Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Looking at a 1956 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Always room for one more

Looking at a 1956 Super 88

Hi everyone.

Wondered if anyone could give me a few pointers on what to look for when viewing a '56 Super 88.

Is there a decoder that will tell me what the data plate info is saying? Are there particular areas that are prone to rust?

I've been trying to study up on the differences of the Super and the regular 88. This car I've only seen in pictures, and it looks like it has Super trim on the outside, but a standard interior. Any sure-fire ways to tell one way or another?

Thanks everyone.
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Wondered if anyone could give me a few pointers on what to look for when viewing a '56 Super 88.

Is there a decoder that will tell me what the data plate info is saying? Are there particular areas that are prone to rust?

I've been trying to study up on the differences of the Super and the regular 88. This car I've only seen in pictures, and it looks like it has Super trim on the outside, but a standard interior. Any sure-fire ways to tell one way or another?

Thanks everyone.
There are a lot of not always in this answer because a person could take a regular 88 and add just about anything you would want special order or omit something on a super... That being said generally supers came with 4bbl's,chrome rocker moldings trim, Power steering and brakes, had wheel skirts and had the attachments for wheel skirts already welded in which weren't on regular 88's also midway through the 56 year they came with a Jet-away rather than a Slant pan transmission. I have never seen a post car 88 with a Jet-away but others have told me they are out there so maybe that's bogas also. Supers added chrome on interior headliner strips and front fenders were marked with a 88 circled with a chrome ring regular 88's just had chrome 88's no ring. Supers had more options in the fabrics that could be ordered including leather that wasn't viable in regular 88's. All convertibles were supers but I don't think that is a issue here. Others will probably have a few additional items, I'm a little brain dead tonight from travel and know I'm missing something ..... Tedd
Old November 28th, 2016, 02:50 AM
Frank Ignachuck

As Tedd noted, there are a lot of not always on all 56's, and you could add or delete just about anything, including heat, but the first thing to look for on a Super 88 is "88" circled in chrome on the front fenders. Super 88's had full hubcaps standard, regular 88's had dog dish. Super 88's came standard with a 4bbl. carb, boosting the hp to 240. Dual exhaust and jetaway were optional. There were no chrome rocker panel moldings on any 56. My Super 88 does not have chrome headliner strips. The 56 sales brochure doesn't show any models with skirts, and mine has no provisions for skirts.
Old November 28th, 2016, 09:56 AM

If you have a service manual, there may be something in there to decode the cowl tag. I haven't looked in quite a while, but here's also a link to a discussion on some other site. I googled "decode 56 Oldsmobile tag"

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/119304-...olds-cowl-tag/

The usual suspects for rust - lower fenders, quarters, rockers, and around the headlight buckets as they didn't have much if anything for splash shields.

Last edited by Russ P in MD; November 28th, 2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks guys. Tedd you're right, this is a 4 door sedan. Rust I thought would be pretty much the same as any car, but I wouldn't have thought about the headlight buckets.

I'm going to see if the guy will send me a picture of the data plate so I can decode it before I go look at it. The car is in Florida and I am not. I'd hate to take a trip down there if there was something I didn't like that I would have been able to see before I got there.

Is the color on the data plate? The car is all black now, but I don't think that's original.
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Here's a link to a very useful article about the 1956 Olds:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...8/3691721.html
Old November 29th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Thanks guys. Tedd you're right, this is a 4 door sedan. Rust I thought would be pretty much the same as any car, but I wouldn't have thought about the headlight buckets.

I'm going to see if the guy will send me a picture of the data plate so I can decode it before I go look at it. The car is in Florida and I am not. I'd hate to take a trip down there if there was something I didn't like that I would have been able to see before I got there.

Is the color on the data plate? The car is all black now, but I don't think that's original.
Yes, exterior color and interior (at least style) are indicated on the tag as I recall. Also, they tended to rust in the front fender below the headlights, down by the bumper surround trim. If the car is restored, they may have taken pictures throughout the process documenting what was repaired, especially if it was done well.
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Always room for one more

That was a good article, and good info on that forum. Thanks guys. Supposedly this guy has all the service records back to when it was new, not sure if that includes the original paperwork. Guess I'll see when I go look at it.
Old November 29th, 2016, 08:05 PM

Unless someone has changed the interior, this car is not a Super "88". They all came with the different armrest (the ones made into the door panel) not the armrest that fastened on with screws like the ones in the picture. Larry
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:14 AM
Frank Ignachuck

My Super 88 has the armrests fastened on with screws (not made into the door panel), and it is original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Door Panel.jpg (782.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by ignachuck; November 30th, 2016 at 03:48 AM.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:59 AM

If someone has a 1956 shop manual on the first page under general information it lists the model designations by number and letter code and that would pin it down on what it left the factory as. Unfortunately I don't have a 56 manual and I suspect the 55 manual (what I have ) would be wrong for a 56.... Tedd
Old November 30th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
If someone has a 1956 shop manual on the first page under general information it lists the model designations by number and letter code and that would pin it down on what it left the factory as. Unfortunately I don't have a 56 manual and I suspect the 55 manual (what I have ) would be wrong for a 56.... Tedd
Good thinking Tedd. I have a 56 shop manual at home. I'll look that info up as soon as I get out of work.
Old November 30th, 2016, 01:10 PM

I guess I was wrong about the super 88 Sedan having the other type armrest..In the '55 and '56 Super 88 2 door and 4door Hardtop(Holidays) they all came with the built in armrest the same as the "98's, and had the chrome headliner strips. Larry
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
I guess I was wrong about the super 88 Sedan having the other type armrest..In the '55 and '56 Super 88 2 door and 4door Hardtop(Holidays) they all came with the built in armrest the same as the "98's, and had the chrome headliner strips. Larry
Larry, that's absolutely correct. The 56's were a strange breed with many variations, including dozens of exterior paint combos.
Old November 30th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Here are the 56 model designations. Sorry for the poor quality but I had to take a picture of the page. New PC and printer on my Christmas list
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Model Code.jpg (666.0 KB, 23 views)
Old November 30th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Always room for one more

Frank thanks for this. It will tell us for sure if the car I'm going to look at is a Super or a regular 88. I'm going to call the guy tonight and see if he'll send me a picture of the data plate.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:39 AM

Chrome difference. On Super 88 and base 88

If this works, This is the difference in the way the chrome is on Super88 and Base 88 Note chrome just under door glass. I can't get the picture to load on the base 88 ,but it has no chrome running parallel under the door glass. If you need both pictures ,send me your Email address ,and. I will try to Email both pictures . Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (63.4 KB, 30 views)
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:15 AM

Here is the Base 88 Picture. Note no chrome under door glass,front or back. Larry
Attached Images
image.jpeg (70.9 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; December 2nd, 2016 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Correct
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:22 AM
Always room for one more

Ah, very easy to see here. Thanks Larry. I can't wait to go see this car.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:40 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Here is the Base 88 Picture. Note no chrome under door glass,front or back. Larry

Great job Larry. I never noticed that chrome difference.

My Super 88 has the same color combination as the one in the picture, except the white walls should be 2 3/4.

Remember that those "spinner" hub caps shown on the base 88 were only available standard on the 98's. The base 88 had dog dish.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:56 PM

Thanks Ignachuck,that is the one way that you can pick out the Super 88 from 50 yards away.
Larry
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:07 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Thanks Ignachuck,that is the one way that you can pick out the Super 88 from 50 yards away.
Larry
It seems that the more I learn about 56's and all the variations, the less I know!

Any idea how many exterior color combo's were there?
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:28 PM

Something to ask about is the condition of the chrome hood lip. This lip catches salt brine off the hood and rust out quickly, very hard to find and expensive if you do.... Tedd
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:51 PM

Smile '56 Olds

Yes Tedd, both the hood lip Moulding and the grill surround mouldings are very hard to find ,and extremely expensive if you find them. Ignachuck here are the colors and Two tone colors .But there were different ways that they could be two toned. Larry
Attached Images
image.jpeg (16.7 KB, 18 views)
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:25 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Something to ask about is the condition of the chrome hood lip. This lip catches salt brine off the hood and rust out quickly, very hard to find and expensive if you do.... Tedd
Luckily, in 56 they eliminated the chrome hood lip. But they gave some of us the jetaway!
Old December 3rd, 2016, 07:23 AM

'56 Olds

I always loved the '54 -'56 Oldsmobiles,and they had the most beautiful Dash of any car ever built, and I don't think many people would disagree. Larry
Attached Images
image.jpeg (43.8 KB, 26 views)
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:26 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I always loved the '54 -'56 Oldsmobiles,and they had the most beautiful Dash of any car ever built, and I don't think many people would disagree. Larry
Particularly that 56 dash, cause yours (and mine) have factory A/C. And we both have the optional padded dash. I think it was 12.50 or 18.00, I forgot which.

Last edited by ignachuck; December 3rd, 2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:51 PM
Always room for one more

You guys are killing me. Beautiful cars. I'm going to have a tough time being objective when I go see this car.
Old December 4th, 2016, 01:21 AM

You already have some excellent suggestions. The last vehicle I bought was in N.CA. It was a bit too far to go unless I felt reasonably certain about it. If the seller is cooperative, and especially if he's above the book, he should not mind photographing anything on the car you want to see. The fellow in CA did just that for me. I flew there and drove it back. On the '56, try to get any service information and original documents that may be available. An original owner should have most of it. Some of them tended to leak a bit at the extreme ends of the back glass, especially if they had outside storage. Also some developed a small leak at the bottom of the radiator where the core and the tank meet. Things like sluggish wiper motor and windshield reservoir pump were common with age. Sometime a spot weld near a hood hinge would release. Rear engine oil seal and front transmission seal leakage seemed to be common with old age. Vibration damper ring bond often failed after many years. Sometime rear leaf springs sagged some especially if they carried extra loads. It seems like I remember both 5 and 6 leaf springs, but I can't recall the application right now. When the heater control valve leaks the coolant can go inside the car. If the fuel pickup is like in a '55, don't operate the car under an indicated 1/4 tank. At about 1/8 tank it will suck air and you will need to add fuel to get it to run again. The 88s usually got the older Hydramatics while the S88s & 98s got the newer Jetaway. The Jetaway has a transmission cooler and a "Park" position on the dash, while the older one has no cooler and must be placed in "R" to achieve the park function. The S88 should have a 4 BBL. carburetor with a tag number 7007221 with auto trans. & 7007222 on a manual trans. The '56 was the first year to have the auxiliary valves on the carburetor's secondaries. Most cars got the heavy duty oil bath air cleaner, but theoretically there was also a "standard" air cleaner (which I have never seen). The '56 was the first year that used the new "window" distributor; all engines got it. The exhaust valves got a little bigger on the '56 and the compression ratio went up a little from '55. Premium fuel is required. It varies with elevation, temperature, timing settings, and engine condition, but the octane requirement should be about 89-92.
Old December 4th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Always room for one more

Okay guys I wasn't going to do this but here is the ad for the car I'm wanting to go see. Give it a look and let me know what you think. If any of you think this is the car for you go ahead and call him, it would make things easier for me

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/5880137007.html

It's been for sale for quite awhile. Not sure if it's because there's something glaringly wrong with it once you see it in person, or it's priced too high, or the guy is a jerk, or some combination there of.

Thanks again for everything.
Old December 4th, 2016, 01:36 PM

Okay guys I wasn't going to do this but here is the ad for the car I'm wanting to go see. Give it a look and let me know what you think. If any of you think this is the car for you go ahead and call him, it would make things easier for me

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/5880137007.html

It's been for sale for quite awhile. Not sure if it's because there's something glaringly wrong with it once you see it in person, or it's priced too high, or the guy is a jerk, or some combination there of.

Thanks again for everything.
Sometimes it's hard to see all the problems in an ad. You probably should talk to him on the phone extensively before going. Something might be learned. It looks like the engine compartment was better cared for than the passenger compartment. South Pensacola is really close to a lot of salt water. During hurricanes they get serious high tides. I'm not quite sure how to take his statement: "Engine had upper end rebuild and engine restoration in 2014." I suppose it was just the heads??? The new tires might not include the spare. The steering wheel is not the original. The engine compartment looks typical for a '56 S88. There is obviously a lot of work needed on the interior. I can't see the paint errors he's talking about but it probably doesn't show in the photos. Pensacola is better than Miami for access. If you can't detect any serious problems perhaps you should visit. A few days off from your normal activities might resolve the question once and for all. Best wishes.
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Ozzie, do you mean the steering wheel is not original because it looks brand new or because it's not correct for the car? It is the same as the one in my car, but in much better condition. That bakelite sure did crack a lot in 60 years.

Also, the interior shots bring back memories. Shouldn't be a show stopper. I was able to replace the headliner, upholstery and carpet for under $1500. for materials. I did the install.
Old December 4th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Always room for one more

I have family in Pensacola and will be visiting soon. I got the same thing about the engine, redone heads. I hope that doesn't mean that the weak rings now smoke or the worn bearings knock. All the more reason to see the car in person.

The bumpers look pretty pitted, the interior speaks for itself. I'd be using this as a semi-daily driver. As far as the original paperwork, I know it should answer the question whether or not it's a Super. I tend to be a Cutlass guy, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen a Cutlass Supreme advertised that turns out to be a Cutlass S, because they think the S means Supreme. If it says it's an 88, maybe the guy just thinks they are all Supers. Who knows. I'll find out soon enough.

I would like to know what you guys think about the price. As the king of lowballers, my first guess is it's worth about half what he's asking. If it is indeed worth that money, I don't want to be a jerk about it.

Thanks you guys.
Old December 4th, 2016, 03:54 PM

Well if it was on the west coast I'd be seriously looking at it.If it doesn't have major hidden rust problems or bad lower end it's worth more than that in parts. The hard to find stuff is all there.

If you want a driver it looks good enough to be just that now. If you someday want to restore it complexly start with a budget of $20,000 then forget you have one.... Looks good to me.... Tedd
Old December 4th, 2016, 04:19 PM

Smile '56 Olds

It's a Super 88 . Note the chrome strips under the door glass. Best of luck, Larry
Attached Images
image.jpeg (54.3 KB, 11 views)
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Ozzie, do you mean the steering wheel is not original because it looks brand new or because it's not correct for the car? It is the same as the one in my car, but in much better condition. That bakelite sure did crack a lot in 60 years.
The wheel probably is the correct year for the car, but mine also has a grey interior and my wheel is grey. The one in the photo appears not to be grey on my monitor. Hence I assumed that it has been changed at some time in the past.
Old December 5th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Ozzie
The wheel probably is the correct year for the car, but mine also has a grey interior and my wheel is grey. The one in the photo appears not to be grey on my monitor. Hence I assumed that it has been changed at some time in the past.
Way back in reply #2, Tedd said "not always" in describing 56's.

Well, here's another "not always"..... the interior of my car is (or was)identical in colors to the car in the pictures- plain gray bolster/gray pattern cloth. And my steering wheel is ivory, just like the one in the pictures.
Old December 5th, 2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Way back in reply #2, Tedd said "not always" in describing 56's.

Well, here's another "not always"..... the interior of my car is (or was)identical in colors to the car in the pictures- plain gray bolster/gray pattern cloth. And my steering wheel is ivory, just like the one in the pictures.
I offer my apologies. Sometimes when I assume something I make a mistake. If you know yours was built that way then the one in the ad probably was also. I was very young in the mid '50s and remembering the possible colors options on interior components was something that I missed. I remember the deluxe wheel being an option at extra cost but I can't remember the color option being possible. I suppose that would have been stated in the salesperson's documents, but I don't have those. It appears that the color transition occurred at the horn ring assembly as it and the column appear to be grey. Now I'm wondering how the turn signal lever was treated. It has both metal and plastic components. I hope everyone can forgive the failings of an old guy's memory.
Old December 5th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Ozzie, I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I just meant that there could have been variations to the color combos, not that you were incorrect. You are a valued contributor to this site and a lot of us depend on your knowledge and expertise to set us straight when we need help.

By the way, on my car, the plastic tips on the directional and the shift handle are also ivory to match the steering wheel. The shafts themselves are gray and match the steering column and the lower dash.

Last edited by ignachuck; December 5th, 2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:39 PM

Ozzie we all step on our appendage from time to time I know I do, not a big deal. We all respect your input and knowledge, keep up the good work.... Tedd

Quick Reply: Looking at a 1956 Super 88