Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Help Identifying a Steering Wheel & Grill

Old January 18th, 2018, 07:40 PM

Help Identifying a Steering Wheel & Grill

steering wheel 2.jpgHello, I have 2 parts that I need help identifying. First is what looks like a restored steering wheel. I have attached photo's. I have searched everywhere trying to find this same steering wheel with no luck. The arrows or V's on the chrome remind me of Chevron's logo.
steering wheel 1.jpg

Second, is a grill that I believe is from a 1937 - 1938 Oldsmobile. Does anyone recognize this grill?
Olds grill 9.jpg
Olds grill 4.jpg
Olds grill 8.jpg

I appreciate any help that is provided. Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2018, 05:43 PM

37 I think. 38 had a curved lower end that followed body lines but othersise looked very similar.

Steering wheel appears to be 1937 vintage also. see link
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-193...129014735.html
The chevron shape on the steering wheel chrome were used on many Oldsmobile including the door handles and trunk handle of my '47 Convertible

I was able to make the identity by simply using Google search for 1937 Olds steering wheel and 1937 Olds grille. Suprising how much of that stuff is readily available.

Jerry

Last edited by 47 Convertible; January 21st, 2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add text
Old January 21st, 2018, 08:22 PM
Phantom Phixer

The grille is for a 1937 Oldsmobile six cylinder (F37) .

1937 Oldsmobile eights (L37 ) , had a different grille . Like this ;

Old January 21st, 2018, 08:42 PM
Phantom Phixer

That steering wheel was an optional accessory in 1937 . Standard was a black hard rubber wheel .
You are right , the steering wheel has been restored (not cheap ) .
They were originally covered by a very primitive plastic . ( One of the first plastic parts used on a car .)
Over the years , originals have shriveled up , cracked , turned brown , or completely disappeared .
Old January 21st, 2018, 09:17 PM

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for all of your help. The only other thing I am trying to figure out is if the grille is an original. I have seen where they made a replica, which can be pretty old too. I have searched this grille looking for any markings and don't think I see any. I would think that Oldsmobile had some sort of identification marked on their OEM parts.
As far as the steering wheel, well actually both parts, trust I exhausted all my search options before I asked my questions to you all. I still haven't been able to find a steering wheel with the arrows or V design like this one. I am going to take your word for it that it is what you all have said. As I do believe that these parts were being acquired to put together a 1937 Oldsmobile. (I also have the rack & pinion and some other parts that are identified as being for a "37 Olds") Those parts were purchased off of eBay in 1995.
23 years later, they're going back up for sale on eBay. I feel confident now that I have enough information to accurately describe these items.

Thank you so much. You guys are awesome!
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:50 AM

If you're going to sell put them on classifieds here. There are a few 37 owner/members that might be interested. Give them a couple of weeks to find the ad before going to eBay.
Jerry
Old January 22nd, 2018, 09:57 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
They were originally covered by a very primitive plastic . ( One of the first plastic parts used on a car .)
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that "primitive plastic" is Bakelite. Used on old tabletop radios, telephones and costume jewelry. And car parts like steering wheels into the late 50's.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:51 PM

Yes, it is bakelite. Put a little semichrome on a Q-tip, rub it on the plastic and if the Q-tip turns yellow, you have bakelite. Was going to try it on this restored steering wheel, as it looks like it is made from bakelite as well. Just haven't gotten around to it. Semichrome won't hurt the plastic.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
If you're going to sell put them on classifieds here. There are a few 37 owner/members that might be interested. Give them a couple of weeks to find the ad before going to eBay.
Jerry
Sounds like a good idea. I will do that.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 10:20 PM
Phantom Phixer

While looking through 1937 Pontiac literature , I discovered the name of the "primitive plastic " . It was Tenite ;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenite

I had a '37 Pontiac once , It had a similar "deluxe " wheel . By the early sixties when I got it , it was already brown , shriveled and cracked,
There are only a few people in this country that restore these wheels . I'm pretty sure they use modern plastic . ( Epoxy maybe ? )

Last edited by Charlie Jones; January 22nd, 2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old October 24th, 2019, 08:01 AM

steering wheel ID

Krissy,
I know your post is almost 2 years old. Your steering wheel is called a "banjo" wheel and was an Oldsmobile option specific to the 1937 model year only. If you are looking to sell it, please email me at: invpro@aol.com
Also, your grille is for a 1937 Oldsmobile F37 with 6 cylinder engine.