Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Olds 455 Engine Brackets for Street Rod

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:05 PM

Olds 455 Engine Brackets for Street Rod

from http://www.oldhippie.com/forums/soci...for-street-rod where I have photos, as it appears I can't pôst them here

I have a 46 Olds Fastback that I'm putting together as a Street Rod, which has a Old's front clip, 455, and Trans.

It currently has power steering and alternator brackets (no Ac) from a mid 70s Full size Olds - that s spread pretty wide. While it fits, it takes up the entire width of the engine bay. I'd like to add AC and need to be pointed in the right direction. I want to stay V Belt, over Serpentine, and wondering what options are available to go narrow and tall for alternator, power steering, and Ac Compressor - instead of wide and low.

Please post links if you have them. I'd like to do it economically but look good. That said, I'll consider all options, even the more expensive.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:22 PM

I have a 46 Olds Fastback that I'm putting together as a Street Rod, which has a Old's front clip, 455, and Trans.

It currently has power steering and alternator brackets (no Ac) from a mid 70s Full size Olds - that s spread pretty wide. While it fits, it takes up the entire width of the engine bay. I'd like to add AC and need to be pointed in the right direction. I want to stay V Belt, over Serpentine, and wondering what options are available to go narrow and tall for alternator, power steering, and Ac Compressor - instead of wide and low.
__________________________________________________ __

I don't know of any 'kits'. I had the same problem with my 1947 though I don't have AC and don't intend to. The problem is the width between inner fenders. My 455 was out of a 68 full size car. My solution was to modify the existing factory brackets to draw the alternator in closer to the engine and rearward a bit. I kept the 'canned ham' power steering pump but had to modify that bracket too. Its all trial and error. Moving the alternator inboard kept me from having to notch the inner fender on the passenger side but I also had to cut about 1/8 in. from the lip of the aluminum valve cover.
If I was looking to have AC I'd go with a small aftermarket compressor, get rid of the manual fuel pump (lower passenger side of engine) and try to tuck the compressor in there and use an electric pump either in tank or just where the fuel line exits the tank. Some photos of my install attached.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
455 engine front view.jpg (546.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg
455 engine passenger side.jpg (551.7 KB, 26 views)
Old November 4th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dave Schultz
from http://www.oldhippie.com/forums/soci...for-street-rod where I have photos, as it appears I can't pôst them here
Well, it appears that no one else can view them THERE:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin
Old November 4th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

You do realize that the alternator bracket is set up for the SBO configuration, right? The BBO uses the other hole in the top "Y" bracket for the strut.

Old November 4th, 2016, 10:22 AM

Thanks for that information. In order to get everything to fit in nice and snug I had to take some liberties. The important thing to me is the mount is solid, lines up with the other pulleys, is adjustable and clears the inner fender.

On any given project car I spend a lot of time at the pick n' pull yards just looking at what might be adapted to work to solve a given build problem.
Jerry
Old November 4th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Thanks for that information. In order to get everything to fit in nice and snug I had to take some liberties. The important thing to me is the mount is solid, lines up with the other pulleys, is adjustable and clears the inner fender.
I'm surprised. Using that hole would cause the upper bracket to be rotated when viewed from the top, causing the curved adjustment face not to be parallel with the belts.
Old November 26th, 2016, 06:51 AM

I had the same problem with my 37, other than it is a small block. I used the setup from a T/A with the 403. Not sure if you can use any/or all of the brackets or if you would have to modify them.