Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

38 olds drive train

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2009, 08:34 PM

Talking 38 olds drive train

Hey everyone my name is dave and I am restoring a 38 4-door sedan olds. My question is. The flat head and trany are gone and I will be dropping a big block in it. If I need to replace the drive train what year olds would fit. Thanks for any help.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:57 AM
Oldsdruid

Julian Hilton has done the same thing with a 42, but I think he sat the body on a complete 69 Delta 88 frame. Take it this will be a cosmetic restoration on modern chassis?

You may have to narrow the rear axle, and I'd use a Ford 9" since it's commonly done on those units.

Clipping the front end for modern suspension might make setting a big-block easier.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
Past Administrator

Two good ideas, I plan to transplant a 9 inch in my '46 this spring if things work out. You could do what I have done; 455 engine, TH400 transmission, custom cut driveshaft (from a donor car that had the transmission) with correct U-joint to fit original rear axle of car. I haven't driven the car a lot yet and not under full throttle so I don't know if the axle will hold up to the torque of the big block but it works.

edit: Welcome to our site and hope to see pictures and hear what you will do.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM

Welcome to the site. The 9" narrowed ford rearend is a good choice, you can install a mustange front clip with rack and pinion steering without to much trouble. Thats what I have in My 48 Olds. Plus dice breaks all the way around.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Julian Hilton has done the same thing with a 42, but I think he sat the body on a complete 69 Delta 88 frame. Take it this will be a cosmetic restoration on modern chassis?

You may have to narrow the rear axle, and I'd use a Ford 9" since it's commonly done on those units.

Clipping the front end for modern suspension might make setting a big-block easier.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the info. My wife's uncle has a salvage yard and the delta 88 sounds like a good idea. Thanks Dave.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM

38 olds drive train

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Two good ideas, I plan to transplant a 9 inch in my '46 this spring if things work out. You could do what I have done; 455 engine, TH400 transmission, custom cut driveshaft (from a donor car that had the transmission) with correct U-joint to fit original rear axle of car. I haven't driven the car a lot yet and not under full throttle so I don't know if the axle will hold up to the torque of the big block but it works.

edit: Welcome to our site and hope to see pictures and hear what you will do.
Thanks for the info. A doner car sounds like the way to go. Thanks Dave.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Welcome to the site. The 9" narrowed ford rearend is a good choice, you can install a mustange front clip with rack and pinion steering without to much trouble. Thats what I have in My 48 Olds. Plus dice breaks all the way around.
Thanks for the info. Why is the ford rear end the most popular choice for this application? Would 'nt it be just as easy to find an olds that a person could get the motor,trany,drive shaft and axel to fit. Thanks, Dave
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Welcome to the website. We look forward to seeing pics.
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Your project sounds great. Can't wait to see pics. I'm sure someone (one of the gurus) will tell you why the Ford 9" is the way to go.....I don't want to confuse you with my elementary understanding of rear ends.
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 38 olds
Thanks for the info. Why is the ford rear end the most popular choice for this application? Would 'nt it be just as easy to find an olds that a person could get the motor,trany,drive shaft and axel to fit. Thanks, Dave
I don't know if the ford rear end is the most popular. I just got one for free, in today's economy free is better than buying one . If I could get a nice solid GM rear end I would do that.
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I am doing a 37 and have two different rearends that I am debating on. One is from a 70 Nova and one is from a 75 Granada. I think I will be going with the Nova rear, as I think the other will be too narrow.

I think the Ford 9" is popular because of availibilty, strength, and looks(smooth on the back).

I hope to see some pictures of your 38.

Rick