Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Need advise on engine removal

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:04 PM

Need advise on engine removal

Back to working on my '57 for a bit. I have everything loose on the engine, except the exhaust, to lift it out. As I removed the upper bell housing bolts I was looking at the way it has to come apart, since the upper bell housing is part of the block casting, and started to think I made a mistake by not pulling engine and trans as a unit. The only info I found was in a old Motor manual. All it said was remove all front end sheet metal then remove engine. I did not remove sheet metal. Not to concerned about getting it out but think it may be a bear to line up going back. Thanks to all for your advise.
Old October 4th, 2017, 07:35 AM

If you leave the transmission in you will have to drop the bottom cover and starter and remove the 28 or 30 bolts that attach the flex plate.Some rotation of the crank will be necessary to access all the bolts. I have found it easier for me to pull the engine and trans together and address the multitude of bolts while the engine is on the ground. You will have to remove the radiator and supports to make this easier..... Tedd
Old October 16th, 2017, 07:47 PM

Couple things to make it easier to remove engine and transmission together. Once everything is disconnected underneath, put blocks under rear tires and lower front tire pressure to lower front of car. Will not have to raise all that weight as high to remove. Think it's easier to take both out together.
Old October 17th, 2017, 06:11 AM

And one other disadvantage of removing the engine and leaving the trans is that you will have to support the transmission somehow ,jack, blocks or what ever and now you can't move the car till you put it all together again..... Tedd
Old October 17th, 2017, 08:07 AM

Quick but wrong way

https://m.imgur.com/t/funny/W6L1yMp
Old October 17th, 2017, 08:28 AM

If there's the slightest chance the trans needs work, now is a good time to look into it if the budget allows. MAW category item to save removing it later to work on it. I did mine and it turned out it did need work. Then I put them back in together.
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:29 AM

If you are pulling the engine &transmission you might want to add extra weight to your picker for safety. I have a pair of J Heads, top has exhaust manifold still on it, for added counter balance. I've pull engine and transmission on 71-76 B/C bodies that have long front end using a lengthened picker boom arm, without any issues.
Old October 17th, 2017, 02:13 PM

that's as useful as a j head can be.
Old October 17th, 2017, 06:01 PM

Ya, on the j heads,but that is good information on watching the weight and balance, first generation Olds engine and transmission has to weigh somewhere in the 700 lb range when hooked together.... Tedd
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Ya, on the j heads,but that is good information on watching the weight and balance, first generation Olds engine and transmission has to weigh somewhere in the 700 lb range when hooked together.... Tedd
No Tedd , first generation Olds engine weighs more than 700 lbs by itself .
Cast iron trans weighs more than 200 lbs .