Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Floor Pan Paint Colors

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2018, 06:28 PM

Floor Pan Paint Colors

What color were the floors and other hidden interior areas painted in 1956? We have a car that was originally all white, but will be going to a 2 tone scheme when we paint it.
Old April 11th, 2018, 06:18 AM

On my " 55 the only paint color on the floorboards was a 6-8" strip of lower body color
Just inside the door openings. The remainder of the floorboards had a flat clear coat directly over the original floorboards metal finish. This car still had the original factory carpet and the car had on 42,000 miles and had been garaged since new. Wish I had taken pictures ,because it was hard for me to realize how perfect it was after that many years. It had a slight overspray of green on the transmission tunnel also ,but very lightly.
I rebuilt the power booster and had that side of the carpet pulled back.
Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; April 11th, 2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Correction
Old April 11th, 2018, 08:48 AM

X2, but I didn't notice any clear coat, could have been there but deteriorated to the point that it didn't show up. My car had 77 thousand miles on it and a convertible and probably more abuse than Larry's.

I wouldn't worry much about it though I shot a coat of primer on everything but the only one that ever sees it is me,It's not a judged area if that is your concern... Tedd
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:53 AM

Yes, that's exactly what we were looking for and thanks to both of you. I cannot say we are overly worried about it, as the car will not be entirely original in any case, but we will paint the floors some color and it may as well be correct. Our first car is Citation Bronze on the lower body, which is remarkably hard to distinguish from rust. The second car is all Alcan White, and does show some evidence of white on the floor. We are planning to repaint the car in Tropical Green lower and retain the Alcan White upper (as if it had been S32-60) and the original 364 Custom trim (same as a Super 88 but in vinyl).
Old April 11th, 2018, 10:24 AM

It's possible that my floorboard didn't have any kind of clear coating on it but it looked just like new metal ,and I thought it would have tarnished some in almost 60 Years.
Larry