Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 Hydramatic throttle valve lever problem

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2016, 08:13 AM

55 Hydramatic throttle valve lever problem

While installing throttle valve rod I noticed that lever travel on transmission will not allow for proper adjustment on bell crank on engine. All carb linkages are adjusted as per manual. I had the transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago and now just getting it ready for first drive. Will I need to pull the side cover and is there an easy fix for this problem?
Old September 28th, 2016, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Olds Scott
While installing throttle valve rod I noticed that lever travel on transmission will not allow for proper adjustment on bell crank on engine. All carb linkages are adjusted as per manual. I had the transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago and now just getting it ready for first drive. Will I need to pull the side cover and is there an easy fix for this problem?
If someone did a rebuild on the transmission and didn't set the throttle lever correctly it might be the problem. It should be able to be cured with the side cover in place, but you'll probably need tool J-5605 or equivalent. If the rebuilder didn't have the tool and didn't take precautions before disassembly, it may have been a guess. Since you have the manual look on page 3-95 and 3-96. This part of the manual tells how to set the throttle lever. There are other tools to do it, but with no tool you also may have to "guess".
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:56 AM

Thanks Ozzie, I have the J-5605 tool and the special tool for bending the arm for adjustment. I did that adjustment just like in the manual but the swing of the arm is still seems minimal compared to the bell crank travel up on the engine.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:28 AM

After some time off doing home renovations I finally got back to trying to figure out my throttle rod problem. I started the engine and warmed it up with the throttle rod disconnected and shifted it into gear with the rear wheels off the ground. With the exception of finding out that my rear wheel bearings will need replacing the trans went thru the gears smoothly up to 3rd gear, did not want to increase rpms to get to 4th with out throttle rod working smoothly. Movement of throttle rod lever did not increase so I guess pulling side cover to see if inner mechanical movement is the problem. I had the transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago so hoping this is a simple fix. Any help or hints would be appreciated.
Old December 11th, 2016, 09:58 AM

Well after watching Hydamatic Rebuild #3 on Youtube about 20 times I noticed that my throttle body plunger was not going down in the bore when actuated after I had removed the valve body from my transmission. My lever actuator was not centered on the contact pin and the upper valve had cocked in the bore. Since I had this transmission professionally rebuilt I was a little put off. Andy on the Hamb site had responded telling me about this problem so I centered the lever on the pin after resetting it in the bore and it works. Getting ready to reinstall valve body and adjust linkage. Hope this helps anyone that experiences this problem in the future
Old December 11th, 2016, 06:20 PM

Glad to hear Scott! You know the guy who made those YouTube videos is on the Facebook board. I was talking to him yesterday about my TV rod.
Old December 18th, 2016, 04:06 PM

Had a lot of honey-do so have not worked on the 55 in a couple of weeks. Got the side cover on the trans today and adjusted the linkage and now the kick down action is working correctly. Now have to tear down carburetor and replace accelerator pump because I believe the guy that rebuilt it for me used a pump from another 4GC.