Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Hood to cowl weatherstrip seal?

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2018, 02:51 PM

Hood to cowl weatherstrip seal?

Can anyone tell me what they are using for a hood to cowl seal for the 46-48 Olds? I can't find anything online that resembles what I removed from my 47. Any pics?

I appreciate any help
Old October 9th, 2018, 07:41 AM

I would appreciate any answer, because I would need one, too.

Last edited by 6262; October 9th, 2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old October 10th, 2018, 07:45 AM

No idea what that piece looks like, but see if this place has anything that would work:

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Old October 10th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Russ P in MD
No idea what that piece looks like, but see if this place has anything that would work:

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
Thanks, but nothing there that I could see
Old October 10th, 2018, 12:26 PM

If you can post up a picture for anyone not familiar with those year cars, you might get additional feedback.
Old October 10th, 2018, 12:54 PM

If you can post up a picture for anyone not familiar with those year cars, you might get additional feedback.
If you are asking if I can post a picture of the weatherstrip I need I can't, as I have thrown what was left of mine away. It was all dried and brittle and just fell apart when I tried to remove it. I will recognize it when I see it, but can't help with a pic. Sorry
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Sporty45
If you are asking if I can post a picture of the weatherstrip I need I can't, as I have thrown what was left of mine away. It was all dried and brittle and just fell apart when I tried to remove it. I will recognize it when I see it, but can't help with a pic. Sorry
Russ means take a picture of where it goes on your car and that will help us find you a source for it.
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Russ means take a picture of where it goes on your car and that will help us find you a source for it.
The problem is that I can't find anyone that supplies the weatherstrip I need that is specifically for an Olds. I am looking for somebody that has run into the problem and has already discovered a solution. I know that the body is the same from the cowl back as a chevy of the same year, but they use a different type of seal, so a picture of the area is not going to show anything helpful. If you need a pic though, I have one posted in my build thread here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...bernation.html. It's in post #31
Old October 10th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Hookers under Hood

I'm not sure about the older Oldsmobile years, but.. I took the hood to cowl weatherstripping off my 1976 Olds Cutlass to allow free flowing air through the top of my engine bay.
Does it help ??
I'm not sure , however, my mind tells me my engine bay is getting better air flow through the top than if I kept the weatherstripping in place.
Just my thoughts, I know it doesn't help with sourcing what your looking for.
Hopefully members with the early years will come through for you in your search !

Eric
Old October 10th, 2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I'm not sure about the older Oldsmobile years, but.. I took the hood to cowl weatherstripping off my 1976 Olds Cutlass to allow free flowing air through the top of my engine bay.
Does it help ??
I'm not sure , however, my mind tells me my engine bay is getting better air flow through the top than if I kept the weatherstripping in place.
Just my thoughts, I know it doesn't help with sourcing what your looking for.
Hopefully members with the early years will come through for you in your search !

Eric
If it wasn't for that seal on the early stuff, I'm pretty sure that big hood would rattle against the cowl something awful!!
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Sporty45
If it wasn't for that seal on the early stuff, I'm pretty sure that big hood would rattle against the cowl something awful!!
OK , My 76 has 5 rubber adjustable standoffs for keeping the hood from rattling. 3 at the back inside along the cowl and 2 up front on the outer limits of the rad cradle for adjusting.
Hope you find the proper weather stripping

Eric
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Have you tried contacting Steele Rubber Products https://www.steelerubber.com/ or Rubbertherightway https://www.rubbertherightway.com/
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Have you tried contacting Steele Rubber Products https://www.steelerubber.com/ or Rubbertherightway https://www.rubbertherightway.com/
Steele Rubber has probably the closest looking thing I've seen. It's for a Pontiac, but looks correct for my Olds. I'll have to check the dimensions shown for the mounting stems and see how it lines up.

Old October 11th, 2018, 01:10 PM

After measuring the hole pattern in my cowl I can see the above weatherstrip is not the same, bummer
Old October 11th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Okay now I see it has built-in "plugs" every so far, to secure it to the panel. My only suggestion is that you may have to take a more generic weatherstrip with a similar profile, and 3M Super Weatherstrip it to the panel or, if remotely possible punch holes at the correct intervals and use some of those plastic push clips to secure it to the panel.
Old October 11th, 2018, 01:56 PM

Okay now I see it has built-in "plugs" every so far, to secure it to the panel. My only suggestion is that you may have to take a more generic weatherstrip with a similar profile, and 3M Super Weatherstrip it to the panel or, if remotely possible punch holes at the correct intervals and use some of those plastic push clips to secure it to the panel.
You're probably right, but it's little things like this that drive me nuts working on an old car like the Olds. If it were a Chevy or Ford of the same vintage you could find lots of things not available for these cars. Oh well, that's what makes the Oldsmobile special, right?