Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1956 new generator

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2017, 05:52 AM

1956 new generator

Hi,
my old generator is broken. Any idea which one fits? The broken one is a Delco Remey Model 1102063 12 V/30 Amp - No power steering, no aircondition.

I pointed out a WILSON HD ROTATING ELEC #92-01-3002, but I am not sure about the dimension of mounting bracket.

Thank you for answer, best regards!
Old June 9th, 2017, 06:53 AM

I have had a FEW Wilson generators on my 55, should be the same as a 56. Fit was fine but at least three failed soon after in stallion. One was dead on arrival. I'm running one now but have been holding my breath for about a year, so far so good.

My advise would be to get your original generator rebuilt. Don't throw away your original cores are getting hard find in my area.... Best of luck ...Tedd
Old June 9th, 2017, 01:14 PM

X2 what Tedd said. The "Rebuild" process in big shops can be eye opening and not for the weak of heart.
I went through a period of time with an 80s Olds where I must have replaced the alternator at least four times in a year or so. Rebuilts were from NAPA and they stood behind them and replaced the part. I don't know where NAPA got their rebuilts but imagine it was from one of the companies that rebuild hundreds if not thousands of alternators and starters. I made the mistake of buying a rebuilt starter for the 455 I put in my 47 to save some $. It lasted about 40 starts and wound up smoking up the underside of my hood before I even got the car on the road. The tag on it said NAPA and "Rebuilt and tested in China." I set the rebuilt but burned up starter on the work bench and bought a new mini starter from Summit along with a heat shield. A dozen or so startups since then and all is good so far.

If you go to a reliable, local auto electric shop they will rebuild Your starter and you will get Your starter back from them with quality new parts and quality repairs where needed. They won't be picking salvaged parts out of large bins to put together a 'rebuilt' which is how the large volume rebuilders are reputed to rebuild.
Jerry
Old June 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Administrator

X3 on rebuilding your generator. you can probably do this yourself. There are many youtube videos and the parts are relatively inexpensive. As said above you can also bring it to a place that rebuilds them.
Old June 10th, 2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Yamakoshi
Hi,
my old generator is broken. Any idea which one fits? The broken one is a Delco Remey Model 1102063 12 V/30 Amp - No power steering, no aircondition.

I pointed out a WILSON HD ROTATING ELEC #92-01-3002, but I am not sure about the dimension of mounting bracket.

Thank you for answer, best regards!
Oldsmobile used the same part number from 1953-1956. Many 30 Amp Delco generators of the era will interchange, but if originality is important I agree that you should rebuild yours. Sometime the "broken" part is not serious. Pages 13-10 through 13-12 of the 1956 Oldsmobile Shop Manual shows the cleaning, inspection, and repair procedure with photos. After installing remember the "polarizing" procedure.
Old June 12th, 2017, 10:07 PM

Thank you all for your advice to rebuild the generator. I find in my hometown a smal shop specialized in rebuild classic cars generators and starters. I will keep my car original.
Best regards
Old June 12th, 2017, 11:26 PM

You did the right thing by following up and letting those who provided good advice know you found it helpful. Not only will you get a better performing generator but you will help keep a small business functioning.

Jerry