Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Rebuilt Rochester 4GC

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2018, 11:52 AM

Rebuilt Rochester 4GC

Hello,

I think my 1957 Super88 could do with a carb rebuild or a rebuilt carb. It runs pretty good but I have no idea when the carb was last rebuilt and they usually have things wrong with them after long use, don't they. I have some hot starting issues as well as sometimes some hesitation and misses when accelerating after coasting. I also feel it runs pretty rich and there is some fuel smell under the hood. I realize that fuel lines will need checking and replacing swell. I am not sure I want to attempt the rebuild myself although I have found the carb manual online and rebuild kits are available. I don't have a lot of experience with carbs, not a lot of spare time and not much in the way of a workshop, tools etc.

I see that Fusick sell a rebuilt Rochester 4GC on eBay for a whopping 850 bucks minus 295 core charge. USApartssupply sell a rebuilt carb for 400 bucks plus 200 core charge. Any idea how these two offerings compare?

Any other sources for a quality rebuilt carb? What about http://www.thecarburetorshop.com ?

I want to spend as much as I have to for a quality rebuilt carb but obviously not more than I have to.

Any pointer most welcome.

Stefan
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:17 PM

I would not turn in the existing carb as a core for a remanufactured carb. I would send the original carb to a reputable rebuilder instead.
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:33 PM

I don't think ether company rebuilds their carbs in house so who ever rebuilds a carb one day may or may not rebuild the next carb the next day. You have not much to loose trying to do the rebuild yourself. A core is still a core before or after a rebuild. Just my 2 cents ... Tedd
Old September 18th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Oh no, not again...

If it was my carb I'd rebuild it myself, the reason being is because you know it worked. The biggest problem with "remanufactured" carbs is that no one is sure what the original problem that resulted in it being rejected was. No one ever writes what the problem with the carb was when they turn in a core. So all the rebuilders do is toss it in a bath, anodize it, and then throw a kit into it, something that most hobbyists can do themselves over a weekend. Oh sure, they claim to "inspect" it. Al I know is that in my 30 + years of fiddling with engines and carbs absolutely none of the "remans" I ever bought delivered as promised, they all had some underlying problem that I had to go in afterwards and correct. On one Ford pickup with a common Motocraft carb, I went through 9 returns before I got one that I could live with, and even it wasn't entirely trouble free. What I eventually did afterwards was go to the local wrecker and pull off as many original state Q-jets and 4GCs that I could find, and then rebuilt those myself as I needed them. My last experience with a supposed "professional" carb overhauler ended up with me getting stuck with a very rare and pretty Q-Jet off of a Nailhead that didn't work and cost me 3 fuel pumps. That thing cost me $600 to get done, (admittedly, it had stood on a wreck exposed to weather for 30 years when I took it) he promised to make it "like new", it looked new, but didn't idle, and the secondaries didn't work. I haven't opened it up yet, I'm still too disgusted to look at it.
Bottom line; try doing it yourself. A 4GC is more complex than a Carter AFB but not as complex as a Q-Jet. The key thing with a 4GC overhaul is getting the float adjustment right. Follow the directions and you'll be fine.
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:23 PM
Phantom Phixer

As I said in your other thread on the distributor , I have had good results with Everyday Performance ;
http://www.everyday-performance.com/index.htm
They are in Granby , CT . Only a short drive from East Windsor , CT , where Fusick headquarters are .
I wonder where Fusick gets their carbs re-built ??
If you do try to tackle it yourself ,this thread may be helpful .
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-4gc-carb.html

Last edited by Charlie Jones; September 18th, 2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old September 19th, 2018, 02:08 AM

Thanks Gentlemen, it looks like I may have myself a little project for the winter time. As suggested I think I'll attempt the rebuild myself given that I can still purchase a rebuilt carb later. All it will have cost me is a rebuilt kit and my time but I will have learned something new along the way. Thanks Charlie for the link. I'll bookmark them for later.
Old September 19th, 2018, 06:45 AM

If your carburetor is original to your car, then don't exchange it. If you want to try a rebuild, then keep your old core, and pay the core fee. You will be miles ahead keeping the old one. Many times, the carburetor that you will get will look identical on the outside, but it is what is in the inside that is important. GM made many different carburetors out of one casting. The differences are in how it is machined. If yours is original to your car, then you know that it was engineered for your engine. The one from the rebuilder might not be, which can cause you drivability issues. If you want to have it rebuilt, then send it to a reliable carburetor rebuilder. There are many of them out there, just finding one is somewhat of a problem. You can resolve this by checking some of the other car websites. I usually look for recommendations that are consistent on many different websites, or from people that I know. I have rebuilt many carburetors in the past, however, today, finding good quality rebuild kits, with leather accelerator pumps is getting to be difficult. If you decide to rebuild the carburetor yourself, take lots of pictures as you disassemble it, and use small containers to separate the specific parts, and label them. Also be careful when you remove any steel *****, not to get them mixed up... same with small springs. Put them together as a "matched" pair in a separate plastic bag. Use a pencil magnet to remove the *****, not turning the carburetor over, since they will all fall out at once. Before you start, read and familiarize yourself with all the parts, and label them with numbers that correspond to the pictures in the instruction drawings. Finally, always compare the old part with the new one in the kit, and if they are different, then stop and find out why. Many kits are generic, and the manufacturers feel that close enough is good enough. NOT SO!!! I have purchased kits from The Carburetor Shop (http://www.thecarburetorshop.com) and have been happy with them. I am certain that there are others that also sell quality parts, so ask others who they recommend.

Old September 20th, 2018, 08:00 AM
74 2.8L Capri

I had a very good experience with Don Monroe up in Washington, maybe Spokane area. He advertises carb rebuilds in NAOC newsletter. I'm on the road right now so don't have his contact info. He does not do email, so call or write. If you have access to an issue, he advertises in the services section in back.

He sent me a carb, and I sent him back my core. Immediate improvement in idle and off idle response. I didn't ask what he uses for an accelerator pump cup, but have not had any deterioration in 4 years of use in CA.

'55 Holiday-no post, 2 barrel

Last edited by DFitz; September 20th, 2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old September 20th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I know there are lots of good carb shops in the country. A lot of guys use Sparky's and I have never heard any complaints. I would also suggest getting a good kit and giving it a try yourself. Be sure and keep up with the little ball that will be in the bottom under the plunger. If it has been a long time since your carb was rebuilt the plunger has probably been ruined by the ethanol in todays gas. When you get a kit be sure it says ethanol proof. Do not get one of those old kits that has been laying on the shelf a long time. I have done the carb on my 54 which is pretty much the same. Not really a lot to it. I think you can do this and save a lot of money. Fusick is a good company but some of their prices get to be pretty much on the high side. You have been given good advice on keeping your carb on your car. Good luck with this and lit us know how you come out.
Old September 20th, 2018, 12:16 PM

Gentlemen, once again I really appreciate all your advise. Will keep my carb and attempt the rebuild myself probably in November. I'll be sure to report back.

Greetings from Heidelberg, Germany

Stefan
Old September 22nd, 2018, 06:52 PM

Send me a round trip ticket, and I will come there, and do the rebuild for you. I will even supply the kit, but you have to supply the beer...
Old September 22nd, 2018, 07:55 PM
Oh no, not again...

Ditto on the above comment, I'd be happy to go back to Heidelberg, but I'll do one better, Ich kann auch Deutsch sprechen!
Old September 25th, 2018, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aviator
Thanks Gentlemen, it looks like I may have myself a little project for the winter time. As suggested I think I'll attempt the rebuild myself given that I can still purchase a rebuilt carb later. All it will have cost me is a rebuilt kit and my time but I will have learned something new along the way. Thanks Charlie for the link. I'll bookmark them for later.
Here is a guide which will give a little info on doing the rebuild. It is based on my "first ever carb rebuild" of a Rochester 4-Jet on a 1955 Cadillac. Not a comprehensive authority, but a beginner's primer.

==> http://graylady.atwebpages.com/CarbRebuild.htm
Old October 7th, 2018, 03:23 AM

Gentlemen, thanks again for your help. Very nice page, Dave. Thanks for the link. To those offering to come fly over (on my dime) and do the rebuild for you. I'd love to be able to take you up on your offer but I suspect my finance minister might not be amused :-) Marc, this forum never ceases to surprise me. Not only is there such fantastic support available to folks like me, it's even available in German. What more could I possibly ask for ;-)
Old November 1st, 2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by DFitz
I had a very good experience with Don Monroe up in Washington, maybe Spokane area. He advertises carb rebuilds in NAOC newsletter. I'm on the road right now so don't have his contact info. He does not do email, so call or write. If you have access to an issue, he advertises in the services section in back.

He sent me a carb, and I sent him back my core. Immediate improvement in idle and off idle response. I didn't ask what he uses for an accelerator pump cup, but have not had any deterioration in 4 years of use in CA.

'55 Holiday-no post, 2 barrel
I have bought a rebuilt 2bbl for my '56 from Don and it works great. His phone number is 253-566-8488.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 12:22 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by tricordati
I have bought a rebuilt 2bbl for my '56 from Don and it works great. His phone number is 253-566-8488.
Agreed. Mine is still working well after about 4 years in the car.