Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Measurements of antenna location in 41

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2021, 04:31 PM

Measurements of antenna location in 41

The original radio that came with my car is being restored but there is no antenna hole on the car. Previous owner either sealed it or it never had one. Can you provide the exact location where the hole has to be drilled? I found this photo on the internet which looks stock, but still I need some reference measurements so I place the antenna where originally was. It will be very helpful to know how many inches from the fender chrome moulding and from the edge of the cowl. Hope the owner of an early 40s reads this post. Thank you.

Old October 19th, 2021, 03:52 AM

Is your car a 66 or 68 Series ?? If so then the templates & drawings are in the '41 Technical Bulletins and my brother Powermat can scan and post them here for you.

Last edited by 35olds; October 19th, 2021 at 04:17 AM.
Old October 19th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by 35olds
Is your car a 66 or 68 Series ?? If so then the templates & drawings are in the '41 Technical Bulletins and my brother Powermat can scan and post them here for you.
Mine is a 78 Series. I expect the location of antenna will be the same for other Series. Please ask your brother to post what he has. Thank you ! Manuel
Old October 19th, 2021, 11:10 AM

Do you have an OE antenna? If not, why install it if your doing a concours restoration? You can get an antenna and hide it in the car (behind the bumper or in the trunk) if you just want an antenna for your radio.

Truthfully, the best place on a vehicle for an antenna is in the center of the roof. It allows the vehicle to act as an ground plane for the antenna. I've never seen an OE antenna put in the center of the roof and rarely do hobbyists mount the antenna optimally. FWIW, my ham radio antenna mount is on the trunk opposite the AM/FM radio antenna.
Old October 19th, 2021, 12:20 PM

Good comments, thank you. No, it is not a concourse restoration, is a driver, but the car is stock in just about everything. I will use an antenna that will be OK for this vintage but is not OEM. My preference is to have a visible antenna placed where the factory did. At car shows, when I see cars from 40s-50s-60s with a beautiful radio on the dash I expect to see an antenna somewhere. It provides the impression of being complete. I am happy with simple AM reception when driving an old car.
Old October 19th, 2021, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor's Olds
Mine is a 78 Series. I expect the location of antenna will be the same for other Series. Please ask your brother to post what he has. Thank you ! Manuel
Ok, the location is certainly different for the smaller 66 & 68 series cars as shown in this original template from the Technical Bulletins but I'd expect the 70 & 90 Series are likely the same. I'll ask Powermat to measure and take some photos of his 98 Phaeton.

Last edited by 35olds; October 19th, 2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old October 19th, 2021, 04:17 PM

Early 50's Buicks had their antenna at the top centre of the windshield. And it rotated manually.
Old October 19th, 2021, 05:49 PM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=35olds;1377905]Ok, the location is certainly different for the smaller 66 & 68 series cars as shown in this original template from the Technical Bulletins but I'd expect the 70 & 90 Series are likely the same. I'll ask Powermat to measure and take some photos of his 98 Phaeton.
/QUOTE]

Appreciate your help from across the globe ! Look forward to additional input from Powermat. Thank you. Manuel
Old October 20th, 2021, 03:59 AM

[QUOTE=Doctor's Olds;1377979]
Originally Posted by 35olds
Ok, the location is certainly different for the smaller 66 & 68 series cars as shown in this original template from the Technical Bulletins but I'd expect the 70 & 90 Series are likely the same. I'll ask Powermat to measure and take some photos of his 98 Phaeton.
/QUOTE]

Appreciate your help from across the globe ! Look forward to additional input from Powermat. Thank you. Manuel
Hi Manuel,
Here are a couple of photos that should help. The white car is a '41 78 which is using an aftermarket antenna in the original location. The black car is my brothers '41 98 Phaeton, which we believe is an original antenna base but it appears to be too close to the front edge. There's also a PDF at the bottom relating to the 60 Series Antenna and a revised location. Do you have an original antenna ?

Attached Files

Last edited by 35olds; October 22nd, 2021 at 03:40 AM.
Old October 20th, 2021, 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=35olds;1378028]
Originally Posted by Doctor's Olds
Hi Manuel,
Here are a couple of photos that should help. The white car is a '41 78 which is using an aftermarket antenna in the original location. The black car is my brothers '41 98 Phaeton, which we believe is an original antenna base but it appears to be too close to the front edge. There's also a PDF at the bottom relating to the 60 Series Antenna and a revised location. Do you have an original antenna ?
Great, very helpful photos. I will follow what I see on the white car. Not hard to guess where to drill the hole by looking at the photo. I reviewed the Service Bulletin page you posted and I did crawl under the dash to check for interference of other parts. There is no interference from parking brake bracket or from any other metal components under the end section of the cowl. It is actually wide open space and the lower part of the antenna will fit providing is a short shaft, no more than 2.5 inches or so.

In regards to which antenna, I will use an aftermarket that looks "period correct" (term used by sellers who don't have the original part LOL). I don't think will ever find an original antenna and it won't matter much providing is one that looks appropriate for this vintage. Thank you again ! Cheers, Manuel

Old October 21st, 2021, 05:32 AM

Manuel, post a pic once you finish the install.
Old October 21st, 2021, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Manuel, post a pic once you finish the install.
I will, but will be about 3 months until I receive the restored radio back. In case anyone is interested, the restorer is Joe at https://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/ in Laurens, SC. He does all types of classic car radios. Did a 1958 Rambler for me and the work was high quality. Hope the Olds radio will be the same

Old October 22nd, 2021, 05:23 AM

Awesome before pic!

Are you getting a stock restoration done or are you having him add AUX inputs and Bluetooth?

Maybe I'll have to get the OE radio in my 71 98 redone. I had a Kenwood head unit in a box under the dash but I replaced it with a Sony head unit I got at the salvage yard. There's a reason that Sony one was in a car in the junkyard. It's pitiful.
Old October 22nd, 2021, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Awesome before pic!

Are you getting a stock restoration done or are you having him add AUX inputs and Bluetooth?

Maybe I'll have to get the OE radio in my 71 98 redone. I had a Kenwood head unit in a box under the dash but I replaced it with a Sony head unit I got at the salvage yard. There's a reason that Sony one was in a car in the junkyard. It's pitiful.
Stock restoration, I am happy with basic technology like AM radio in the Olds. Things like AUX and Bluetooh are neologisms for me. Anything more than tuning AM or FM radio and I need help from my grown up kids !

If you plan to contact Joe's classic radio, the waiting time is 3-4 months