Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

57 Olds power brake booster vacum

Old May 12th, 2016, 08:01 AM

57 Olds power brake booster vacum

My olds now has a 350 chevy engine in it. there were no vacuum lines connected to the power brake booster when I got it. Can anyone tell me the routing process from the intake manifold to the canister and booster connection. I was told a check valve belongs in the sequence but I do not know where and how it should be placed. I also belives the booster and master is bad since after connecting vacuum straight to the booster, My pedal was still at the floor and very hard, virually very little stopping power.
Thanks
Old May 13th, 2016, 06:24 AM

ok I am getting some views but no one has advice yet on my question ??
Old May 14th, 2016, 02:35 PM
zii

I know nothing about these cars, no idea what canister you're talking about... but the check valve is simple. It must of course allow the engine to suck air from the booster, to create the "vacuum" that assists during braking.

They usually have an arrow on them, which should point towards the engine. (Indicates direction of flow.) Or else you could try sucking through it with your mouth. The end where you can suck air through, should be towards the engine.

I think the check valve sometimes can be integrated in the booster, then you can't get it wrong. (If that's the case and you add an extra check valve, it's still ok, it doesn't matter as long as they let the air flow towards the engine.)

Don't know about your other problems.
Have you tried jacking the car and verify that the brakes work at all four wheels?
I think I read somewhere that the proportioning valve might need to be reset (if you have such a thing on your car).

I had never seen a proportioning valve before I started to fix the brakes on my Olds. Here in Europe we usually have a reduction valve in the rear, and often it's connected to the rear axle/suspension so it allows more brake power to the rear if the car is loaded (luggage, passengers etc..)

I assume newer cars rely on the ABS for the brake power proportioning...
Old May 14th, 2016, 03:18 PM

In '57 there were two "TreadleVac power boosters " used .One was made by Bendix, the other by Moraine.Both were similar ,but the rebuild kits were different.Both did have a check valve,located in the large vacuum line,that went between the back of the engine across the firewall on passenger side and down to the mastecylinder/ booster which was under the floor on the drivers side I have sold my '55 and don't have access to the Shop Manual,but if you don't have one,they are a must have.They are available onl EBay, usually, but don't buy a PDF version.
The original Olds '57 Shop manual will explain the TreadleVac system, even has step by step and pictures for the rebuild.If I remember correctly ,it takes about 18 lbs. of vacuum to work the booster correctly. Hope this helps, Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; May 15th, 2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Change
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:42 PM

sounds like you do have a bad master...mine acted the same before having mine rebuilt by a guy in the sacramento ca. area... i have the manual,but did not have the time,to try a rebuilt.
good luck.
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:36 PM

The Bendix master cylinder is Aluminum, and the Moraine will be cast iron. The name should be visible on the unit. You will need to identify it before ordering a rebuild kit.The kit sold by Fusick has more parts and is much more expensive than the ones on EBay, but I rebuilt mine with the kit from EBay, and it work out fine.My suggestion if you rebuild it yourself, is to buy 100% Neatsfoot Oil (sold at many Stores that sell leather saddle and bridle supplies) to treat the leather seal.
They are usually really full of thick dirty fluid, so clean is the important part of the rebuild.
I decided to rebuild my own because you will have to remove it from the car ,send it to a rebuilder, and reinstall it when it comes back. Good luck ,Larry
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:41 AM

The vacuum canister is located in the passenger fender well and the hose ran from this canister to a check valve located on the fire wall center in the engine bay then to the power brake unit located near the steering column.

Then a vacuum hose was run to the engine manifold non ported vacuum at the carburetor base. Your the carb on your chev engine should have a port you can connect the hose from the check valve to
Old August 28th, 2018, 08:26 PM

My 57 has 3 carbs. The center carb has a fitting where one side screws into the carb, the other side has 2 ports; one from a mechanical acutuated fuel/vacuum pump and the other goes to a check valve. The check valve then goes to the big canister on the passenger side fender. From there it goes to the brake booster.
Old April 15th, 2020, 07:04 AM

Thanks and yes I have finally gotten the TreadleVac power booster installed, right now the vacuum is run straight to the master since I do not have the valve that splits the vacuum to the reservoir and to the master cylinder.... do you know of a valve that will work, having trouble finding one that I know will be compatible. Thanks
Old April 15th, 2020, 08:21 AM

You will need that valve before you do any driving. Should your engine die/ quit while driving the vacuum tank will empty back through the carburetor and you will have little or no brakes.

You might try 2bl442 on this site he has a couple of fifties Oldsmobiles he is parting out and may have that valve.... Tedd
Old April 15th, 2020, 11:42 AM

Thanks, vacuum hose goes straight to master cylinder and not going to tank at all,

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
You will need that valve before you do any driving. Should your engine die/ quit while driving the vacuum tank will empty back through the carburetor and you will have little or no brakes.

You might try 2bl442 on this site he has a couple of fifties Oldsmobiles he is parting out and may have that valve.... Tedd
Old April 15th, 2020, 11:44 AM

Thanks again ! I’ll look him up on that valve. I’m aware of the issue and that’s why I’m trying to get that valve
Old April 15th, 2020, 11:47 AM

2bl442 hey Would you happen to have that brake valve that goes between tank reservoir and master cylinder?? I have 57 olds. TreadleVac master
Old April 15th, 2020, 06:56 PM

Mistake

Originally Posted by yesiwood
2bl442 hey Would you happen to have that brake valve that goes between tank reservoir and master cylinder?? I have 57 olds. TreadleVac master
Try 2blu442 I missed the u in my post..... Sorry... Tedd