Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Clanking noise when driving when cold

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2016, 06:02 PM

Well I found a joint that fits.. It looks like the parts stores have multiple joints for 56 Olds auto and some fit some don't!
Old September 11th, 2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Well I found a joint that fits.. It looks like the parts stores have multiple joints for 56 Olds auto and some fit some don't!
Shopping for U-joints has often become a real adventure. It's usually the best thing to bring the old ones with you and match them up.
Old September 12th, 2016, 03:26 AM

Hey there! I have the joints all in, but I want to lube the slip yoke a bit before installation. Pumping it in with the new grease fitting seems like it will take A LOT of grease! I don't see a welsh plug on the yoke.. Is there anything else I could go off of? Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:22 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Go to Dennys Driveshafts and or call Denny and ask. His web site shows how to measure a Ujoint and or a driveshaft. Then armed with that info go to Spicer and look it up. Should be able to ship to you. Spicer = Best USA made driveline parts ...period. Id steer clear of the big box houses of chineasium junk parts....unless you like doing things several times over.
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:51 AM

Hey there! I have the joints all in, but I want to lube the slip yoke a bit before installation. Pumping it in with the new grease fitting seems like it will take A LOT of grease! I don't see a welsh plug on the yoke.. Is there anything else I could go off of? Thanks!
On my '55 the grease comes out around the transmission end. If you have the Jetaway it may come out on the U-joint end (in the middle). But usually it takes quite a bit of grease before it become visible. There is quite a void in there due to the movement of the slip yoke.
Old September 12th, 2016, 09:17 PM

Hey guys! I want to thank you all, Larry and Ozzie the most for all the help!!

I got the drive shaft back in tonight.. I also put a Zerg fitting on the slip yoke where the grease screw was.. Any ideas how tight I should wrench down on the four bolts that bolt the joint to the axle? Also any ideas on how many squeezes of the grease gun into the slip yoke? I put a thin coat of grease around the splines because when I had a lot of grease in there it was just pushing out into the hollow hole in the output shaft. I was afraid to get too much in there and possibly hydro the yoke going in so I thought it best to remove most of it and put it in through the Zerg after its installed. I dont want to contaminate the trans with grease so I don't want to go crazy. Thanks guys! Appreciate the help more than you know!!!

Edit: I just saw your last post Ozzie. So you pump it in until you see it coming out of the rear seal of the trans? That would seem like 20 pumps of the gun or so to me?
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:10 PM

Hey guys! I want to thank you all, Larry and Ozzie the most for all the help!!

Any ideas how tight I should wrench down on the four bolts that bolt the joint to the axle?
The shop manual says 18-22 ft.-pounds. The factory used some flange bolt lock plates under the bolt heads to stop them from unscrewing. After you get them tight be sure to bend up the tabs.

Also any ideas on how many squeezes of the grease gun into the slip yoke? I put a thin coat of grease around the splines because when I had a lot of grease in there it was just pushing out into the hollow hole in the output shaft. I was afraid to get too much in there and possibly hydro the yoke going in so I thought it best to remove most of it and put it in through the Zerk after its installed. I don't want to contaminate the trans with grease so I don't want to go crazy. Thanks guys! Appreciate the help more than you know!!!

Edit: I just saw your last post Ozzie. So you pump it in until you see it coming out of the rear seal of the trans? That would seem like 20 pumps of the gun or so to me?
It takes quite a bit of grease if it's empty when you begin. 20 might be correct. I never counted them, but I remember it was a lot. Just use a manual gun. That way you'll get a better feel for whats going in.
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:46 PM

Hey Ozzie,

I finished the job today, and I put in 20 squeezes.. I didn't really feel any resistance in the gun, but it may not give resistance if it's just squeezing out into the tail shaft.. I think 20 is probably pretty close, I think I'm going to just leave it as is.
Old September 13th, 2016, 06:53 PM

It sounds good to me. Now you can recheck to see if the original noise is any different.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:10 AM

Hey there! So I test drove it today and the noise was still there but this time instead of lasting three blocks it went away in about 3/4 of a block.. The sound is exactly like the sound you would hear if you walked or drove over a loose manhole.. Just over and over.. I really think it may be the slip yoke and hopefully the grease worked its way in.. I'll have to try it again tomorrow once it's cold.. Also it may need more grease if it doesn't go away, but I think it's pretty telling that the noise went away quicker, so clearly it's something with the driveshaft.. I think.
Old September 14th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Here's a real simple minded comment. Is the rear axle lubricant up to the correct level? If not, the shop manual calls for SAE 90 multi-purpose gear lubricant to the level of the plug.
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:43 PM

Hey Ozzie,

The rear end was a very slight bit low, less than a quarter bottle of oil. Today I pulled the car out and went down the hill and the first block was dead quiet this time! I was shocked.. But then the second block it started! That's new. It sounds just like a man hole cover moving over and over again, I notice when I slow to a stop it gets slower and slower as I came to a stop and also I have to mention that my speedo cable jumps around at low speeds around the same speeds but about 25mph it's smooth as silk.. The difference is while the speedo cable gets quieter it still does it all the time, after a few blocks the noise I hear goes away completely.. This morning it seemed more apparent when slowing down to stop.. Also I have another light metal sound I hear every time I hit a bump but I believe it's the clamps on my leaf springs, my springs look pretty shot and I plan on replacing them soon. At first I thought maybe they were causing the axle to twist or something but that can't be because it goes away quickly.. My biggest fear is it's something in the tranny then goes away when it warms up.

Edit: I bought a new speedo cable from Fusick I just haven't installed it yet.
Old September 14th, 2016, 06:09 PM

Hey Ozzie,

The rear end was a very slight bit low, less than a quarter bottle of oil. Today I pulled the car out and went down the hill and the first block was dead quiet this time! I was shocked.. But then the second block it started! That's new. It sounds just like a man hole cover moving over and over again, I notice when I slow to a stop it gets slower and slower as I came to a stop and also I have to mention that my speedo cable jumps around at low speeds around the same speeds but about 25mph it's smooth as silk.. The difference is while the speedo cable gets quieter it still does it all the time, after a few blocks the noise I hear goes away completely.. This morning it seemed more apparent when slowing down to stop.. Also I have another light metal sound I hear every time I hit a bump but I believe it's the clamps on my leaf springs, my springs look pretty shot and I plan on replacing them soon. At first I thought maybe they were causing the axle to twist or something but that can't be because it goes away quickly.. My biggest fear is it's something in the tranny then goes away when it warms up.

Edit: I bought a new speedo cable from Fusick I just haven't installed it yet.

Well, at least you know it's not due to a lack of oil in the rear end. It's like Tedd said that it's hard to tell where it's coming from sometime. If it's a repetitive metallic noise with a frequency that varies with the speed of the vehicle it makes me think that it's in the drive line or the brakes. You may have to pull each brake drum to assure that it's not there. If you bought a new cable and housing that should cure the speedometer problem. If you bought the cable (only), they usually recommend that you use some light grease on the lower 2/3 when you insert it from the top. Either way you should be O.K. If the springs are sagging, replacement would probably solve it. I once rebuilt some leaf springs by changing the insulators and adding a full length leaf to the bundle under the long one. They are still in service. Also, be sure that the Jetaway is full of the proper fluid.

Last edited by Ozzie; September 17th, 2016 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Structured correction
Old September 14th, 2016, 07:16 PM

Hey Ozzie,

I bought the whole cable. As for the sound I will try to record it tomorrow. The thing that throws me is how it goes away completely so quickly.. Could something be in the transmission that isn't releasing correctly? I noticed my slip yoke has a 7 as the last part number instead of a 6. I'm assuming it's just an updated version but I may be wrong.. It really sounds to me like the type of metal sound the yoke or something like that would make.. I really don't see how a wheel bearing could make such a noise but I may be wrong.. It just seems like it has a deep enough sound that it seems like something heavier.. But what do I know! My fear is I just don't want to break something and to me it sounds loud enough that it may not be a problem right away but soon could.. I'm hearing it when I have the windows down and it seems to be on the passenger side to me.. But it could just be echoing off the curb or the parked cars.. But now that I think about it I don't hear it from the drivers side really..
Old September 14th, 2016, 08:21 PM

Just a thought , how are your transmission mounts.I once had a car , Hudson I believe (same slant pan transmission) that the mounts were partly broken and would put the the drive shaft knuckles in a bind.It would make a similar noise at times. I over looked this several times before I found it. Worth a look anyway.

Can you get your car up on a lify and check it out while running, that would take a bunch of guess work out of it.... Tedd
Old September 14th, 2016, 08:48 PM
74 2.8L Capri

My rear transmission/engine mounts were completely failed, and was silent. The engine was resting on the exhaust pipe and the hole through the X frame. Happy as a clam. I was shocked when I found it. No noise. Nothing like he's describing.

Could it be loose bolts? Transmission to the back of the engine? Transmission shifting around till it seats against loose bolts?
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:08 PM

I will crawl under and look at the mount but if memory serves I think it's good. I think the trans to engine is pretty solid
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:48 PM

Hey Ozzie,

I bought the whole cable. As for the sound I will try to record it tomorrow. The thing that throws me is how it goes away completely so quickly.. Could something be in the transmission that isn't releasing correctly? I noticed my slip yoke has a 7 as the last part number instead of a 6. I'm assuming it's just an updated version but I may be wrong.. It really sounds to me like the type of metal sound the yoke or something like that would make.. I really don't see how a wheel bearing could make such a noise but I may be wrong.. It just seems like it has a deep enough sound that it seems like something heavier.. But what do I know! My fear is I just don't want to break something and to me it sounds loud enough that it may not be a problem right away but soon could.. I'm hearing it when I have the windows down and it seems to be on the passenger side to me.. But it could just be echoing off the curb or the parked cars.. But now that I think about it I don't hear it from the drivers side really..
It might be a big help if you can post a recording of the sound. Someone on the forum may have heard it before. If you can put the mike on either side of the car (one at a time) it may detect if it is closer to one side. Just try to do it safely! Sounds can be elusive.
Old September 15th, 2016, 02:49 AM

I was actually thinking of doing just that but I was actually trying to figure out how to run my inspection camera down there.. It allows you to record video on your phone or tablet so I am going to work on that soon! Do you have any recommendations on how to change the speedo cable as easy as possible? I have the entire one. Thanks!
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:42 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Jack it up and spin each wheel. The manhole cover sound, sounds like a brake drum. Whens the last time you pulled the drums to look at the brakes? Could have a piece of brake hardware floating around or a shoe delaminated. Also look at the drum to backing plate interface. Does the drum have a groove that fits over the backing plate? Look for rub witness marks.
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:52 AM

I was actually thinking of doing just that but I was actually trying to figure out how to run my inspection camera down there.. It allows you to record video on your phone or tablet so I am going to work on that soon! Do you have any recommendations on how to change the speedo cable as easy as possible? I have the entire one. Thanks!
The audio may prove more productive than the video if it's video alone. You'll just have to "un-thread" the old cable and "re-thread" the new one using the smallest end. Try to preserve the rubber, plastic, & foam seals used along the way. And try to avoid any sharp bends (small radius) in the new cable.
Old September 15th, 2016, 07:03 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try the audio before video. I will check the brakes too, what made me think drivetrain was because it did it when I hit the brakes or let off.. But it also does it if I'm in N or D.

As for the speedo cable, I am assuming I disconnect it from the speedo and tranny and with care pull it out? And then try to feed the new one back in? I am guessing from the top down? Thanks again!

Last edited by cmpcpro; September 15th, 2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:56 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try the audio before video. I will check the brakes too, what made me think drivetrain was because it did it when I hit the brakes or let off.. But it also does it if I'm in N or D.

As for the speedo cable, I am assuming I disconnect it from the speedo and tranny and with care pull it out? And then try to feed the new one back in? I am guessing from the top down? Thanks again!
Right. Disconnect both ends and "fish" the smallest end through all the openings it must pass to get the cable free. Some of the openings are just large enough to get the smallest end through.
Old September 15th, 2016, 10:26 AM

Ok thanks! I haven't even looked to see how many things it goes through, hoping it's not a nightmare!
Old September 15th, 2016, 11:33 AM

Hey guys! Here is a link to the sound. I just made it right now. You can hear it in the beginning and then I try to move the phone around to hear better and it seems to get worse, but then you can hear it again, and you can't notice it perfectly but at the end it slows down with the car.. A couple blocks later it's gone completely.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf0fnbu820...%20AM.mov?dl=0
Old September 16th, 2016, 11:43 PM

I drove it today and it didn't do it at all.. I may have heard a single clank once when coming to a stop. To me it has the hollow sound of a slip yoke or maybe something in brakes.. The other way when I slowed down to a stop and it went from tap tap tap to tap.... tap........... tap as I stopped it reassured that it's defiantly in the rotational mass.. I don't know if a tranny could even do something like that, I assume if it can maybe it's sticking somewhere for the first block or something.. Or then the rear end or brakes but does it even sound like a wheel bearing to you guys? I'm going to check tomorrow to see if I hear it again if I can hear it at all from the drivers side.. If it's mostly coming from the pass side I would think that would rule out the tranny? Thanks for the help guys! I am lost on this one and really want to be able to enjoy my car!
Old September 17th, 2016, 02:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Here is a link to the sound.
I'd check all the brakes.

- Eric
Old September 17th, 2016, 03:42 AM

Hey Eric,

I think your right, I'm going to check them out but I'm trying to rack my head on what could cause that noise for just a brief moment and then go away completely.
Old September 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM

Hey guys, I'm guessing nobody has any ideas on the video I posted with the sound right? Well I figured it would probably be pretty hard with that so today I went to the electronic store and adopted a beautiful little go pro camera to help me! I ordered a magnetic mount from Amazon with one day delivery and it says it's coming tomorrow (Sunday!).. With that I should be able to get a better idea. I personally think it's something with the slip yoke but we shall see! I'll post the videos here.. Hopefully as I move the camera around we will be able to tell when the sound gets closer. We may even be able to see the drive shaft load up.. To me I hear it from the passenger side not the drivers side..
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:01 PM

Judging by the speed of the car, it seems like something is hitting every wheel revolution. Are your tires lumpy? You may have a worn out shoe.
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:03 PM

I don't have any vibration or anything and the wheels and tires are brand new. What throws me is how it goes away so quickly. It definitely is going along with the revolution as when slowing down it slows to a stop.
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... I'm guessing nobody has any ideas on the video I posted with the sound right?
What am I? Chopped liver?

- Eric
Old September 18th, 2016, 07:31 AM

Yes you are, but we like you anyway.... Tedd
Old September 18th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Oy.
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:11 PM

Sorry Eric! I am losing my mind half the day to boot.
Old September 24th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Hey guys I just had a thought.. It almost sounds like a shoe rattling around.. Maybe I have a bad wheel cylinder leaking down and the shoe is rattling around until it finally pumps up? I don't see any fluid leaking down the back of the tire though...
Old September 24th, 2016, 12:33 PM

I never did see a response from you to droldsmorland's suggestion you pull the hubcaps and check for loose things inside like a lug nut that has come off, a rock etc. Did I miss something? I've witnessed lug nuts inside hubcaps a number of times and they will clank intermittently as they get bound up or held by rotational force. They typically only make noise at low speeds but not always.

Also, I don't recall reading where you pulled the wheels and brake drums and did a visual check for loose/broken things like the bar that holds the shoes apart as one example. Also look at fasteners that hold the backing plate to axle. If they were loose some clanking/rattling could occur.

If I somehow overlooked your response to that, I apologize but it seemed to me you slipped right past checking the easiest things and went looking at more complex and expensive possibilities.
Jerry
Old September 24th, 2016, 04:01 PM

I replaced the wheels and tires not long ago so I know it's not a lug nut but I haven't taken the brakes apart yet. I'm going to but I wanted to get the driveshaft u joints and slip yoke done. I have a hundred projects I want to do and most everything is bought for all of them and just sitting there I just need the time to get them going!
Old September 24th, 2016, 04:54 PM

I have a hundred projects I want to do and most everything is bought for all of them and just sitting there I just need the time to get them going!
I know exactly what you're talking about. Mickey Rooney once said that life is way too short. Alternatively, Mbah Gotho of Indonesia, who "might" be 145 years old, says that his longevity is due to wholeheartedness and patience. Hence, since you are probably somewhat younger than Gotho, just hang in there. There may remain enough time to get all those projects done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oldest 2.jpg (187.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg
oldest 3.JPG (49.5 KB, 4 views)
Old September 24th, 2016, 09:26 PM

Wow! I don't think I'd want to live anywhere near that long! I'd rather be with my family in Heaven then to be here all alone.. I pulled the speedo cable and replaced it. It was very easy, but I haven't connected it to the tranny yet. I used speedo lube which is graphite with alcohol to carry the graphite and then when it dries the graphite is left. I used it until it started coming out of the bottom.. What I did notice when I took the old one off is there was a bit of tranny fluid in there.. Is there an easy way to seal up the speedo gear to stop fluid from washing the graphite out? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Clanking noise when driving when cold