Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

53 valve covers

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:38 AM

53 valve covers

Anyone know what shade of yellow for valve cover writing on 53 303 cu"?
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:07 AM

The product One Shot Lettering Enamel #130 L primrose yellow is a dead ringer for the yellow on the valve covers. You can find it at most any good automotive paint store. If you find a paint that matches the green let us know.... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; February 2nd, 2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:05 PM

Tedd,have you seen any that used the recommended Green engine enamel from Bill Hersche. I think that is where the engine enamel that was used on my car,before I bought it and that was 10+ years
Ago. I believe it's listed as Oldsmobile Late Green (1949- '1956 ) and sells for $39 a quart. Good luck ,Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (138.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; February 2nd, 2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I used the Hirsch enamel in my 54 and really liked it. Fusick has spray cans of the correct green which I found to be very close. They also have decals you can put on your valve covers that are the correct color. I used those on my 54. Believe it or not but the letters on the valve covers were originally painted with a roller.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:21 AM

Redoldsman,I think I heard somewhere that the lettering was done with a roller,and I found that hard to believe ,until last Christmas I was at the local Mc Donald's when a sign painter was painting a Christmas scene on their windows.
I watched him paint a Christmas tree with a small (1") roller. He even did small details like the branches by tilting the roller to make very fine lines for detail. Larry
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:40 AM

Guys thanks for the Bill Hersche tip, I should have remembered that. Do you know if a hardener can be added to their products?.... Tedd
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Larry - that info about the roller came from a good source. When you think about it, it makes sense. They sure as heck didn't have time to handpaint them. I imagine the roller was not one of the fluffy kind we use to paint our walls with.

Tedd - you are welcome. I have no idea about adding hardner. It is high temp engine paint and if I remember it dries pretty quick. I am curious why you would want to add hardner. Give Hirsch a call maybe.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Larry - that info about the roller came from a good source. When you think about it, it makes sense. They sure as heck didn't have time to handpaint them. I imagine the roller was not one of the fluffy kind we use to paint our walls with.

Tedd - you are welcome. I have no idea about adding hardner. It is high temp engine paint and if I remember it dries pretty quick. I am curious why you would want to add hardner. Give Hirsch a call maybe.
If it will except a hardner the paint will hold it's gloss much longer and it helps with the ability to resist gas spillage problems(won't soften as fast).Something that can be important on a old carbed engine....Tedd