it, but can't help with a pic. Sorry
Sporty45 is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:07 PM
  #7  
Frank Ignachuck
 
ignachuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maynard, Massachusetts
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by Sporty45 View Post
If you are asking if I can post a picture of the weatherstrip I need I can't, as I have thrown what was left of mine away. It was all dried and brittle and just fell apart when I tried to remove it. I will recognize it when I see it, but can't help with a pic. Sorry
Russ means take a picture of where it goes on your car and that will help us find you a source for it.
ignachuck is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:22 PM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Sporty45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NH Boonies
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by ignachuck View Post
Russ means take a picture of where it goes on your car and that will help us find you a source for it.
The problem is that I can't find anyone that supplies the weatherstrip I need that is specifically for an Olds. I am looking for somebody that has run into the problem and has already discovered a solution. I know that the body is the same from the cowl back as a chevy of the same year, but they use a different type of seal, so a picture of the area is not going to show anything helpful. If you need a pic though, I have one posted in my build thread here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...bernation.html. It's in post #31
Sporty45 is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 02:38 PM
  #9  
Hookers under Hood
 
76olds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,510
I'm not sure about the older Oldsmobile years, but.. I took the hood to cowl weatherstripping off my 1976 Olds Cutlass to allow free flowing air through the top of my engine bay.
Does it help ??
I'm not sure , however, my mind tells me my engine bay is getting better air flow through the top than if I kept the weatherstripping in place.
Just my thoughts, I know it doesn't help with sourcing what your looking for.
Hopefully members with the early years will come through for you in your search !

Eric
76olds is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 02:47 PM
  #10  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Sporty45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NH Boonies
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by 76olds View Post
I'm not sure about the older Oldsmobile years, but.. I took the hood to cowl weatherstripping off my 1976 Olds Cutlass to allow free flowing air through the top of my engine bay.
Does it help ??
I'm not sure , however, my mind tells me my engine bay is getting better air flow through the top than if I kept the weatherstripping in place.
Just my thoughts, I know it doesn't help with sourcing what your looking for.
Hopefully members with the early years will come through for you in your search !

Eric
If it wasn't for that seal on the early stuff, I'm pretty sure that big hood would rattle against the cowl something awful!!
Sporty45 is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:06 PM
  #11  
Hookers under Hood
 
76olds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,510
Originally Posted by Sporty45 View Post
If it wasn't for that seal on the early stuff, I'm pretty sure that big hood would rattle against the cowl something awful!!
OK , My 76 has 5 rubber adjustable standoffs for keeping the hood from rattling. 3 at the back inside along the cowl and 2 up front on the outer limits of the rad cradle for adjusting.
Hope you find the proper weather stripping

Eric
76olds is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:49 PM
  #12  
Frank Ignachuck
 
ignachuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maynard, Massachusetts
Posts: 669
Have you tried contacting Steele Rubber Products https://www.steelerubber.com/ or Rubbertherightway https://www.rubbertherightway.com/
ignachuck is offline  
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:17 PM
  #13  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Sporty45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NH Boonies
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by ignachuck View Post
Have you tried contacting Steele Rubber Products https://www.steelerubber.com/ or Rubbertherightway https://www.rubbertherightway.com/
Steele Rubber has probably the closest looking thing I've seen. It's for a Pontiac, but looks correct for my Olds. I'll have to check the dimensions shown for the mounting stems and see how it lines up.

Sporty45 is offline  
Old October 11th, 2018, 01:10 PM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Sporty45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NH Boonies
Posts: 347
After measuring the hole pattern in my cowl I can see the above weatherstrip is not the same, bummer
Sporty45 is offline  
Old October 11th, 2018, 01:41 PM
  #15  
Registered User
 
Russ P in MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland outside the beltway
Posts: 130
Okay now I see it has built-in "plugs" every so far, to secure it to the panel. My only suggestion is that you may have to take a more generic weatherstrip with a similar profile, and 3M Super Weatherstrip it to the panel or, if remotely possible punch holes at the correct intervals and use some of those plastic push clips to secure it to the panel.
Russ P in MD is offline  
Old October 11th, 2018, 01:56 PM
  #16  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Sporty45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NH Boonies
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by Russ P in MD View Post
Okay now I see it has built-in "plugs" every so far, to secure it to the panel. My only suggestion is that you may have to take a more generic weatherstrip with a similar profile, and 3M Super Weatherstrip it to the panel or, if remotely possible punch holes at the correct intervals and use some of those plastic push clips to secure it to the panel.
You're probably right, but it's little things like this that drive me nuts working on an old car like the Olds. If it were a Chevy or Ford of the same vintage you could find lots of things not available for these cars. Oh well, that's what makes the Oldsmobile special, right?
Sporty45 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Sampson
General Discussion
8
July 18th, 2014 04:36 PM
jdana24
Body & Paint
3
December 18th, 2011 04:20 PM
brown7373
Cutlass
8
October 31st, 2011 07:56 PM
fleming442
Parts For Sale
0
October 13th, 2010 05:14 PM
sixty9olds
Body work
3
June 13th, 2009 08:34 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood to cowl weatherstrip seal?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.