Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Rebuilt Distributor for 1957 Super88

Old September 18th, 2018, 11:57 AM

Rebuilt Distributor for 1957 Super88

Just like my carb, I think my dizzy could use a rebuild. I noticed that the vac advance mechanism is physically not moving inside the distributor. Who knows what else it needs. It does run pretty good and I have installed a lobe sensing pertronix which works well but I do have some issues with hot starts (most likely carb related) and some hesitation, when accelerating from coasting, which may be carb or dizzy related or both.

Can anyone recommend a good source for a quality rebuilt distributor? Or is this something I should attempt myself? I have never rebuilt a distributor. What to look for?

Any tips much appreciated

Stefan
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Is the plate that the vac adv is mounted to froze or the advance itself? Have you tried to hook vacuum to it and see if it does actually move?
Old September 18th, 2018, 12:06 PM

The advance mechanism inside the dizzy does not move. So vacuum or no vacuum makes no difference.
Old September 18th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Remove the distributor, remove the Pertronix and vac advance can. Spray some penetrant in the pivot area and work it loose. Get moving freely, clean excess penetrant, lightly oil and reassemble parts, reinstall and set timing.
Old September 18th, 2018, 01:01 PM

Thanks Eric. Will do. Stefan
Old September 18th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Aviator View Post

Can anyone recommend a good source for a quality rebuilt distributor? Or is this something I should attempt myself? I have never rebuilt a distributor. What to look for?

Any tips much appreciated

Stefan
I had my distributor re-built by Everyday Performance in CT .
http://www.everyday-performance.com/
They did a nice job . And their service was prompt .
They replaced the bushings and they also re-curved it using a Sun distributor machine .

Throw that Pertronix as far as you can throw it , and put points back in it . Change them yearly , and you will never have a problem .
Unless you have the services of a machine shop , I would not recommend trying to rebuild a distributor

Last edited by Charlie Jones; September 18th, 2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:42 PM

If the advance doesn't move and there is air flow when you suck on the vacuum port the diaphragm has probably split or developed a leak/ hole and will need to be replaced. It is doubtful you could reseal the vacuum canister with out special tools to crimp it air tight.... Tedd
Old September 20th, 2018, 12:13 PM

Thanks Tedd. The advice mechanism appears to be mechanically stuck/froze so will probably need to do what Eric said. I will of course also check the vacuum canister and get a new one if needed.

Thanks Charlie, I have had good luck wth Pertronix in my VWs. I like the idea that I never have to deal with points again, often bad quality points these days. Having said that I do understand that the Pertronix can fail and I do carry a set of points and condenser in the glove box. The older Pertonix system with the magnetic ring would sometimes lose a magnet after a few years but I have the lobe sensing system so no ring and no magnets. I guess the electronics could still fail but I guess more often than not that doesn't happen. So for now the Pertronix stays in and I will be sure to report back if it gives me trouble.

Stefan

Last edited by Aviator; September 21st, 2018 at 03:32 AM.