Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

New Springs on the '55, found gas tank leaking!

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2015, 08:07 AM
Brent in Georgia

New Springs on the '55, found gas tank leaking!

I got the new leaf springs installed on my '55 Rocket 88, not to bad of a job, did it on the garage floor. Still cannot believe the 60 year old U bolts came off with just a little PB Blaster and a 1/2" ratchet. Front shackle bolts had worn thru the bushings, saved the bolts but had to buy new rear shackles. The bumper came up almost 4 inches and my "under the axle" duals will need some work. The best part is how much better it rides,, got that old "cushy" Olds feel back.
I discovered a patch on the side of the gas tank is leaking. Looks like somebody did a JB Weld that gave out. Gonna drop the tank and see if I can find somebody that can fix it. Fusick wants $419 + $111 shipping for just the tank OUCH! I needed to drop it anyway because I run out of fuel at 1/2 on the gage. Been looking on line for a tank that will fit, my local custom exhaust guy said he can move the filler pipe on a new tank, but cannot find one that is less than 8" deep and fit the 28" wide x 29" space.
Anybody seen a tank that is more reasonably priced that could fit ?
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:30 AM

Sorry I can't help you on the tank,but your car looks good. Larry
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:42 AM
Brent in Georgia

Lots of green & whites!

They must have sold a bunch with the green & white. Mine looks better in the pictures than close up. Was repainted about 15 years ago but not a good job, cracking and bubbling around the trim. But I bought it for something to keep this old fart moving and it sure has done that. Had to replace the master cylinder, rear drums & cylinders, new linings all around, with manual brakes everything has to be good to be safe. Also shocks, stablizers, alt. driver & pass. floor just to name a few things. I just want to make it a safe survivor. Being 72 I can actually remember what they looked like when they were NEW. I worked in a Texaco station part time from High school until I was about 35. So I worked on a lot of these classics when they were almost new.....
Yours looks great, I really was looking for a 57, I had one in HS with the J2 tripower, it was a gold 2 door post car and it could beat almost anything back then, never lost to any stock Chev's or Fords....hey thanks for the look and enjoy your beauty!.......
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Fusick just started selling those tank a year or so ago. The best alternative might be to find a decent used tank and take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned and a liner put in it. I think Buick had the same tank so that may help your search.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:07 AM
Brent in Georgia

Found a better price

Kanter has the '55 tank for $329, https://www.kanter.com/productdetail...Router=Catalog straps for $49 and shipping 15%. Not the fancy '56 tank that has the clearance for the left tail pipe, but I already have the pipes going under the axle, my exhaust guy said he can weld in new pieces to drop the pipes to clear the axle. Only thing is if I need to change a rear tire gotta drop the rear hanger to get enough to get the 225/75's out.
Guess by now I should know better and check (or call) Kanter FIRST! They have saved me a bunch of money.....I already got $4500 invested in parts just for a survivor, cannot guess what a full blown restore would cost........
Weather here in N Georgia kinda cold for working out in the garage today, but as soon as it warms up I am pulling the tank to see if it can be saved.

Still cannot believe how much better she rides and handles with the new springs, shocks and stabilizer bushings, not the same car I bought home.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:47 AM

That's just a generic tank that could be found cheaper elsewhere (Kanter is overpriced) And it looks like it holds 3 less gallons than the original
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:18 AM
Brent in Georgia

Hey 59-59-59 if you know where there is a cheaper price let me know, I have looked every where and that is the best I can find....
Old February 25th, 2016, 10:03 PM

Brent, where did you buy the rear springs for the 55 ?? I need to replace mine, thanks
Frank Allen
Old February 26th, 2016, 04:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Try Tanks Inc. It is listed as a 54 Buick but will tell you it also fits Olds. Here is the link:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd130.htm
Old February 26th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Brent in Georgia

Best deal and service at General Spring
http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/70-195.htm
If you are looking to for anything higher than the stock ride, call them they can add an extra leaf, I should have !
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Frank Allen
Brent, where did you buy the rear springs for the 55 ?? I need to replace mine, thanks
Frank Allen
There are businesses that specialize in spring repair probably local to you. They can replace, re-arch, and rebuild spring packs.
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:38 AM

Frank Allen,Truckspring.com has them listed for a '55 for $110.50. You may want to call them and check to see if you need to order the bushings separately. They are located in Michigan,and have had the '55 Olds springs listed for several years. Larry
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Guys, the OP is looking for a gas tank. He already has springs. We need to get this thread back on track. Maybe somebody should start a new thread for the springs.
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:44 AM

Thanks Larry, I will check today, mine are a little worn out after all these yrs, had read about this company before but had forgotten where, so ill put them in my list of suppliers, thanks
Frank allen