Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Looking at a 1956 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2016, 08:28 AM

I believe anything could happen as far as colors were concerned in the '54-'56 model Oldsmobile.I think I mentioned this before,but we sold a '54 Olds 4door Sedan in 1957 to a friend of my dad ,that was Dark Blue exterior and everything in the interior was Green.The car had the original paint,so it had to either have been ordered that way , or that's just the way it came. The availability of colors especially interior colors ,and the different ways that they painted them ,is what made these cars so special. Larry
Old December 6th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
I believe anything could happen as far as colors were concerned in the '54-'56 model Oldsmobile.I think I mentioned this before,but we sold a '54 Olds 4door Sedan in 1957 to a friend of my dad ,that was Dark Blue exterior and everything in the interior was Green.The car had the original paint,so it had to either have been ordered that way , or that's just the way it came. The availability of colors especially interior colors ,and the different ways that they painted them ,is what made these cars so special. Larry
For example, here are all the 56 two tone combos with the wheel colors. Double click on it.

Last edited by ignachuck; December 6th, 2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old December 9th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Always room for one more

Well I hate to say this, but I talked to the guy with the car to make plans for this week end and he told me it was sold. Serious bummer. He said the guy was coming Tuesday to get it. That tells me there is no money yet and the buyer is hedging. Eh, I'm not going to worry about it. I asked him to keep me apprised.

I do want to thank all you guys for the invaluable help and advice. I've been thinking about a 56 for awhile, and this was actually the first car I looked at. I know there will be others and I will keep all this information and be a better buyer.
Old December 9th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Mike, it may still work out for you, so hang in there.

In the meantime, providing you with information also provided all of us with information that we didn't know, so this has been a win-win.

Keep us posted.
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:15 PM

Bummer to hear! I know everyone says these cars are getting harder to find and that's true but there are still thousands out there! You'll find the right one!
Old May 11th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Been looking half-heartedly at cars over the past few months. Nothing really has caught my eye. Many thanks to Larry for sending me links to cars he thought I might like.

Found a project that looked interesting, I wanted to ask you guys about it. Been off the road since 67, probably hasn't run since around then. Body seems good(it's in Indiana), interior is nice. It's a Super 88 four door sedan.

I'm wondering about the engine. Barring any catastrophic occurrence 50 years ago, what does it take to get one of these fired up again? Soak the cylinders if it's stuck, tune up and oil? Rebuild the carb? Am I missing anything? What sort of attention would the trans need?

Here's the link. https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/6127495932.html If anyone thinks it needs to follow them home have at it. I'm gonna call the guy on my way to work tonight.

Thanks everyone.
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:28 PM

If stuck hope you can get it unstuck, you can't remove (unbolt) the transmission with out turning the crank. You would also have to pull engine and transmission together to remove it from the car, no biggie there though.If the cylinders are scored 324 engines can take a huge amount taken off the walls, the problem is getting pistons/ rings these days if it needs more than 60 over. If mine I would probably figure on a transmission rebuild after setting that long especially if it's going to be a daily driver. the rest would be just like any other Old's except probably a little more expensive. Parts are out there and if you need help finding stuff or people or places to fix these cars this is the pace to ask.

That ride looks solid from the pictures I paid (insurance did) more than that for just a hood a few years back I don't think you could go wrong even if the engine or transmission is toast...... Tedd
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:39 PM

Looks like a deal, 324 are pretty tough, bet engine will turn, trans as mentioned may need work. Bought a twin to this car two years ago, engine had not run for years. Had it running next day, paid a little less than asking price for your car but the body had more rust.
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:27 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Fuel tank, fuel pump, and all the brake cylinders will need attention. You might get away with everything except the fuel pump.
Old May 12th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Always room for one more

Sheesh gone already. Called the guy last night and left a message, never heard back, the ad is gone today. Hope it's going to get fixed up and not just parted.