Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - Interior Help :)

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2017, 02:59 PM

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - Interior Help :)

Hello Everyone,

I joined this forum nearly a decade ago, looking to network with others with 1959 Oldsmobiles. Since then, a lot has changed in my life - except the fact that I have had this 1959 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible looming in the deep darkness of my workshop - for over 20 years now.

I am once again determined to finish this beautiful car. Nearly the only thing left to do is to get all the power windows and top operational and redo is the 3-tone Leather Interior. Years ago, I started to redo it in Vinyl - by my OCD would not let me complete it in that manner. Unfortunately, at that time - the original seat material was discarded.

I am in need to find someone who has factory interior or the specifications as to how I can determine the seat upholstery pattern, dimensions and widths of the stripes and so forth.

If anyone can help me, I would be appreciative. If you have a hardtop, or just some of the information - I am happy to gather any and all info.

I am also interested in recommendations to purchase the Leather and Vinyl.

Thank You,
Joe
Attached Images
File Type: png
1959.png (1.09 MB, 16 views)
Old December 8th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Phantom Phixer

Contact SMS fabrics;
https://www.smsautofabrics.com/
Give them the "trim" number from the Fisher Body tag on the firewall .
Request samples . They have original upholstery materials .
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:47 PM

Thanks Charlie. I appreciate your reply. I have samples of all the vinyl from SMS (they look great). I have not seen a leather sample so far. I am sure they are equally as decent.

Hopefully, I can find other owners to help get some layout dimensions to properly get things as close as I can to original styling.
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Phantom Phixer

You might try looking at original auto sales literature for 59 Oldsmobiles .
I know of a 56 Olds where the original material was thrown away .
The upholsterer was able to make seats using only sales literature for patterns.
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
You might try looking at original auto sales literature for 59 Oldsmobiles .
I know of a 56 Olds where the original material was thrown away .
The upholsterer was able to make seats using only sales literature for patterns.
Yes, this is what we are working from right now. I am guessing that the center white color section is 10" wide, the thin silver metallic stipes are 1.5 wide, and the charcoal wider insert stripes are 3.75" wide.

I'm hoping to find someone with a seat, tape measure and a camera to help solve a few mystery areas - such as side of front seat width and upper radius, the seat back measurements from the bottom up to where the horizontal metallic stripes start. And a few other areas for stitching and details.
Old December 9th, 2017, 05:34 AM

The redone seats for my 59 98 vert are sitting in my bedroom as they have been for at least 20 years.... The main parts are leather and the small accent strip vinyl from the factory. I can get some measurements for you and picts if you like....
Old December 9th, 2017, 06:43 AM

Thank you for responding! I would be very happy to work with you to get some photos and measurements.

Seems like my car and your seats should have met 20 years ago.
Old December 10th, 2017, 04:57 AM

Just need a little time, pictures soon...
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:33 AM

A couple of pictures, let me know if you need measurements. the small accent strip is 1.25 inches wide....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG5067.JPG (2.05 MB, 10 views)
CIMG5074.JPG (1.87 MB, 5 views)
CIMG5075.JPG (1.91 MB, 9 views)
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:46 PM

Your seats look great.

Here are the measurements I am looking for - to get started:

- Black Seat Inlay Pleat - Width (each)
- Front Seat Lower - Width of Center White Section
- Front Seat Upper Side View- Depth of the Seat Side - from front edge to back
- Back of Front Seat Uppers - Distance from top of seat to beginning of the Horizontal Accent Stripe and the width of that horizontal stripe. (0r the bottom of the upper section of the front seat - from the bottom to the bottom of the accent stripe)
- Rear Seat upper around rear speaker - Width from where the speaker mounts to the where it meets the main seat upholstery.

I am very appreciative of your time.
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:59 PM

I will need some time, note these seat covers were custom made from originals. I assume depending on amount of padding the actual dimensions may vary some. The style and size of the pleating and ribbing is as original. Original patterns were used from the old seat covers. If one were to get the sizes of the center dark pieces and small accent piece the white part will fall into place as the rest is white if you know what i am saying. Will post soon...
Old December 17th, 2017, 04:59 AM

A few more measurements, the back seat bottom dark panels are around 3.5 inches wide each, some vary by an 8th of an inch or so. This measurement is the same for all seats. As said the small accent strip is 1.25 inches throughout. The center white area is 10 inches on the back seat bottom. The white on the top section is 9.5 inches. The speaker grill area is centered within the seat and the leather is also centered. The front seat bottom center white is also 10 inches with the colored panels measuring the same as already said. Please email me if you need something else at j.blusnavage@att.net
Old July 24th, 2018, 01:11 AM

Hi!

not sure if this could be of interest to you, but I have a complete and very nice shape front seat from a 59 98 convertible with original red black and white leather in very good shape on it. Let me know if you need anything, I have a hardtop with a green interior so this is just an extra part for me, and it is too nice to reupholster.