Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

56 Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Dan

56 Fuel pump

Hi, I have a 57 Super 88 and I would like to get into the fuel pump and service it. My shop manual says if it has a glass bowl which it does, it's a 56 model pump and I should refer to the 56 shop manual. I hate to have to buy another whole manual just for the few pages I need. Would anyone consider sending me just the 56 fuel pump pages out of the shop manual? Dan
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ArDan5s7
Hi, I have a 57 Super 88 and I would like to get into the fuel pump and service it. My shop manual says if it has a glass bowl which it does, it's a 56 model pump and I should refer to the 56 shop manual. I hate to have to buy another whole manual just for the few pages I need. Would anyone consider sending me just the 56 fuel pump pages out of the shop manual? Dan
The glass bowl pump (part # 5593934) was used on all cars from 1955-1956, and some cars 1957-1958. There really isn't much difference between the pumps. The glass bowl version has an air dome in place of the pulsator diaphragm and a strainer or filter in the glass bowl. In my opinion the glass bowl is the better one. You could probably proceed with the instructions for the pulsator version and just account for the differences. If I can coax my scanner into working I'll send the other one along. There are 8 pages on the '56 pump.
Old September 10th, 2017, 04:33 PM

Old September 10th, 2017, 05:02 PM

This you tube link is for a 55 Buick but almost the same as Oldsmobile if you do better with a video over pictures and script. I think it is the one I used when I rebuilt my pump.... Tedd
Old September 10th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Dan

Wow, thank you for the quick response! My 57 started dying out and I thought it was vapor lock but I think I have ruled that out. I checked the glass bowl and noticed 1) It has no filter in it and 2) It has a bunch of debris collected on the bottom including what looks like small metal shavings. I had a new gas tank installed recently and I'm wondering if it's coming from there. I didn't think to ask the mechanic if he installed a new filter on the end of the siphon tube in the tank. The previous owner installed an in line filter between the pump and the carb and it was clean a whistle when I checked it so I think the problem is at the pump which might be filled with junk. My plan: clean out the bowl, install a filter in the bowl like original (O'Reilly's has them) and eventually get rid of the in line filter once I know the pump is clean. Oh, and make sure there is a filter on the tank siphon tube. I appreciate you taking the time to send me the pages. Thanks again. Dan
Old September 10th, 2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ArDan5s7
Wow, thank you for the quick response! My 57 started dying out and I thought it was vapor lock but I think I have ruled that out. I checked the glass bowl and noticed 1) It has no filter in it and 2) It has a bunch of debris collected on the bottom including what looks like small metal shavings. I had a new gas tank installed recently and I'm wondering if it's coming from there. I didn't think to ask the mechanic if he installed a new filter on the end of the siphon tube in the tank. The previous owner installed an in line filter between the pump and the carb and it was clean a whistle when I checked it so I think the problem is at the pump which might be filled with junk. My plan: clean out the bowl, install a filter in the bowl like original (O'Reilly's has them) and eventually get rid of the in line filter once I know the pump is clean. Oh, and make sure there is a filter on the tank siphon tube. I appreciate you taking the time to send me the pages. Thanks again. Dan
Many of the glass bowl pumps typically came with a screen or strainer at the top of the glass. It's hard to say where the debris came from. If any of it lodged in one of the pump's valves that could account for diminished pumping capacity. Sometime those "sock" strainers in the tank will disintegrate and cause problems with loose pieces. While there was originally a filter which would fit in the glass bowl, be careful as some of the aftermarkets don't fit. It's best to carry the pump with you when you look for one. Also be careful with the pick-up in the tank. Many Oldsmobiles in the 1950s would "run out' of fuel with 3-4 gallons left in the tank. Perhaps the mechanic resolved this when he worked on it.
Old September 10th, 2017, 08:02 PM

And if mine I would leave the inline filter where it is. There isn't much reason to remove it and if you have issues with junk in the fuel line or tank added filtering doesn't hurt a thing. You might want to remove that filter and check see if there is anything coming up stream of that. Makes me wonder how the glass filter had stuff in it and how did it get through the inline filter.. Tedd