Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Cooling system

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2016, 05:18 PM

Cooling system

Hey guys I found out the 56 water pump for AC cars does not have more blades on the impeller just a bigger bearing. I am still in need of the AC 6 blade fan if anyone knows of one! Someone mentioned a website I may be able to get one, I know Danchucks and a few others have many of these fans but if it's not an original fan then I would have to match bolt pattern etc and I don't know those specs.

Also going to put my 160deg stat in when I put my shroud on and was wondering if this cooling system has any special techniques to get air out or if it's just straight fill and go. I will definitely put a small hole in the thermostat as I've had air bubbles at them stop them from opening.

Thanks for the help guys! My car has been stuck in the garage for the last few weeks as I've been too busy to get my tune up and the few things I want to do to it out of the way. Trying to get some of it done tonight if possible! Excited to drive my car lol.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:15 PM

Are you having trouble with it running hot? I put an aftermarket air on mine and left the stock radiator,thermostat,fan ,and did not use a fan shroud ! I ran it for seven years in all kinds of hot weather, even idling for several minutes at a time,and never saw the heat gauge over half way. Just wondering, Larry
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Hey guys I found out the 56 water pump for AC cars does not have more blades on the impeller just a bigger bearing. I am still in need of the AC 6 blade fan if anyone knows of one! Someone mentioned a website I may be able to get one, I know Danchucks and a few others have many of these fans but if it's not an original fan then I would have to match bolt pattern etc and I don't know those specs.

Also going to put my 160deg stat in when I put my shroud on and was wondering if this cooling system has any special techniques to get air out or if it's just straight fill and go. I will definitely put a small hole in the thermostat as I've had air bubbles at them stop them from opening.

Thanks for the help guys! My car has been stuck in the garage for the last few weeks as I've been too busy to get my tune up and the few things I want to do to it out of the way. Trying to get some of it done tonight if possible! Excited to drive my car lol.
While I have seen some aftermarket pumps which had a differing number of impeller vanes, generally, it is like you said that only the bearing differs on the A/C pumps to take the higher belt loads.
I never had any problems with trapped air in mine.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Are you having trouble with it running hot? I put an aftermarket air on mine and left the stock radiator,thermostat,fan ,and did not use a fan shroud ! I ran it for seven years in all kinds of hot weather, even idling for several minutes at a time,and never saw the heat gauge over half way. Just wondering, Larry
No it doesn't run terribly hot with the AC but it's got a 185 stat in it and it will go up to about 205 of idling too long but goes back to 190 driving with or without air so when I change the thermostat and put the shroud on I figured I would put the six blade on at the same time and it should be nice and cool at idle in our horrible traffic..
Old July 22nd, 2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
While I have seen some aftermarket pumps which had a differing number of impeller vanes, generally, it is like you said that only the bearing differs on the A/C pumps to take the higher belt loads.
I never had any problems with trapped air in mine.
Thanks! Just making sure.

I want to make sure it runs as cool as it can.. I love driving through traffic on a hot day with the windows up that Vintage Air blows so ice cold I have to turn it down after a bit.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
I want to make sure it runs as cool as it can.
I've got a 160 thermostat in mine. It consistently runs with the factory gauge just below the first mark on the gauge which is above the "C" mark. (It shows a bit cooler than the one shown in the owner manual.)
Old July 23rd, 2016, 08:10 AM

Thanks! Unfortunately Oldsmobile decided it would be more luxurious? Cleaner? To do away with important guages and replace them with dummy lights. I usually hate under dash guages but really have no choice but to use them because I want to know what's going on with my engine not just a light saying guess what! Motors broke!
Old July 23rd, 2016, 08:59 AM
Administrator

If your just getting to 205 with extended idling you have nothing to worry about.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If your just getting to 205 with extended idling you have nothing to worry about.
Yeah I figured I'm right at the point of still being okay but I would like to keep it just a tad cooler. For example today in LA it's 106! I figure the 160 stat, shroud and 6 blade fan may just help a bit to give w cushion.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:28 PM
Administrator

A thermostat only controls the minimum operating temp of an engine, the cooling system efficiency controls the rest. If you change to a 160 it will open sooner and eventually you will be at the same temp as you are with the 180. The fan and shroud may help a little at idle. Again your temp is normal.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:29 PM

I understand the stat isn't going to make a difference in the traffic idle temp, but the shroud and fan may. I agree that it may be okay but if I can run a little cooler id rather be cooler than hotter