Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Carb linkage adjustment

Old May 6th, 2018, 03:50 PM

Carb linkage adjustment

Engine is in and almost ready to start. Can someone tell me how to adjust the bell crank that the throttle rod and kick down rod attach to. This is the one that bolts to the intake not the rear one on the head. It has a slotted piece with a set screw that it stops against. It is 3 duce set up if it matters. My Chilton book doesn't show anything. Pic might also be helpful. Thanks to all again.
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:20 AM

I can't help much on the picture or description of adjustment but if this is a J2 setup most of the adjustment would be on the center carb. The for and aft carbs are vacuum actuated to a large extent. If this is a progressive set up I have no idea..... Tedd
Old May 9th, 2018, 05:47 AM

It isn't covered in the 1957 Oldsmobile Shop Manual. Look in the 1958 Oldsmobile Shop Manual, pages 8-62 through 8-67. There is text, diagrams, & several photos.
It seems like it was covered in some other GM publications, but I don't have them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1957-Olds-J-2.jpg (61.5 KB, 18 views)
Old May 9th, 2018, 07:31 PM

carb linkage adjustment

Here is a pic of the part I need to know how to adjust. Don't really see why they put a stop screw here as there is a idle screw on the center carb. Also there is a spring I have that goes on this bell crank. The top of it goes in a hole. Does the bottom hook on the pin that the accelerator rod goes on? Am I missing something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0915.JPG (3.42 MB, 12 views)
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by graysuper88
Here is a pic of the part I need to know how to adjust. Don't really see why they put a stop screw here as there is a idle screw on the center carb. Also there is a spring I have that goes on this bell crank. The top of it goes in a hole. Does the bottom hook on the pin that the accelerator rod goes on? Am I missing something else?
The idle speed screw on the center carburetor is to control the idling speed of the engine. The linkage shown in your photo is the linkage between the carburetor and the transmission which controls the "kick-down" function. That is what the "stop screw" in your photo is for (called "G" in the manual). You're right about the spring. It goes between the hole on top and the groove in the pin retaining the "J" rod as designated in the shop manual. Adjustment is shown in the Hydramatic portion of the 1958 Oldsmobile shop manual on pages 3-81 through 3-85. To get a better understanding of how all this works, if you plan on keeping and using the car, you should get a copy or an original of the shop manual. There are drawings and photos. Since it's a 1957 you should probably buy the 1957 manual; but since some of the J-2 stuff didn't get into the 1957 manual, you should also get the 1958 edition. There may have also been a 1957 supplement to the shop manual to cover it. It may have also been in one of the "Guild" publications. When everything gets right it works well. When I was young I knew someone with a J-2 that could "chirp" the right rear in the kickdown mode.