Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Speedometer gear seal

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2018, 04:18 PM

Speedometer gear seal

I have a trans fluid leak at the speedo gear housing. All I can see is the gear shaft with a E clip holding it in. Later speedo gear housings I have dealt with have a seal there. Thinking this should have one too. Does anyone know where I can get a seal ? Maybe a part number that I can try at our local seal and bearing store. What about different fix? Thanks to all.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 04:23 PM

Is it leaking around the outside or from the shaft? I believe the shaft is sealed with an O-ring and I'm unsure if it replaceable. It might be easier to just replace the housing and/or the gear. I can see where its possible that the plastic shaft may wear over time, but I would think it more likely the internal seal has just worn out.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 04:58 PM

It appears to be coming out of the speedo cable nut. I think I had the housing out before it didn't have a outer seal on it. The big nut made on the housing appeared to have a machined surface on it.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 03:14 PM

I have something like what you are describing but I feel mine is probably coming from the shift shaft, hard to tell when the Old Lady's whole bottom is wet.
If I remember correctly there isn't a O ring on the speedo cable but there is on the inside of shift shaft are you sure it's not the shift shaft?.... Tedd
Old August 3rd, 2018, 05:55 PM

Tedd, I do have a small leak at the shift shaft. The big puddle , not a few drops, is coming from the speedo cable . The screw cap made on the cable I found to be cracked from being over tightened. It was leaking a bit before and I have drove it a few miles. I had really snugged it up and guess it took a bit for it to really start leaking. I have a cble on a parts car. Looks like a pain to install. Back to the shift shaft. Can I put a new oring on it from outside the trans or do I need to drop the pan? Thanks.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 06:00 PM

It's been years but as I remember correctly the pan has to come off.....Tedd