Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

56 headlight

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2016, 12:04 AM

56 headlight

Hey guys I want to replace my headlights and I haven't even looked at how it's set up but how easy are they to remove? After the bezel do they come out with the mounting screws or a spring? Do I need a tool if it has a spring? Thanks! Will probably pop off the bezel tomorrow and take a look at it.

Thanks!
Old August 16th, 2016, 03:39 AM
Frank Ignachuck

You will need the spring removal tool. Then it's easy.
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:45 AM

I didn't have a headlight spring removal tool, so I made me one out a paint can lid remover,like they usually give you when you buy a gallon of paint. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; August 16th, 2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Add
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:58 AM

Thanks guys! I'll have to take a look and see what those tools look like so I can pick one up.
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:53 AM

If anyone can show a pic of what this tool looks like it seems like there are a lot out there!
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Smile

There are several different types with different handles. Here is one that can usually be bought at most well known auto parts stores. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (25.8 KB, 3 views)
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Thanks!
Old August 16th, 2016, 11:04 PM

Thanks guys! I got my brand new T3 lights in tonight and took out those nasty halogens!! These bulbs are great with the original look! Fusick only has two sets left because I bought two sets one for spare because I called the company and they said wow! We stopped making them they were very hard to make with original blueprints if you can get more you better buy them they will be worth something. So I called back and told them to ship another box!!

I found something odd though. The pass side looks like an original bucket but the ring that holds the light in is bolted in by three screws other than the adjusting. No spring. The drivers side has the spring.. Could this be from a 57 or something similar yet obviously different? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (2.36 MB, 7 views)
Old August 18th, 2016, 07:37 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
I found something odd though. The pass side looks like an original bucket but the ring that holds the light in is bolted in by three screws other than the adjusting. No spring. The drivers side has the spring.. Could this be from a 57 or something similar yet obviously different? Thanks!
I replaced my '55 fenders. The ones I got were '56. The buckets on the '56 are slightly different. Much easier to deal with. Sounds like you have 1 '55 bucket and one '56.

The '55 you have the springs and the inner bezel, the '56 the inner chrome trim ring/bezel comes out with different screws than the adjustors. That way you don't mess with the alignment every time you change the bulb. Much better way of doing it.

Funny, I changed from the T3's to Halogen. I wanted to be able to see at night, I drive it pretty regularly and probably won't be doing shows. functionality over appearance for me. I think one of the lights was original.

Go ahead and start the flaming...if they weren't so expensive, I almost went with an LED replacement!! Now that would have looked odd.