Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

56 98 Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2016, 04:47 PM

56 98 Is this normal?

Hey guys I've noticed when going over rough roads or bumpy roads the reflection from the paint on the hood and front fenders shows me they are shaking a little when hitting these bumps.. Over smooth road they're fine, but I'm a little OCD and wondering if that's normal and I'm being picky or if that shouldn't happen.. They seem tight when I push on them but I'm going to make sure all the bolts are in anyway just to be sure, but is this just a normal part of these old cars? Suspension feels good but I suppose it could be an alignment or suspension issue if it's not normal.. The previous owner put 17" American racing wheels on Goodyear radials on the car but I am getting all brand new stock wheels and correct tires next week.. Thanks!
Old July 3rd, 2016, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Its normal for sheet metal to flex with bumps. That's not to say that perhaps a previous owner didn't install and/or tighten all the bolts.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 08:14 PM

Thanks I assumed it could be
Old July 6th, 2016, 04:53 PM

You may find that if you go to non-radial tires you may loose some steering control. My 57 wandered all over on uneven roads with standard bias ply tires. The radials made a huge improvement.
Ive never noticed the bodie panel shaking, now the side mirror on the other hand shakes quite a bit....should look into that.
Mark
Old July 6th, 2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mark57
You may find that if you go to non-radial tires you may loose some steering control. My 57 wandered all over on uneven roads with standard bias ply tires. The radials made a huge improvement.
Ive never noticed the bodie panel shaking, now the side mirror on the other hand shakes quite a bit....should look into that.
Mark
Thanks Mark! I went with the American Classic radials that look like bias ply. Also the body panels aren't really shaking like Christine did when coming back to life, but when hitting bumps I can see them shaking a little from the reflections off the paint.. Nothing huge but just made me wonder if the front alignment or something may have been off
Old July 6th, 2016, 05:03 PM

It would be a good idea to get your alignment checked right after you put the new rubber on. If its out you could wear your tires out prematurely. These old girls body panels are so heavy I dont think they would flex very much. As Eric said maybe just check for any loose bolts or hood hinge. Is the frame solid with no possible cracks?
Mark
Old July 6th, 2016, 05:08 PM

Yeah I plan to check the alignment. The frame looks good and the car feels solid, I think I may just be a little OCD.
Old July 6th, 2016, 05:10 PM

Put it this way, what I'm noticing is less than what would cause a mirror to shake so it's probably just me. Maybe I'll try to take a video of it. I was watching an inspector inspect a 56 88 and he noticed a chip on the hood between the fender and mentioned how common it was from the hoods hitting the fenders driving.. Mine doesn't do anything close to that lol

Last edited by cmpcpro; July 6th, 2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old July 6th, 2016, 07:30 PM

Hey guys I think I found my issue. While watching some YouTube videos I've noticed there are two metal bars that go from the firewall to the front of each fender. I don't have those. I bet that is my issue! Any ideas where I could find a set? Thanks!
Old July 7th, 2016, 02:39 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Hey guys I think I found my issue. While watching some YouTube videos I've noticed there are two metal bars that go from the firewall to the front of each fender. I don't have those. I bet that is my issue! Any ideas where I could find a set? Thanks!
Very hard to find. But you can make them. Electrical conduit. Just cut to fit, pinch the ends, round the corners a tad, drill the holes, and paint them flat black. Under $5. a set.
Old July 7th, 2016, 05:10 AM

Thank you! I think I actually found some but can you confirm if they are the same for all models in 56? Thanks!
Old July 7th, 2016, 08:53 AM

I believe that all '55-56 Olds fender braces are the same, and not having them would definitely cause the fenders to shake on rough bumps.I heartily agree that the radial tires really help the ride and handling, and Coker tire sells them in the wider whitewalls. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; July 7th, 2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Add
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't have those braces on my 54. They were gone long before I got the car. I do not notice any vibration like that mentioned here. I have Coker reproduction BF Goodrich bias belted tires and the car rides surprisingly smooth. I really don't notice it trying to run all over the road like a lot of people talk about. If I went to radials, which I will at some point, I am sure I would notice the difference.
Old July 7th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Those metal bars are called tie bars, or "front fender to body supports". Section 8.141 in your handy dandy Master Chassis Parts Book.

1954 thru 1956 all (RH) 4644710
1954 thru 1956 all (LH) 4644711
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:56 AM

And I think they are solid steel rods though I'm sure conduit would work as well..... Tedd
Old July 7th, 2016, 02:26 PM

Thanks guys! I'm trying to find the original. I would prefer that over the remakes. Can we confirm 55 is the same for 56? How about 54? I'm calling junk yards all over and if the other years work I can call them back to check those. Thanks! If anyone here knows where I can find them I'm willing to pay good money for them! Thanks!
Old July 7th, 2016, 07:12 PM

Check with John (2blu442) he did have a 55 that he was parting out he might still have those parts..... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; July 7th, 2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old July 7th, 2016, 08:34 PM

Thanks I will!
Old July 8th, 2016, 02:30 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
And I think they are solid steel rods though I'm sure conduit would work as well..... Tedd
My 56 had one original tie-bar and it was hollow. That's where I got the conduit idea.
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:36 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by ignachuck
My 56 had one original tie-bar and it was hollow. That's where I got the conduit idea.
Agreed. Mine are original and are hollow. The conduit idea is brilliant. There is an offset in the end by the firewall. Here's a good picture. They use the same sheet metal screws as the ones, fender to inner fender, and radiator baffles.
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:38 AM

Now you have me curious. I've had them off several times and I thought they were solid steel but I wasn't checking for that. I'll check that out for my own piece of mind today..... Tedd
Old July 8th, 2016, 02:04 PM

Yep, they are hollow, who would have thunk it.... Tedd
Old July 8th, 2016, 05:23 PM

I'm surprised too they are hollow! I'm a little OCD and would like to have originals instead of remakes.. Anyone with a 55 or 56 want to sell me their originals and make a new pair for their car? I don't mind paying stupidly for them..
Old July 8th, 2016, 05:47 PM

Those metal bars are called tie bars, or "front fender to body supports". Section 8.141 in your handy dandy Master Chassis Parts Book.

Thanks! Does anyone with them know why or what is different between the two? Finding single ones in some of these junk yards but want to make sure I don't get two of the same side. Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:53 PM

If you look at post #20 you will see that the bends on both ends will only fit (bolt up) one way so if you find a set the bends will be opposite ..... Tedd
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:09 PM

I see that but couldn't you just swap sides? They aren't curved or anything?
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If those things were solid you would need heavier springs on the front. Okay I am just BSing a little. They would be pretty heavy though.
Old July 9th, 2016, 12:50 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
If you look at post #20 you will see that the bends on both ends will only fit (bolt up) one way so if you find a set the bends will be opposite ..... Tedd
Ted, as far as I could tell, they are the same and interchangeable. Straight rods with the offsets in one end.

One end, have threads, I think in the bent offsets. The bolt goes through the lip on the top front of the cowl. The other end, the holes are slotted to tailor the fit the length to the car, and the threads are in the fenders.

This is the before picture. Take a close look near the top. This was before I pulled the L hand brace.
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info but if there are two part numbers they has to be something different. I'm wondering if they are off in length by a minute amount. I was wondering if someone could maybe measure them? I want to buy some but I need to be able to make sure I don't spend money shipping two left shoes lol! Thanks!
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:55 AM

I have an original set off my '55 4 door Holiday and they measure 38 and 3/8" from hole to hole. I made me some out of Conduit and polished them out like chrome .I have since sold the car and didn't send these with the car. And, no they are not solid ,they are hollow just like conduit ,but are made of steel. Just tell me what they are worth to you and I will send them + Shipping. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; July 9th, 2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:56 AM

Thanks! Would you be willing to sell your original set?
Old July 9th, 2016, 11:01 AM

Sorry I didn't realize you edited your post until just now. I just sent you a private message. Thanks!
Old July 9th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Damn, here I am quoting myself! When I made mine out of electrical conduit, I may have had to do some tweaking on one of them, but not a big deal. They are both pretty much the same.

Whether having them makes a difference or not, I only know my father would have said that they were put there for a reason.....
Old July 9th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I checked my 54 and it has the holes for them. Howver, if I tried to put the one on the right side it would interfere with one of my AC hoses. So, I will keep getting buy without them. They might help or they might just be an example of over engineering in the 50's.
Old July 9th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Hey Red, I'd love to see some more pics of your car if you have them handy
Old July 9th, 2016, 04:53 PM

Damn, here I am quoting myself! When I made mine out of electrical conduit, I may have had to do some tweaking on one of them, but not a big deal. They are both pretty much the same.

Whether having them makes a difference or not, I only know my father would have said that they were put there for a reason.....
Thanks for the info! I'm guessing if they are hollow they obviously aren't doing anything major, but whether or not they do anything or just over engineered I guess I'll find out and let you all know once I get mine!
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Hey Red, I'd love to see some more pics of your car if you have them handy
Here are a couple. I hope they go through because these files are big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0872.jpg (2.01 MB, 7 views)
IMG_2052.JPG (3.29 MB, 5 views)
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:07 PM

Oh that's so beautiful!
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Here a couple more. The first one is what the car originally looked like.
Attached Images
100_0108.JPG (1.00 MB, 9 views)
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:13 PM

I really like that rootbeer color but the car looks a thousand times better now than it did!

Quick Reply: 56 98 Is this normal?