Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

need 46 coupe assembly help

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2017, 11:47 PM

Post need 46 coupe assembly help

I purchased a 46 coupe "project" in a thousand pieces.Body was off and frame has 69 Nova front clip, my problem is that I don't know how to assemble the front end of the car I really could use some pics of front sheet metal so I can also figure out what's missing.
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I moved your question to the Vintage Olds forum.
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Suggestions and photos

Originally Posted by rennerbird
I purchased a 46 coupe "project" in a thousand pieces.Body was off and frame has 69 Nova front clip, my problem is that I don't know how to assemble the front end of the car I really could use some pics of front sheet metal so I can also figure out what's missing.

Only a thousand pieces? Should be a piece of cake Just kidding.
Mine was mostly there and I saved a few before photos that show part of the front clip. They are thumbnails below.

In addition Faxon Auto Literature has reproduced a couple of Olds manuals that should be some help. They can be purchased from Faxton or may be found on Ebay. Thumbnails below.

Post some photos of what you bought. We all like to see photos even if its a project in a thousand pieces.

There is a frame cross member that the core support attaches to. One of my photos shows this. You have to get the measurement from your firewall to the cross member and core support to even begin to be able to attach a cross member and the radiator and fender core support. Pretty much everything else aligns to those.

With your different front frame clip you will need to get that measurement from firewall to the cross member that the core support bolts to, from a factory original car and then translate that to your Nova front clip. You will likely need to fabricate that cross member.

Other parts are inner fenders, outer fenders, hood and hood hinge assembly, hood latch plate and latch assembly, piece/plate in front of and below the radiator. And there are more that I can't recall now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
master chassis parts book.jpg (628.8 KB, 14 views)
Body Manual by Faxon.jpg (563.3 KB, 15 views)
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:05 PM

Assembly help.

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible

Only a thousand pieces? Should be a piece of cake Just kidding.
Mine was mostly there and I saved a few before photos that show part of the front clip. They are thumbnails below.

In addition Faxon Auto Literature has reproduced a couple of Olds manuals that should be some help. They can be purchased from Faxton or may be found on Ebay. Thumbnails below.

Post some photos of what you bought. We all like to see photos even if its a project in a thousand pieces.

There is a frame cross member that the core support attaches to. One of my photos shows this. You have to get the measurement from your firewall to the cross member and core support to even begin to be able to attach a cross member and the radiator and fender core support. Pretty much everything else aligns to those.

With your different front frame clip you will need to get that measurement from firewall to the cross member that the core support bolts to, from a factory original car and then translate that to your Nova front clip. You will likely need to fabricate that cross member.

Other parts are inner fenders, outer fenders, hood and hood hinge assembly, hood latch plate and latch assembly, piece/plate in front of and below the radiator. And there are more that I can't recall now.
Thank you for the information and pics they will be a great help.I had a general idea but was pretty sure there were parts missing. ...I was right.
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:13 AM

Is the frame modified to accept the Olds sheet metal? I did a 69 Camaro swap on my 47 Chevy, very similar. I had to weld in a piece of tubing across the Camaro frame, to mount the stock radiator support. I also had to weld in 2 x 3's onto the bottom of the Camaro frame, to mount the bumper. Does your frame swap have there?