Any 1950 88 Owners in UK? Petrol & Additive Ques. - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 9th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Oldslincs

Any 1950 88 Owners in UK? Petrol & Additive Ques.

Are there any Rocket Olds 88 owners out there in the UK? If so, can you recommend a fuel and additive combination for my 1950 Rocket-88 four-door sedan please? It has an original engine with just over 50,000 miles on the clock. I have a re-printed owner manual with the Olds and it states that the 'Rocket Eight Cylinder Engine is designed to take full advantage of the anti-knock qualities of the best premium fuels commercially available and will not operate satisfactorily on regular gasoline'

I asked my local car-service guy and he recommended the following combination of:He has a lot of experience with classic UK vehicles and track-day cars, as well as regular vehicles, but said that although the above combination has worked very well in older vehicles he's serviced, nothing beats asking owners of the vehicles themselves for their recommendation and experience, which is what I'm doing with this post. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've read lots of other posts on fuel and additive combinations for my model and year of Olds, but even where the name of the gasoline seems to be the same in the US as in the UK, I've read that the specification can differ from country to country. The brands of lead replacements are quite different, as well, as would be expected.
Oldslincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #2

Ron to mon rating can be 8-12 less, so your 99 can be as low as 87 in the states. Do you guys have an Octane fuel thats higher? We in the states have a 93 mon.
oldcutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Oldslincs

Thanks for the info' Eric - and wow - I never knew about the difference in octane levels between different codes RON to MON. I'm on a fast learning curve on this at the moment, and a reference to this on Wikipedia confirms your forecast- as below. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane...28R.2BM.29.2F2

Info' from Wikipedia:- Tesco Momentum available in UK: RON 99; MON 87; AKI 93

The Tesco Momentum that we get over here is equivalent to the Shell V-Power, and both are 12 points lower in Octane level on the MON scale than the RON level; the AKI being the average of the two. As far as I know, the Tesco brand at 99 RON is the highest we can get over here. What kind of Anti-Knock Index level do you feel would be needed for my Rocket Olds to run ok?

Last edited by Oldslincs; October 9th, 2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Gary

In the late 1950s, Texaco Premium had 90 octane (RON)

RON in 1950 would not have been higher than that and was probably lower.

Therefore RON of 90 would be risk-free to run in a 1950 Olds V8.

Looking at this from first principles, the compression ratio of that car is 7.25:1; it would be difficult to buy modern gas with low enough octane rating to cause pre-ignition in that engine.
VC455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC455 View Post
In the late 1950s, Texaco Premium had 90 octane (RON)

RON in 1950 would not have been higher than that and was probably lower.

Therefore RON of 90 would be risk-free to run in a 1950 Olds V8.

Looking at this from first principles, the compression ratio of that car is 7.25:1; it would be difficult to buy modern gas with low enough octane rating to cause pre-ignition in that engine.
As stated above low octane will not be a problem. I run 87 in mine all the time with never a issue with ping and your engine is lower in compression than mine..... Tedd
Tedd Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #6

Didn't realize his compression was that low.
oldcutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Oldslincs

Many thanks for your comments guys. You've put my mind at rest about the question of fuel grade. I really appreciate it. .
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:18 AM   #8
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You might find your engine will be fine with the cheapest supermarket petrol (gas to most of you colonials ) you can find. Tescos or Sainsburys regular should be fine.
If you don't do many miles per year and don't have a heavy right foot you probably don't need lead additive either.
A friend ran his 1959 Cadillac for years on regular unleaded, and that had a much higher compression ratio than your engine. No problems with valve seat recession either.

Try it, if it knocks upgrade to super, but I don't think you will find any need.

Roger.
rustyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #9

As far as the valves lead in gas issue I have been running a engine for years (SBC) with pump gas with no problems. This is a 300 hp high compression engine. I think this problem is much over blown.... Tedd
Tedd Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #10
Oldslincs

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm relieved to hear that my Olds will run on standard petrol. It's not the extra cost of super-premium fuel as such - although it can be quite a bit more expensive over here, I was more worried that even the highest grade in the UK might still cause valve seat problems and engine-knock, which could stress the engine.

Your advice is also in line with what other people are saying in other places the net, as I read more about the subject. I wasn't planning on doing any extra-long journeys or to give the engine a hard life in any way, so I know from what you and other people are saying, that's this is also going to keep the Olds happy.
Old October 13th, 2017, 05:18 AM   #11

As everyone notes, you will likely have no difficulty. You can gradually work toward lower octane. If it gets too low the engine will let you know, usually by knocking under acceleration. If it does just raise it up a bit.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote