Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Meet "Maggie"

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:21 PM

Meet "Maggie"

She's a little rough around the edges (a little?) but she's mine for now.

Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:27 PM

I think her behind was sitting out from under a shed for a while. The rear bumper is very rusty, while the front, not so bad. Lots of cancer spots all over her; floor pans, rockers, some around the hood and truck edges, etc. Nothing a little 18 gauge steel and a MIG welder won't fix.

She also ran on about two cylinders trying to drive her home; ended up getting her here on a rollback. I pulled the plugs, they were AC's that say "Made in Flint, MI" on them - have no idea how old they are. Replaced the plugs, and found out that someone must have thought it was a Chevrolet firing order because #3 and #5 wires were crossed. So now Maggie starts and purrs, but has one heck of a miss when driving. I know the carb is fat (rich?) because of all the smoke that comes inside through the non-existent floor pans (sheet metal riveted in with no sealer).

The passenger front window lifts out - I don't think this was an option in 1957; lift out windows! The bottom channel with the retaining bracket is rusted gone about three-four inches in front of the back edge. I am trying to find one now. I have a local guy that can cut all my flat glass for me very reasonable.

The speedo needle is detached, I just received my 1957 Shop Manual to figure out how to pull it and repair. The speedo cable is also detached.

Hard to tell what else I'll find, guys and gals, so if you have any suggestions I'll gladly listen to them.

Steve
Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:42 PM
Administrator

She's got nice lines for a more door.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 07:14 PM

It cost the same to restore a rusty two door as it does a rusty four door and the market is lean on four door buyers.... Just saying.. It would make a great parts car or a good cruiser if you plan on keeping it for ever..... Tedd
Old May 2nd, 2016, 07:14 PM

Good luck with her, make her shine again
Old May 2nd, 2016, 07:32 PM

She does have nice lines. More doors allow the grandkids to get in and out without moving your seat back.

Not sure what will happen yet, Tedd. I am in the very early stages with it right now, it really depends on what all I find when I put it on the lift and dig in deep. The main object right now is to get it running "right". Once that happens I'll make a decision on whether to restore, use for parts, part out, etc.

I have all the trim for it and it looks very original so far. As I said, a deeper inspection will end up making a decision for me probably.

Steve
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:45 PM

Well she's a 57 with great curves and oh what a smile. A little lipstick, a little help with some makeup and she'll turn heads again. What can I say I'm partial to 59 year old gals
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

She is a 4 door hardtop. It is one of the 4 doors I think looks great. I hope she is desirable.
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:34 PM

If you don't have to jump through hoops for at state inspection, I'd be tempted to go with the rat rod look while you sort out the mechanicals, then drive it awhile. Maybe do a little inexpensive interior work and fix the driver door glass.
Old May 7th, 2016, 08:03 AM

We don't have a state inspection in Tennessee, and I am thinking that is what we are going to do for now. Fix the side glass all around, seal the leaks with new weatherstripping, and see how it drives to sort everything else out. Thanks Russ.

Steve