Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Seek assist with ID'ing '49 - '51 Olds

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2024, 07:25 PM

Seek assist with ID'ing '49 - '51 Olds

I'm attempting to identify two of my late uncle's automobiles -- my late father said they were both Oldsmobile's.
The first one here, lighter in color, I'm guessing is a 1949? This guess is based the one (just one) eBay taillight picture I was able to find online (pic in red). I'm perplexed, because other '49's I'm able to find online have different taillight configurations. I'm guessing, from my uncle's photo collection, that the car 'side view' is the same car pictured with my young sister leaning against the trunk.

The second car here, darker in color - two pictures. Again from my online search I cannot verify its model year or make - Olds, Buick? This car has the chrome around the rear window, but there is no chrome along the upper body line above the rear wheel. And the rear of the upper body side has the "curved shoulder" that drops down into the actual taillight (reminiscent of Buicks?). Another observation: The "logo" on the trunk lid is one I've not been able to identify. Does it perhaps have the automobile dealers' badge on it? And there is no "script" above the "logo," as in all other cases I'm finding. These two pictures are the best I can come up with, using a micro lens on the last one.
Ok, any assistance you can offer me in identifying these two autos will be greatly appreciated, and will help me immensely in putting together a story on my late Uncles' life.
Thank You,
Chaze
Old June 17th, 2024, 07:56 AM

The lighter colored car is a '49 98 club sedan. 98s had different tail lights than 88s or 76s.

The darker colored car is a '46 club sedan, going be the trunk emblem. It is hard to tell if it is a 66 series or 70 series. Both series offered a club sedan. Lack of a belt molding leads me to believe it is a 70 series.
Old June 17th, 2024, 09:03 PM

Thank you so very much, Oldsfan! I never would have come close to guessing the year of the '46, having been given the '49 - '51 range to work with! Obviously!
I appreciate your response. My late uncle had good taste when it came to his rides!
Regards,
Chaze